Do you want to die? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

Why do you want to be dead at 60 specifically?

Probably because we live in a society that treats aging as a disease with no cure and no hope, and a lot of the elderly are treated like lepers?

60 is the new 40. Why?

• Medical advances
  • Better Nutrition
  • Longer lifespan from the above
  • New awareness

So dear Stanie, perhaps you may want to embrace the day you turn 60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 10-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

Why do you want to be dead at 60 specifically?

I want to be dead by time im 60, i dont want to live any longer than that. My knees are screwed, i think ill probably get arthritis, and ill have sucked enough out of this planet by then, in fact ive sucked enough out of it already.
#93 Old 10-11-2009, 01:06 PM

fark dying, i dont wanna miss what goes on in the future. sometimes i dont even like sleeping cuz im afraid ill miss out on something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 10-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Funny you should mention sleeping, cos i nearly die every night in my sleep, well, thats what concerns my wife. My wife says i have sleep apnea.
#95 Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromache View Post

Eternal life is a naive desire. Given infinite time you would experience every experience infinitely.

I disagree. As I go through life, I notice so many things that I don't know... That I could learn given sufficient time.

Chemistry, engineering, how to fix a car, etc, etc, etc. Given multiple life times, I could actual lean so much about the world around me. (of course this assumes I would be able to maintain my health and could get around on my own, but I think that's partially what immortality would imply anyway)

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#96 Old 10-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't mind dying. I just hope there isn't a lot of pain and disability that goes along with it. I would rather die in a quick accident in perfect health than go through that. I'm way too careful for that. I guess it's pain and suffering for me. *sigh*
#97 Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Hearing other people talk about this issue makes me feel a bit better. I'm still considering seeing a therapist or something about it, because I truly do think about my own mortality every single day. In the last week, at least once every waking hour. This is no way to live. It's possible I have some sort of anxiety disorder or something....and I'm afraid the inability to sleep will turn me into an alcoholic.

i really hope you take up exercise. over exercise! exercise until you're so tired you can't help but sleep! one of the ways i do this is work in my garden/fig farm. it doesn't seem like exercise at all. just find something that you really love to do that is physical work and really go after it. are you avoiding soda?

please don't start taking anti anxiety meds. that is a road to hell, and i've seen it ad nauseum. you are a beautiful young girl and what a waste that would be .
#98 Old 10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

I disagree. As I go through life, I notice so many things that I don't know... That I could learn given sufficient time.

Chemistry, engineering, how to fix a car, etc, etc, etc. Given multiple life times, I could actual lean so much about the world around me. (of course this assumes I would be able to maintain my health and could get around on my own, but I think that's partially what immortality would imply anyway)

I don't think you're grasping the 'infinite' part. Assuming there could be infinite time, there still cannot be infinite human experiences.
#99 Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

Eternal life is a naive desire. Given infinite time you would experience every experience infinitely.. it would be hell!

I don't understand your reasoning. If someone were to, say, suddenly attack me and shoot me in my left arm, how would eternal life mean that I would experience this experience "infinitely" and not for a short period of time and only once?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#100 Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't think you're grasping the 'infinite' part. Assuming there could be infinite time, there still cannot be infinite human experiences.

There is no such thing as infinite time, so it's a non-issue.

Then we would have to define immortality. Does it include invulnerability too, or could you die from an accident.

Besides, what's the problem with re-living experiences over again?. The same action can be experienced in multiple ways, so it's not always exactly the same...

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#101 Old 10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

There is no such thing as infinite time, so it's a non-issue.

Well, no, but nobody can live for ever either. It's hypothetical.

Quote:

Then we would have to define immortality. Does it include invulnerability too, or could you die from an accident.

Let's just assume it means never dying, i.e. living forever.

Quote:

Besides, what's the problem with re-living experiences over again?. The same action can be experienced in multiple ways, so it's not always exactly the same...

Indeed, but there are a finite number of permutations. In (hypothetical) infinite time, you would re-live every experience infinitely.
#102 Old 10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I don't understand your reasoning. If someone were to, say, suddenly attack me and shoot me in my left arm, how would eternal life mean that I would experience this experience "infinitely" and not for a short period of time and only once?

I'm saying you've got finite experiences and infinite time. It's like playing the same records over and over, eventually it's going to get tedious.
#103 Old 10-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm saying you've got finite experiences and infinite time. It's like playing the same records over and over, eventually it's going to get tedious.

i can't imagine anyone would ever tire of choking sevenseas .
#104 Old 10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, from infinite time and a finite number of possible experiences it does not follow that (per what you said earlier) every experience would be experienced infinitely, only that some would. Many experiences require unique sets of circumstances and there's no reason to assume those sets of circumstances would repeat themselves -- such as the existence of some psycho who would shoot my arm.

The assumption of finite experiences could be rejected by allowing references to time (the current timepoint) in the defining features of some experiences: experiences such as "I love that I'm still alive at 5 pm Oct 11 09, I love that I've lived this long" allow for infinite variation.

And psychologically speaking, the repetition of experiences would not necessarily be hell for all those experiences because, assuming our brain power etc. would not dramatically improve, there would be no way to store into memory all experiences experienced through an eternal life -- some experiences would lose even the faintest hint of familiarity because to assume otherwise would be to assume limitless memory.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#105 Old 10-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

If I were Tom Cruise my answer would be yes. And soon!
#106 Old 10-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

Well, from infinite time and a finite number of possible experiences it does not follow that (per what you said earlier) every experience would be experienced infinitely, only that some would. Many experiences require unique sets of circumstances and there's no reason to assume those sets of circumstances would repeat themselves -- such as the existence of some psycho who would shoot my arm.

The assumption of finite experiences could be rejected by allowing references to time (the current timepoint) in the defining features of some experiences: experiences such as "I love that I'm still alive at 5 pm Oct 11 09, I love that I've lived this long" allow for infinite variation.

And psychologically speaking, the repetition of experiences would not necessarily be hell for all those experiences because, assuming our brain power etc. would not dramatically improve, there would be no way to store into memory all experiences experienced through an eternal life -- some experiences would lose even the faintest hint of familiarity because to assume otherwise would be to assume limitless memory.

assuming the events are random, then if there is a statistical occurrence, if you had infinite time, why wouldn't you experience the same occurrence infinite times?

perhaps it would be 100,000 years before you got shot in the left arm again. or 100 million. the time is a non issue, since you've got infinite time to be shot in the left arm again, an infinite number of times.
#107 Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

yes, I'd like to die some day when the body and brain wear out. I would like it to be at a point when I've done a lot of what I wanted to do and experience in life and maybe having helped make things a little better for those that are still living.
#108 Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes...

Sometimes I can't be arsed living.
#109 Old 10-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

Probably because we live in a society that treats aging as a disease with no cure and no hope, and a lot of the elderly are treated like lepers?

60 is the new 40. Why?

• Medical advances
  • Better Nutrition
  • Longer lifespan from the above
  • New awareness

So dear Stanie, perhaps you may want to embrace the day you turn 60

I don't view 60 as really old either. I can understand 70 but not 60.

I wish that there was a little pill you could take that would knock you unconscious and end your life while you were unconscious. Knowing that you have control over your own destiny/when you die is liberating, I bet it would reduce a lot of the suicides (never mind suffering) in the world. My views on autonomy have changed a little though, if it can be guaranteed that a person's depression or condition is minor and can be easily cured then maybe we should restrain them for a very short period of time so as to prevent them from impulsively commiting suicide. I may have a completely different opinion tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind living indefinitely if I had this pill and if I no longer needed food or water. I wonder if the claim that life gets boring after a while is just a defense mechanism to deal with our inevitable demise. I also wonder if science ever really will cure death or at least extend human life indefinitely.
#110 Old 10-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk0 View Post

If I were Tom Cruise my answer would be yes. And soon!

^^^I used the WIN-o-meter 2500 on that post, and it started beepin' like crazy.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#111 Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

assuming the events are random, then if there is a statistical occurrence, if you had infinite time, why wouldn't you experience the same occurrence infinite times?

Well that's the thing, I don't believe they're random. It's not like the guy shooting my arm wouldn't have its background conditions (the availability of the gun, the guy existing in the first place, his psychological motivation). Infinite time and eternal life would be compatible with me never meeting another human being on the planet ever again after the shooting.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#112 Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Beginner

without reading this i'm just gunna throw my vote in as yes. on mondays.
#113 Old 10-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, from infinite time and a finite number of possible experiences it does not follow that (per what you said earlier) every experience would be experienced infinitely, only that some would.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that there are only finite experiences.

Quote:

Many experiences require unique sets of circumstances and there's no reason to assume those sets of circumstances would repeat themselves -- such as the existence of some psycho who would shoot my arm.

These unique sets of circumstances are not so unique in the context of infinite. There would still be a finite number of combinations or perturbations.

Quote:

Fair enough, you can allow for imperfections in memory. We don't really know how the brain stores memories or how many memories could be stored. But then if memories are imperfect, the potential infinite variation given references to time would be discounted.
#114 Old 10-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky chicken View Post

without reading this i'm just gunna throw my vote in as yes. on mondays.

m8itcanw8.com
#115 Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But then if memories are imperfect, the potential infinite variation given references to time would be discounted.

I don't see what our memories have to do with the endless amount of potential time-relative experiences we could experience during an eternal life.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page