The thanksgiving sham - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 10-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Thats what it is, a sham.

Why do people seem to ignore the mass genocide that took place in north america when "celebrating" this day?
stanie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Semicharmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,801
I celebrate hanging out with my family. Nothing more, nothing less.
Semicharmed is offline  
#3 Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AddieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I'm celebrate hanging out with my family. Nothing more, nothing less.



This.



My family LOVES Thanksgiving mainly because it's a time we all get to enjoy enachother's company. Everyone is home and we just hang out, play games, etc.
AddieB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 10-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

Thats what it is, a sham.

Why do people seem to ignore the mass genocide that took place in north america when "celebrating" this day?



So, people cannot celebrate a day of thanks, or simply enjoy a holiday tradition that involves spending time with family, without being expected to acknowledge what happened centuries ago?

Why does that belief apply to Thanksgiving only?
MoustacheJohn is offline  
#5 Old 10-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Semicharmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

This.



My family LOVES Thanksgiving mainly because it's a time we all get to enjoy enachother's company. Everyone is home and we just hang out, play games, etc.



ACK. I made a typo. *handface*



Anyway, yeah... The last time I associated Thanksgiving with Pilgrims or Native Americans, it was in grade school. As an adult, I don't "celebrate" anything historical. Nor do I pointedly ignore anything historical.



I just talk to my family, and enjoy their company.
Semicharmed is offline  
#6 Old 10-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
s0ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 998
While I think our behavior and actions towards Native Americans was horrible and disgraceful, I believe thanksgiving (at least for me) allows me to step back and appreciate my family and be grateful for what I have. I also donate food and participate in food drives, and really enjoy it, and know many others who do also.



While I think our past actions were unacceptable (and perhaps even the attitude towards Native Americans today), I can't change time, nor can I change the actions of everyone.



I think our actions should be remembered, as to not be repeated (as goes slavery... animal cruelty?), but I think the holiday today has evolved into something different, just as with Christmas. Many people celebrate Christmas (me, my boyfriend, best friend), however we are not religious. I think that for many (note: not all) certain holidays have become time off to spend with family, give gifts, and perhaps even give to those less fortunate, and almost have lost original intentions.



I think perhaps having a day of remorse/remembrance or a month dedicated to the past might be better, than turning what is now usually a happy holiday (aside from all the pigs and turkeys that are slaughtered) into a day of sadness as it wouldn't accomplish anything.



The world's past history is filled with unjustness, brutality, and cruelness. I think without breaks every once in a while, many people would be much more miserable, leading to an unhappier world.



But that is just my take on it.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
s0ad is offline  
#7 Old 10-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

Thats what it is, a sham.

Why do people seem to ignore the mass genocide that took place in north america when "celebrating" this day?

I don't think the origins are that relevant, although it does strike me as a bit weird. I think a bigger problem is the existence of too many holidays, period. But since it's an American holiday (and apparently Canadian too), it doesn't really concern or bother me that much, except for the animal exploitation.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#8 Old 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Treehugger267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,795
I'm for all holidays because I get to have my hoodlums home from school w/ me.



If I got too thinkie, I suppose I could find some fault w/ most of them.
Treehugger267 is offline  
#9 Old 10-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoustacheJohn View Post

So, people cannot celebrate a day of thanks, or simply enjoy a holiday tradition that involves spending time with family, without being expected to acknowledge what happened centuries ago?

Why does that belief apply to Thanksgiving only?



"Hey, thanks for letting us kick your ass, steal your land, rape your women, and in return, you can thank us for giving you alcoholism!"



Why do people feel they can only spend time with family on these holidays? Are people that stupid that they have to be TOLD when to spend time with others?



Oh, it dosnt apply to just thanksgiving, theres christmas, easter and all the other xtian crap
stanie is offline  
#10 Old 10-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Semicharmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

Why do people feel they can only spend time with family on these holidays? Are people that stupid that they have to be TOLD when to spend time with others?



Yes. You're SO right. It's my STUPIDITY that allows family members to gather because they have time off from school, college, and work.
Semicharmed is offline  
#11 Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AddieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

"Hey, thanks for letting us kick your ass, steal your land, rape your women, and in return, you can thank us for giving you alcoholism!"



Why do people feel they can only spend time with family on these holidays? Are people that stupid that they have to be TOLD when to spend time with others?



Oh, it dosnt apply to just thanksgiving, theres christmas, easter and all the other xtian crap



Of course people can spend time with their families at other points, but for us Thanksgiving is nice because:



1. It is a work holidy for me so I won't be traveling.

2. My fiance won't have classes.

3. My little brother will be home from college.

4. My other brother won't have work (he works a lot on weekends).



Of course we spend time together at other points in the year, but we love it because it's a time when all of us can get together and not have to worry about everything that's going on in our lives.
AddieB is offline  
#12 Old 10-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
synergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

"Hey, thanks for letting us kick your ass, steal your land, rape your women, and in return, you can thank us for giving you alcoholism!"



Why do people feel they can only spend time with family on these holidays? Are people that stupid that they have to be TOLD when to spend time with others?



Oh, it dosnt apply to just thanksgiving, theres christmas, easter and all the other xtian crap



Well, it's certainly a little easier to spend time with your family when you all get the day off work and school on a long weekend so those of us who have to travel to be with our families can do so more easily.



Every holiday, and every day is going to be what you make of it. I'm not a huge thanksgiving fan but I really appreciate the concept of gratitude and thanksgiving, and anything that helps people step outside of their regular frame of mind and think about what they have to be grateful for is a fantastic thing.



Try focusing on the positives, in the present, the things we can do now that we have the holiday in place, rather than the past, the negative and things we cannot change.



No point in *****ing about it. That does nothing except fuel your negativity and rage. Try doing something proactive. Maybe take the time to organize an event to do something positive, like raise money to combat alcoholism within the native populations.



I am spending today with my family because I can't spend actual thanksgiving with them (it's this weekend in Canada). No turkey, no big todo. Just us spending time together and enjoying each other's company, and I will be grateful for every moment.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
synergy is offline  
#13 Old 10-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

"Hey, thanks for letting us kick your ass, steal your land, rape your women, and in return, you can thank us for giving you alcoholism!"



I know of no requirement that anyone gives thanks that day. If they choose not to do so because of bitterness from the past, then so be it.



Quote:

Why do people feel they can only spend time with family on these holidays? Are people that stupid that they have to be TOLD when to spend time with others?



Please tell me you simply ran out of even semi-intelligent rants, and felt the need to say that just try and keep the pot stirred.



Quote:

Oh, it dosnt apply to just thanksgiving, theres christmas, easter and all the other xtian crap



How dare people celebrate their religions! *******s.
MoustacheJohn is offline  
#14 Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Well, it's certainly a little easier to spend time with your family when you all get the day off work and school on a long weekend so those of us who have to travel to be with our families can do so more easily.



Every holiday, and every day is going to be what you make of it. I'm not a huge thanksgiving fan but I really appreciate the concept of gratitude and thanksgiving, and anything that helps people step outside of their regular frame of mind and think about what they have to be grateful for is a fantastic thing.



Try focusing on the positives, in the present, the things we can do now that we have the holiday in place, rather than the past, the negative and things we cannot change.



No point in *****ing about it. That does nothing except fuel your negativity and rage. Try doing something proactive. Maybe take the time to organize an event to do something positive, like raise money to combat alcoholism within the native populations.



I am spending today with my family because I can't spend actual thanksgiving with them (it's this weekend in Canada). No turkey, no big todo. Just us spending time together and enjoying each other's company, and I will be grateful for every moment.



Solid, rational response. It has no business in this thread.
MoustacheJohn is offline  
#15 Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular
 
s0ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 998
Quote:
"Hey, thanks for letting us kick your ass, steal your land, rape your women, and in return, you can thank us for giving you alcoholism!"



Why do people feel they can only spend time with family on these holidays? Are people that stupid that they have to be TOLD when to spend time with others?



Oh, it dosnt apply to just thanksgiving, theres christmas, easter and all the other xtian crap



Being away at college, no, without a recognized holiday I would not be able to go home to my family. Also wouldn't get time off from my two part time jobs. Without it I wouldn't be able to have the extra time to volunteer. If not for me being "told" when to take my holiday, I'd be constantly worrying about papers, tests, and finding an internship. Holidays are a nice little time to take a step back for me because its a break from my work.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
s0ad is offline  
#16 Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

"Hey, thanks for letting us kick your ass, steal your land, rape your women, and in return, you can thank us for giving you alcoholism!"



Why do people feel they can only spend time with family on these holidays? Are people that stupid that they have to be TOLD when to spend time with others?



Oh, it dosnt apply to just thanksgiving, theres christmas, easter and all the other xtian crap



im sensing heaps of misplaced anger in your posts, would you like to share with us what it is thats really bothering you ??
GhostUser is offline  
#17 Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
There should be more yearly periods of free (family) time that wouldn't revolve around a specific theme or topic of celebration.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#18 Old 10-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Treehugger267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

There should be more yearly periods of free (family) time that wouldn't revolve around a specific theme or topic of celebration.



That would get my vote
Treehugger267 is offline  
#19 Old 10-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Savannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,908
Like others have said, it allows some of us--like yours truly--to go home from school and hang with the family. Or, it allows people that live a distance from each other to get together. I have the feeling that the historical roots of the holiday don't carry much weight with the majority of people in the USA. It seems to be viewed as an occasion for family get-togethers by many.
Savannah is offline  
#20 Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Yes. You're SO right. It's my STUPIDITY that allows family members to gather because they have time off from school, college, and work.



The ONLY time americans get time off work and school is for thanksgiving or ****mas?

Now, what does that tell you?
stanie is offline  
#21 Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Of course people can spend time with their families at other points, but for us Thanksgiving is nice because:



1. It is a work holidy for me so I won't be traveling.

2. My fiance won't have classes.

3. My little brother will be home from college.

4. My other brother won't have work (he works a lot on weekends).



Of course we spend time together at other points in the year, but we love it because it's a time when all of us can get together and not have to worry about everything that's going on in our lives.

And thats the same reason millions of americans give, not so much fior native americans i might add.
stanie is offline  
#22 Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

im sensing heaps of misplaced anger in your posts, would you like to share with us what it is thats really bothering you ??



Maybe, just maybe, its the mass slaughter and racism native americans received just so you can all give presents and share laughs?
stanie is offline  
#23 Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

The ONLY time americans get time off work and school is for thanksgiving or ****mas?

Now, what does that tell you?



That you struggle with reading comprehension?
MoustacheJohn is offline  
#24 Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

Maybe, just maybe, its the mass slaughter and racism native americans received just so you can all give presents and share laughs?



I don't think kali celebrates Thanksgiving down under.
MoustacheJohn is offline  
#25 Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

Like others have said, it allows some of us--like yours truly--to go home from school and hang with the family. Or, it allows people that live a distance from each other to get together. I have the feeling that the historical roots of the holiday don't carry much weight with the majority of people in the USA. It seems to be viewed as an occasion for family get-togethers by many.

I understand how the time will be used for people to see family and friends, its the "celebration" and consumerism that goes with that, that sickens me.

For me, ****mas day is the 25th of december, ill just see it as any other day off, and ill go ride my mountain bike. Thanksgiving would be no different.
stanie is offline  
#26 Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Treehugger267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,795
Quote:
I understand how the time will be used for people to see family and friends, its the "celebration" and consumerism that goes with that, that sickens me.



hmm We don't exchange anything on Thanksgiving, have we been doing it wrong?
Treehugger267 is offline  
#27 Old 10-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoustacheJohn View Post

I don't think kali celebrates Thanksgiving down under.



Well it wont mean her then, will it?
stanie is offline  
#28 Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

hmm We don't exchange anything on Thanksgiving, have we been doing it wrong?

I didnt say anything about exchanging.
stanie is offline  
#29 Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AddieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

hmm We don't exchange anything on Thanksgiving, have we been doing it wrong?



We don't either.



I can understand that "consummerism" associated with Christmas, but I don't get the link to Thanksgiving.
AddieB is offline  
#30 Old 10-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

We don't either.



I can understand that "consummerism" associated with Christmas, but I don't get the link to Thanksgiving.



The dinner stands out as one big aspect to consumerism at this time. Im pretty sure capitalism does well over thanksgiving.
stanie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off