No, it's about your attitude

Me being appalled at the "celebration" is not an attitude, its an opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 10-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

since he never did, I guess we will never know.

Thats why i said do you "think". But thats cool, you can ignore it
#153 Old 10-09-2009, 01:14 PM

Kenickie, the Wikipedia article has some references to the religious aspects: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksg...(United_States). I don't mean that it's celebrated that way *now* (although it's definitely a part of most family celebrations in the conservative Midwest where I grew up), just that it's historically associated with giving thanks to God.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 10-09-2009, 02:28 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Kenickie, the Wikipedia article has some references to the religious aspects: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksg...(United_States). I don't mean that it's celebrated that way *now* (although it's definitely a part of most family celebrations in the conservative Midwest where I grew up), just that it's historically associated with giving thanks to God.

wait...i think i said that there are religious aspects to thanksgiving?

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#155 Old 10-09-2009, 04:53 PM

My original response in this vein was to say that I don't think the holiday was introduced as a way of assuaging white guilt. The religious part only came into it, because that's what I see as the primary focus for the early years (say pre-20th Century) of Thanksgiving's existence.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#156 Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:

My original response in this vein was to say that I don't think the holiday was introduced as a way of assuaging white guilt. The religious part only came into it, because that's what I see as the primary focus for the early years (say pre-20th Century) of Thanksgiving's existence.

oh i see what you are saying.

#157 Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

For plenty of people, Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and Labor Day also involve some prayers, etc. I can't think of any national holidays that, for at least some significant number of people, don't include any religious aspects.
#158 Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

For plenty of people, Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and Labor Day also involve some prayers, etc. I can't think of any national holidays that, for at least some significant number of people, don't include any religious aspects.

New Years Day?

#159 Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

New Years Day?

"Dear God, please make this hangover go away. I promise to never drink champagne again, if you could just make the pain stop. In Jesus' name, Amen"

Nec Aspera Terrent
#160 Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

"Dear God, please make this hangover go away. I promise to never drink champagne again, if you could just make the pain stop. In Jesus' name, Amen"

#161 Old 10-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

blarg you can drink engough champsgne to get a hangover? For me its one drink at most for a toast then its back to the scotch. Never could stomach the stuff.
#162 Old 10-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Champagne nights were always "two or three bottles of the good stuff (Freixenet - $15) for me, and Andre for everyone else."

Nec Aspera Terrent
#163 Old 10-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

New Years Day?

Nope. Plenty of churches, protestant and catholic, hold special New Years Eve services.
#164 Old 10-10-2009, 03:43 AM

Yep. Back in my more religious days, we spent nearly every NY Eve with other Christians, and had some midnight prayers, etc.

Part of my point re: Thanksgiving was that giving thanks to God was one of the primary purposes of the holiday though. (hence the name) I don't think the same can be said about Independence Day, et. al. However, I didn't really mean to start an argument about the religious nature of Thanksgiving. My comment, again, was to refute the suggestion that it was a holiday planned to deal with white man's guilt over slaughter of Native Americans, etc.

#165 Old 10-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

I disagree, I was raised Catholic and we never had a Thanksgiving Mass.

The holiday in and of itself has nothing to do with religion, giving thanks for a bountiful harvest, or even the food on the table at night has little to do with religion as a practice.

Quote:

Quote:

New Years Day?

Quote:

Nope. Plenty of churches, protestant and catholic, hold special New Years Eve services.

Quote:

Yep. Back in my more religious days, we spent nearly every NY Eve with other Christians, and had some midnight prayers, etc.

New Year's Day is a Holy Day of Obligation (Mary, Mother of God or the Solemnity of Mary). I believe there are six H. D. of O.

Thanksgiving is not one of them, but all of the Catholic parishes that I know of offer a mass on Thanksgiving Day for anyone who wants to attend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page