Animal Rights in Congress - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

http://animalwelfare.kucinich.us/

Quote:
Our mission as human beings can truly be to elevate this world from a condition of suffering and cruelty to the planet's creatures, and towards a condition of compassion and inherent respect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I do appreciate Kucinich's animal rights stance but I'm afraid he doesn't have a very high standing in Congress.
#3 Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

I don't know that he's that much of an AR supporter, though:

http://kucinich.us/index.php?option=...1665&Itemid=48

Quote:
My farm policy favors independent and family-owned farms. I support a national ban on packer ownership of livestock, and numerous new incentives for farmers to convert to sustainable and organic farming and ranching techniques. The vision of the meat that we consume coming from happy and healthy free-range animals can become more of a reality...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

I don't know that he's that much of an AR supporter, though

I'm about 99% sure, on a personal level, that he is a veg*n. I think his stance constitutes political reality that he would probably be unelectable if he called for a ban on meat. I'm guessing that he recognizes that he may be unable to prevent animal deaths but he can work to make their lives a little better.
#5 Old 09-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

From the link that Troub provided:

Quote:
My farm policy favors independent and family-owned farms. I support a national ban on packer ownership of livestock, and numerous new incentives for farmers to convert to sustainable and organic farming and ranching techniques. The vision of the meat that we consume coming from happy and healthy free-range animals can become more of a reality, as opposed to the inhumane conditions that the often mutated chickens and cows and pigs are forced to sustain in our current system.

As a member of Congress, I have cosponsored every piece of major animal protection legislation. In addition, I hold the distinction of being the only vegan in Congress. I made this lifestyle change many years ago, because I consider all life on our Earth to be sacred. As a vegan, I choose not to eat any animals or animal products. I strive to live my life in accordance with my convictions, and any other choice of diet would defy my ideals and, in my judgment, be hypocritical.

There are differing views on how to best achieve the end of the needless slaughtering of animals. Some say one can only hold AR values and must reject all aspects of AW while others say one can hold AR values while realizing that AW is necessary in some circumstances for now.

I think Kucinich is living in accordance with his principles.
#6 Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

I think Kucinich is living in accordance with his principles.

I think so too and I have tremendous respect for him.
#7 Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

He is a vegan. As far as I know, the only one in Congress.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#8 Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I love Dennis!
#9 Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

I don't know that he's that much of an AR supporter, though:

http://kucinich.us/index.php?option=...1665&Itemid=48

He is a vegan and even if this happens it's a great step.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#10 Old 09-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

yay Kucinich! He makes me so happy .
#11 Old 09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

in the present societal context, I think there can be no animal rights in congress. Only animal welfare regulations for animal exploitation.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#12 Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

in the present societal context, I think there can be no animal rights in congress. Only animal welfare regulations for animal exploitation.

AW is a stepping stone on the path to AR. Ease the general public slowly into seeing animals as something other than commodities. Jumping right into AR, and not accepting AW steps along the way, would just make the general public reject us all as a bunch of nutjobs. On the other hand, AW legislation actually stands a chance of getting passed, and of keeping animal issues in the news, which helps influence people's views and move society slowly in the right direction.

This is the same approach used by Peta, and while I reject their juvenile approach to marketing campaigns, I think they've got the right idea towards how to approach the issues. Unlike many here, I truly believe that global veganism is a realistic long term goal, and that many of the baby steps towards reaching that goal in a few hundred years involve AW campaigns today.

--Fromper

#13 Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

From what I've read, he endorses illegal immigration. The human population is the biggest animal rights issue in the world today, so it amazes me that a person can be for more immigration and for animal rights. He does have good view points which makes him worth voting for(rare in today's politics), but there is negative as well.
#14 Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

From what I've read, he endorses illegal immigration. The human population is the biggest animal rights issue in the world today, so it amazes me that a person can be for more immigration and for animal rights. He does have good view points which makes him worth voting for(rare in today's politics), but there is negative as well.

I'm confused. What does immigration have to do with animal rights? Those people are going to eat animals regardless of which side of the border they're on. The fact that people are breeding too much really isn't impacted by whether or not they can get into the United States.

--Fromper

#15 Old 09-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

He refers to them as "undocumented citizens," not "illegal immigrants." For this, I applaud him once again.

Quote:
The human population is the biggest animal rights issue in the world today, so it amazes me that a person can be for more immigration and for animal rights.

What does the world's human population have to do with immigration?
#16 Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

He refers to them as "undocumented citizens," not "illegal immigrants." For this, I applaud him once again.

What in the world is an "undocumented" citizen?
#17 Old 09-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

I'm about 99% sure, on a personal level, that he is a veg*n. I think his stance constitutes political reality that he would probably be unelectable if he called for a ban on meat. I'm guessing that he recognizes that he may be unable to prevent animal deaths but he can work to make their lives a little better.

banning meat or ending the use of animals are campaigns for activists, not politicians. The AR sympathetic politicians can only work at drawing the majority toward the position of the activists, not take on that position themselves.

The reason for this is that activists represent the extreme, and unless his constituency consists of an overwhelming number of AR sympathetic or vegan individuals then he will just lose his seat next time he is up for re-election.

So the only reasonable position anyone can take is to support a stepwise move towards abolition. They must support the deconstruction of intensive farming systems first, in order for politicians of the future to go further than that. If you want him (or anybody else) to be more radical you have to load their electorate with voters who are sympathetic to that particular cause or they won't be around long enough to affect even minor changes in policy.
#18 Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I'm confused. What does immigration have to do with animal rights? Those people are going to eat animals regardless of which side of the border they're on. The fact that people are breeding too much really isn't impacted by whether or not they can get into the United States.

--Fromper

from the welfarist perspective it is, since they may migrate from a region with little factory farming into the US, Europe or here where these are the primary forms of meat production.
#19 Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

--Fromper

The way I see it, as the human population gets bigger, the non-human world gets smaller. More people also means more meat is consumed. What we should be doing is working with other governments to try to decrease the human population peacefully, but illegal immigration is doing the exact opposite. A lot of people don't think it's related, but I feel otherwise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page