Camping, Cooking, Caring too much, Cats and Classic Rock - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

#61 Old 06-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Bandit

Lest you think me insane, I have two sides: free association right brain creative/sensory/emotional and strategic thinker. In strategic thinker mode I'm an unapologetic hard ass, as well as a brave negotiator.

The science building has a faulty door. Security is more concerned with skaters from the nearby high school destroying picnic tables than with women students leaning towards 30s. Arriving in mid to late afternoon, especially as a campus cat feeder, is less suspicious than prowling around at night. If questioned, I can flash a smile and my student ID and say I needed to use the restroom.

My plan is pretty much flawless, and in the big picture, harmless. If it makes even a small change, or at least annoys my professor strongly, my work had not been in vain!

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by Thalassa; 06-06-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 06-06-2017, 07:34 PM
Bandit

I also want to remind anyone reading this that you're going to fare better in a future in high latitudes than low. Plan to get as far away from the equator as possible. Also plan to get away from major cities unless you are extremely wealthy. Locations like San Francisco, Boston are expected to survive global warming (no Los Angeles isn't, which is why I am getting out while I still can), but don't expect to do well there in twenty or thirty years if you can't now...SF in particular is a hellhole for anyone below upper middle class, I was amazed to even see it on the "survives global warming this century" list.

Get to obscure small towns in extremely northern or extremely southern latitudes (if you are in Australia)...live in wet, rainy areas or glaciated regions like Montana or Alaska.

Learn to make as much of your own food as possible and how to purify water and how to survive outdoors. Explore your education through hands on, real life, temporary and even luxurious-seeming forms of education, because you may need it later.

Don't be naive. Don't think everything will be OK. Don't stay in Arizona.

There are idiots who will stay in Las Vegas because of 100 percent solar, ignoring the dwindling water levels of of Lake Mead.

At this point, I'm like "let them." Ok.

And everybody should wear sunscreen.

Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by Thalassa; 06-06-2017 at 07:37 PM.
#63 Old 07-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Bandit

Heidi ho everyone. I have been busy. Sort of.

I spent two weeks canvassing for an environmental nonprofit and that took up most of my days and was very tiring and interesting and rewarding but ultimately too much. I got tired of people yelling for me to get out of their yard in the hot SoCal summer sun for minimum wage though I did also encounter cool people.

Then I started doing freelance massage again and have been staying up all night reading crime novels which I had to stop because it was making me miserable to have my days and nights mixed up after a few days. I did enjoy being able to read for pleasure to my hearts content instead of reading for a class though.

This morning I awoke well rested after going to bed at a sane hour so Happy 4th! Eating those veggie dogs or maybe roasted corn?

I'm excited about moving North. Yesterday I bought my train ticket and reserved a room for a night since I'll arrive too late to move in the dorm until the next day. I also ordered fresh sage green bed sheets and a cute "Vegan Police" throw pillow to be delivered to my dorm so it will be there when I move in next month. I also need to order a new regular pillow for sleep and maybe a poster for the wall. I have blankets and towels already to just take with me. I also need to ship a box or two of my old books and miscellaneous items because train baggage is limited and then I'll be more concerned about clothes and toiletries and camping gear. I already have given away a bag of unwanted clothing and a few books and will still have to cull more possessions since I really can only afford to take the best or most important.

I'm both excited and nervous about the train. I have taken trains before but not from one end of Cali to the other which is an all day ride with two shuttle buses and one train and I just hope every one arrives reasonably on time. *crosses fingers*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 07-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Bandit

Been just kind of zoning out, reading novels, watching Twin Peaks, sleeping (sometimes staying up all night), and occasionally doing something productive for the past few weeks. I guess I needed time to recharge before my big move after last semester. I won't have this luxury once school starts again, plus moving is kind of a big deal so.

I do need to get more and more prepared for my move though. Like I mentioned last time, I have my train ticket and room booked, and my dorm will be ready the following day. I doubt I'll have many vegan options on my long train ride, so I am going to bring toasted avacado sandwiches with nutritional yeast, fruit, and other items I need to get my hands on. I usually am not prepared for more than 10-12 hours and this train ride with quick transfers lasts more like 18! So I am going to bring at least two sandwiches, plenty of snacks (like babganoush and Luna bars) and I'm sure they'll have a salad or something small if I do get in a pinch.

Also, I love to read novels but I honestly don't know how nauseas it will make me over time, so I have also planned to cross-stitch a Twin Peaks themed pattern "The Owls Are Not What They Seem" - complete with little owls and trees - and picked up a cheap circle-the-word mag at a dollar store.

I am about halfway through with organizing my things. I have managed to sort and cull most of my papers and books since I last posted here, and my winter clothes are packed. I still need to ship two boxes up north full of my things and pack items I'm currently using (and will continue to use for three more weeks).

I feel almost like I've been avoiding all of it, but I really do think I just needed to rest and Be, for lack of a better term. I've done a few things I said I would do this summer, but not to the extent which I imagined. Of course there's still time over the next few weeks, plus an opportunity to go on an evening row boat trip once I get to my new school before the semester starts.

Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page