VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Member Blogs (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/166-member-blogs/)
-   -   Sharing My Canoe Camping Adventure! (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/166-member-blogs/190473-sharing-my-canoe-camping-adventure.html)

Naturebound 09-20-2015 04:58 PM

Sharing My Canoe Camping Adventure!

I got back yesterday from a week long canoe camping adventure in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness of northern Minnesota and I thought I would share my photos and story with my fellow Veggieboard friends! I hope you enjoy!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/elainevv/ys5g8B

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p05h7keo8e...shoe.docx?dl=0

Purp 09-20-2015 05:18 PM

Great photos and gorgeous area. Thanks for sharing, @Naturebound .

silva 09-20-2015 07:24 PM

The pictures are absolutely breathtaking! I esp. loved all the varieties of mushrooms, and how you (or Greg?) framed the shots. What is it that you're holding that's hanging from your outstreched arm? I really love that one.

I'll save reading your journal for tomorrow. Look forward to that!

Seems like such a wonderful time-- I hope you enjoyed it as much as it looks!

Thanks for sharing

Capstan 09-20-2015 08:56 PM

Looks awesome, @Naturebound . I didn't know you had a dog!

Naturebound 09-21-2015 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 3782457)
The pictures are absolutely breathtaking! I esp. loved all the varieties of mushrooms, and how you (or Greg?) framed the shots. What is it that you're holding that's hanging from your outstreched arm? I really love that one.

I'll save reading your journal for tomorrow. Look forward to that!

Seems like such a wonderful time-- I hope you enjoyed it as much as it looks!

Thanks for sharing

Thanks silva! The object I am holding is a piece of birch bark. :)

Naturebound 09-21-2015 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capstan (Post 3782489)
Looks awesome, @Naturebound . I didn't know you had a dog!

Yup, that's our Sable. She is almost 11 years old now. She is really more of my husband's dog than mine and the two of them are inseparable, but I very much love Sable and she likes me too. She is extremely smart, loyal, mischievous, inquisitive, friendly, and cute. :) We acquired her from a local humane society when she was 10 weeks old. She had been left at their door in a box with her brother and sister. Sable also LOVES the canoe and it took very little training to get her to sit properly in it. In fact, if she is off center, I can say "Sable move over" and she will scoot over ever so slightly without actually standing up and moving, as if she understands.

mrgrimm 09-21-2015 04:44 AM

Awesome! We have wanted to take our canoe on something similar to what you did, but so far have only done some day paddles. Nice eagle sighting!

Naturebound 09-21-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgrimm (Post 3782689)
Awesome! We have wanted to take our canoe on something similar to what you did, but so far have only done some day paddles. Nice eagle sighting!

Thanks! What kind of canoe do you have if I may ask? Canoe camping is great in that you can really get away from civilization but it does take a lot of planning and preparation if you do it all yourself. There are outfitters that can help with planning, though I don't know of any that provide vegan food or even all vegetarian.

A funny story. We traded our smaller food barrel for a larger one so we could fit our food and Sable's in one pack for a six day trip. That food barrel weighed over 50 lbs fully loaded and was ridiculously heavy! While we were out there, six full grown big men paddled by in a group of canoes and they had one food barrel exactly like ours. We asked if that food barrel was for all six of them and they said yes, and they were staying out for six days like us! lol. We still had over 1/3 of our pack full of food when we left. I brought WAY too much food lol.

mrgrimm 09-22-2015 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naturebound (Post 3783665)
Thanks! What kind of canoe do you have if I may ask? Canoe camping is great in that you can really get away from civilization but it does take a lot of planning and preparation if you do it all yourself. There are outfitters that can help with planning, though I don't know of any that provide vegan food or even all vegetarian.

A funny story. We traded our smaller food barrel for a larger one so we could fit our food and Sable's in one pack for a six day trip. That food barrel weighed over 50 lbs fully loaded and was ridiculously heavy! While we were out there, six full grown big men paddled by in a group of canoes and they had one food barrel exactly like ours. We asked if that food barrel was for all six of them and they said yes, and they were staying out for six days like us! lol. We still had over 1/3 of our pack full of food when we left. I brought WAY too much food lol.

We have an Old Town 17'4, Discovery model I believe. It's an older model, and seems they only make the 16'9 these days. Got it for $300 bucks several years ago from Craigslist. All 4 of us pile in, and have even taken two dogs on top of that for a day trip across a large lake!

Haha, I hear ya on the over-preparing. It's easy to go light if just doing a day or two, but WOW six days! I guess though having the canoe allows for a little excess to easily be overlooked...Imagine if you had to carry all that stuff on your back, while hiking a trail, lol!

Maybe that's how you should pack next time...For example, if you couldn't carry it all on foot, then leave it behind! Not sure if the trip would be as comfortable though ;)