What do you do to keep a positive attitude? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

What sort of things do you do to keep a positive attitude even when you have negative people in your life?

There is someone in my life who is quite negative but I do have to talk to her on a regular basis. I can feel her negative attitude rubbing off onto me and I don't like it. So far I have been avoiding talking to her if I can, spending more time with positive-minded friends and telling myself that I can't let myself turn into her. Past that, I'm not sure what to do. I struggle with depression already, so it's not that easy to just ignore someone else's bad attitude. It is really, really getting to me. And I can't change her.

I want to feel happy and see the good in everything instead of the bad. I was thinking of making myself a collage of motivational words and pictures. I think that might help. Is there anything else that might help?

What do you do to try and keep your spirits up?

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I take Effexor-XR every morning.
#3 Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I throw hot onion soup on people's faces.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#4 Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

I take Effexor-XR every morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I throw hot onion soup on people's faces.

lol to both suggestions.

But on a serious note, I am in contact with a similar type person on a daily basis at work. It's not so much the negativity, but the constant drama...as if this person isn't happy unless something dramatic is going on in his/her life.

I don't think there is a magic solution. For me, it's going to work every day, telling myself I am not going to let this person drag me down with him/her. Sometimes it works...other times not. A lot of it depends on my situation at any given time. If I'm having 'issues' and I'm trying to keep positive by not dumping on my co-workers, it's a little more difficult to keep upbeat if this person is on a roll.

Anyway, I think anything you try is worth a shot. Your desire to want to avoid the negativity is half the battle.
#5 Old 07-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I find my day goes much better if I start it by spending a bit of time meditating, clearing my chakras and shielding myself (just imagining a white light around me). It's even better when I stretch a little too.

Then when I am faced with negativity, I have the strength to keep it from seeping into my own being. I can just compassionately understand that this person's negativity stems from their own pain and suffering and that it is not my stuff and I don't have to take any of it on.

The collage is a good idea. I try to have reminders like that around me. They can really help. Inspirational quotes can lift my spirits pretty quickly.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#6 Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I find my day goes much better if I start it by spending a bit of time meditating, clearing my chakras and shielding myself (just imagining a white light around me). It's even better when I stretch a little too.

Then when I am faced with negativity, I have the strength to keep it from seeping into my own being. I can just compassionately understand that this person's negativity stems from their own pain and suffering and that it is not my stuff and I don't have to take any of it on.

This is exactly what I would have said, nearly word for word.
#7 Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

The collage is a good idea. I try to have reminders like that around me. They can really help. Inspirational quotes can lift my spirits pretty quickly.

Agreed, you can not change people who choose negativity but you can choose how much tiem you spend with them.

My favorite saying is " your opinion of me is none of my business". People can think what they wish, and usually do. All i can do is be the best person I can be.

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#8 Old 07-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Ankle Biter

i vent on VB.

And I also exercise nearly every day. It clears my head. (And while I'm jogging I can replay my frustrations in my head, and then respond with the witty and sarcastic biting remarks I wish I had come up with at the moment! )

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

For me there a few things that keep me positive:

- be around optimistic people (it makes wonders... it's the best tip ever I can give you)

- thinking that everything good that I reached was/is mostly when I was/am positive: pessimism attracts bad things and optimism makes us pro-active to reach good things

- being a volunteer (currently I'm a volunteer in a retirement home, and I was also a volunteer in other places with children, poor people, etc. I go there every Fridays, I talk to people, I see their smiles for having someone who cares without anything material in return and I feel really well, happy and useful)

- exercise (my reasons are similiar to Poppy ones)
#10 Old 07-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Meditation Twice a Day...Yoga...and Laughing...I Used to be soooo serious all the time....not sooo much anymore...practically everything is funny
#11 Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

Meditation Twice a Day...Yoga...and Laughing...I Used to be soooo serious all the time....not sooo much anymore...practically everything is funny

Hahahah... Yeah, not taking life too seriously definitely helps.

My motto: If it's not fun, you're doing it wrong!

#12 Old 07-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

We're supposed to keep a positive attitude? (Actually, I've discovered that I often expect it of others! )
#13 Old 07-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Bike to the petting zoo and hang out with Sweetie the potbellied pig. Guaranteed to put a big smile on my face.
#14 Old 07-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I spend time w/my pets... if I just watch them they end up doing something silly that puts a smile on my face. Sometimes I put on music and I'll sing and dance to my cats (don't worry, they're the only ones that see me!) I often throw in my Simpsons DVDs & watch those. I have a conversation w/my dad or my bro & they always make me laugh.

I've been around people who seem to always see and express the negative (I used to be that way) & I just think to myself "Wow, I'm glad I'm not like that" & enjoy the positive things in life. The negative is always going to be there no matter what, I'd rather focus my energy on the positive.
#15 Old 07-11-2009, 06:28 PM
XvX

I don't.
#16 Old 07-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XvX View Post

I don't.

If you're ever feeling up to it, give it a try sometime. It can change your whole life

#17 Old 07-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the ideas! I have started writing in my journal again and it seems to help. I'll have to try some of these suggestions, too.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#18 Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Banned

i find that situations like that are best handled by refusing to give them energy/attention. happiness is often an internal proposition, with people about as happy as they've made their mind up to be.

so... the scowling, negative persona? has no effect on me or my success. otherwise i could never get anything done.
#19 Old 07-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Beginner

I think about all the bad shit and how it really doesn't matter.

Simple as that.
#20 Old 07-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't even bother trying.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#21 Old 07-13-2009, 10:10 AM

^^^

well i was feeling a bit chirpy until i came in here :P
#22 Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 AM

Meditation
#23 Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Gradually get negative people out of my life.
#24 Old 10-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Perhaps I'm the negative person, because, besides my mother, I've never had them in my life. I'm grateful for most anyone in my life who enjoys communicating with me. Eating spicy food and hot, muddy tea helps. Thinking about the ways people show they care about me. Working on projects. Remembering how much I've accomplished. Remembering that I know what I want, and that there are opportunities out there somewhere for it. I guess it all becomes thinking about me, me, me.
#25 Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

#1 I usually cut negative people out of my life to the fullest degree that I can - it doesn't matter whether they're friends, family, coworkers, whatever. I know it's impossible sometimes to get rid of them entirely (I am in a situation like yours where it is not an option) but a little cold shoulder goes a long way.

Also, every time your negative friend says something negative, just roll your eyes dramatically and say things like, "Gah, you're such a Debbie Downer!" or "Oooooookay, Negative Nancy!" or "Geez, drama queen much?" or even, "If you keep bringing your soul-suck to me, I'm going to have to start charging you for intensive therapy."

It's lighthearted and a little goofy, but it also draws attention to that person's negative behavior and brings their attention to it. They might not even realize they're being so obnoxious (or they might not care, in which case see #1).

As far as positivity goes, I enjoy yoga or other forms of a good stretch, losing myself in fiction, lots of exposure to the natural world, meditation, writing, and surrounding myself with people who are chipper and optimistic as an antidote.
#26 Old 10-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I make a cup of tea.
#27 Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Imagine you control a real-life "ignore button" or "mute button." When the person starts bothering you, sing a silly, simple song in your head or focus intensely on something else (I will type this document, I will type this document) so you in effect block them out entirely.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#28 Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 AM

I meditate, or I sleep.
#29 Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=Starblossom]Thanks for the ideas! I have started writing in my journal again and it seems to help.

I Journal too....I have Journal-ed since I was in the 6th grade....I love to write short stories, poems, ect....put down on paper whatever I am feeling at the moment....Just Talking about Wrighting Makes Me
#30 Old 10-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I go for long walks to get over the blues, which I get a lot of in autumn and winter.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page