I'm curious: How do you deal with whiners? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been thinking about this lately. What is your personal approach to a whiner (whiny person?). I don't mean the normal venting that people do sometimes to stay sane. I mean repetitive, neverending whining about the same issue(s) or even minor issues...sometimes issues they brought upon themselves.

Do you avoid talking to them? Do you act sympathetic each and every time they complain? Do you behave in a neutral manner? Or do you flatout tell them to stop being a whiner?

Do you think tough love is a good thing because sometimes you just need to be blunt, or is that too mean?

Opinions?

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Depends on the person how if I would just ignore them or say something, but I wouldn't act sympathic each and every time if they were whining about nothing/pety stuff/stuff they brought on their selves.
#3 Old 06-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it depends on the person.
#4 Old 06-03-2009, 08:29 PM

and it depends on the situation a bit too.
#5 Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

i've been known to tell them that i think its great that they've worked out the problem so clearly, and feel able to verbalise it so well, and ask them to now focus on finding and implementing the solution. then i depart swiftly.
#6 Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Be sympathetic once or twice. After that...change the subject nonchalantly. Should work most of the time.
#7 Old 06-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Alternately, earplugs, hugs, words of encouragement, letting them whine, or perfecting that "Really, I'm hanging on your every word" stare while thinking about something else entirely.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#8 Old 06-04-2009, 12:52 AM
DNK
Veggie Regular

Grunt and basically don't respond at all, or mumble what I think is the underlying cause of their whining that they most likely don't want to hear and would get very pissed off if they heard it, and hope that it subconsciously reaches them.

Or just tell them to stop whining if it gets on my nerves enough.

This doesn't work so well on myself Someone needs to subconsciously suggest things to me, too! (I'm not sure it works at all, but it's more rewarding than nodding)
#9 Old 06-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I slap them.

not really.
#10 Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I put more food in the whiners' bowls.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#11 Old 06-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd say I'm somewhat that way regarding one or two subjects. It doesn't bother me too much as long as it's a subject I want to hear about.
#12 Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I can be whiney sometimes and one of my friends would say "yeah we've had this conversation already.'' It sure worked on me, so I'm going to try it out next time someone annoys me.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#13 Old 06-05-2009, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I shake them around, throw them across the room and hiss at them.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#14 Old 06-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Whining can be many things. Are they just whining about general things we all have to put up with at times, such as work issues that are not such a big deal.

Or are they "whining" about serious issues where they may need help or counseling. Kind of a cry for help.
#15 Old 06-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I have been thinking about this lately. What is your personal approach to a whiner (whiny person?). I don't mean the normal venting that people do sometimes to stay sane. I mean repetitive, neverending whining about the same issue(s) or even minor issues...sometimes issues they brought upon themselves.

Do you avoid talking to them? Do you act sympathetic each and every time they complain? Do you behave in a neutral manner? Or do you flatout tell them to stop being a whiner?

Do you think tough love is a good thing because sometimes you just need to be blunt, or is that too mean?

Opinions?

I go by William S. Burrough's "Words of Advice For Young People"

Do not offer sympathy to the mentally ill.

Tell them firmly:

I am not paid to listen to this drivel.

You are a terminal boob.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#16 Old 06-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Banned

i give them drugs, if that's what they're whining for, and i've got a doctor's order .
#17 Old 06-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I shake them around, throw them across the room and hiss at them.

dude, that's way cool! you're my hero .
#18 Old 06-06-2009, 11:40 PM

I try to be there for them...I have a nasal whine when I speak so It always sounds like I am whining...lol...I get what you are saying and it may get tiring but I usually just listen...if I am really fed up I say enough already and change the subject and thats that...I am a whiner and like that people are there for me so I am there for them with a hugg and a shoulder to lean on if needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page