Questions about documents Australian needs to enter the United States - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello,

I am originally from USA but I have lived in Australia for nearly four years. I have not been back to USA, but I plan on going to visit in November.

As I have an American passport I will be fine entering USA, however, my fiance is Australian and will be coming with me. I'm just wondering, other than his passport what will he need to enter USA for a short holiday? Are there any visas? Will he need any shots prior?

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Try this website. It seems to have info for an Australian traveling to the US.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/us/index.html

Also look at:

http://www.dfat.gov.au/media/release...t/d001_09.html

ETA: This is a US gov't website with info for foreign travelers to the US. It talks about Visa info and what you'll need to do.http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html

Also, it has a place for info to find out if you can travel without a visa. (visa waiver program)

When I say "you", I mean your fiance since you're all Americany and stuff

Good luck!
#3 Old 05-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't help you with your questions, but I don't know why you put this thread in the Holiday Forums, since your post doesn't mention anything specific about celebrating the holidays; therefore, I'm moving it to the Veggie Patch.

Also, the thread title is a little vague, so I'm editing it to clarify what you're asking.

*this space not for sale*
#4 Old 05-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't you need to fill in the ETSA form thing? Similar to the australian version but free (currently). Also if you partner has a criminal record of any description they will almost certainly need a visa (which can take a while to get).
#5 Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, those sites I posted have the ETSA stuff on it.
#6 Old 05-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

but I don't know why you put this thread in the Holiday Forums, since your post doesn't mention anything specific about celebrating the holidays;

"Holiday" in British English (and in Australian English I guess) is the same as "vacation" in American English. Maybe it needs to be clarified in the forum subtitle that we mean religious holidays.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#7 Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Lirpa, something important that you should know - NEVER take advice about visas or anything to do with travel from people on the internet because it's very easy to make a mistake and potentially land yourself in trouble. You need to go to the US embassy site in the ACT for the information you can rely on as being absolutely correct.

m8itcanw8.com
#8 Old 05-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

Lirpa, something important that you should know - NEVER take advice about visas or anything to do with travel from people on the internet because it's very easy to make a mistake and potentially land yourself in trouble. You need to go to the US embassy site in the ACT for the information you can rely on as being absolutely correct.

NEVER take advice from people on the internet? Not even from relatively intelligent veg*ans?

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 05-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Not even from relatively intelligent veg*ans?

Do you only think of yourself as relatively intelligent?

m8itcanw8.com
#10 Old 05-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

it'd be a right pain if you showed up at US customs and immigration without the proper paperwork, cos they'd quite possibly refuse your bf entry, and you saying "but they said on veggieboards.com that it'd be ok!!!!1" just wouldn't fly with the customs dudes and dudesses.
#11 Old 05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I recommend you either go to a travel agent (and even then they don't always get it right) or the embassy's website.

My friend went to the US and managed to get the visa waived for some reason, something to do with how much time she was spending there. But that was a couple of years ago and I'm 90% certain australians need a visa to visit the US.
#12 Old 05-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Dont worry Pixelle! I will research what everyone says and find out for sure as well, lol. People telling me things just gives me a start!

I have heard about the visa waiver program and Australia is in that, and since we will have a return ticket he may fall into that category. but then again on the news a few months ago, it said the waiver program had been stopped or something (not sure if that is for all countries, or just certain ones...)

but yea, ill find the embassy and call them up to verify everything is in order. We're getting his passport either next week or week after yay, one thing down ha ha. and then buying tickets in July...

Ugh ha ha I have myself sorted on my visa to enter/leave australia... but I have no idea about USA's rules and laws with immigration. But we gotta start learning somewhere :-D
#13 Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

and I'm not using travel agents... ha ha I can save two grand just doing it all myself, so I will do it myself and save $$.

and this was in the holiday forum because we are going for a holiday in america... I must have been confused and didn't think holiday meant ublic/religious/ holiday "days" in the year sorry.
#14 Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

There's also www.immigrationforum.org. I know Fyvel has gotten some excellent advice there and recommends the forum.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#15 Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah doing it by yourself is definitely cheaper. I learned that the hard way hahaha.

Side-rant: One thing that annoys me about people who do everything through travel agents is that they often don't do any of their own research. I know someone who went to Vietnam without a visa cos her agent didn't tell her she needed one, and then was holed up in a hotel for a day whilst they processed one for her.
#16 Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

Yeah doing it by yourself is definitely cheaper. I learned that the hard way hahaha.

Side-rant: One thing that annoys me about people who do everything through travel agents is that they often don't do any of their own research. I know someone who went to Vietnam without a visa cos her agent didn't tell her she needed one, and then was holed up in a hotel for a day whilst they processed one for her.

Travel agents have a place. For flights for example, you can look online which i would recommend doing but you defiantly don't always get the cheapest flights online! If you goto a good travel agent they can often beat online prices. Avoid them for insurance, hotel transfers and visas but if you know exactly what you want they're useful to compare prices fully.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page