College sports and alma maters - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Banned

Anyone stay true to their roots here??? Did anyone go to a big-name sports school? I went to U of Maryland from '94-'97 and appeared red-painted and drunk behind a few big ACC hoops match-ups. My former basketball coach called my dad up during the UM/UNC game one year (Joe Smith vs. Jerry Stackhouse) and I got an earful for allegedly yelling "CRAAACK-HOUUSE" into the camera.

Ahhhh college
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Fighting Illini fan myself...

Wow, not a KU fan, but how about the a$$ whipping they are placing on OK Sooners!!!
#3 Old 12-06-2003, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Kid View Post

Fighting Illini fan myself...

No disrespect, but couldn't they have waited to unpack the imagination when they showed up in Urbana? "FIGHTING ILLINI?!??!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Kid View Post

Wow, not a KU fan, but how about the a$$ whipping they are placing on OK Sooners!!!

How about the a$$ whipping the BCS is going to get when they still have the Sooners up top? If it was a close win, sure, but you're right - a whipping, indeed.

I'm kinda happy - three one-loss teams. There!!! Eat it, BCS computer!!! Stupid piece of...
#4 Old 12-07-2003, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

All three teams are deserving now, a buddy of mine is from New Orleans and he is a huge, huge LSU fan. I swear the poor guy has been under stress for weeks. I can't wait to see what happens. Announcement is early evening tomorrow night!!

Other than that, this KID is out with the flu....I guess a good weekend to be restricted to the couch....
#5 Old 12-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Okalahoma State University

GO POKES!!!

(actually, y'all know I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about football, but I did go to one game while I was there (had free tix) and I enjoyed it tremendously...)

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 12-07-2003, 10:26 AM

Yeah, UNC guy here. Both my parents went there, and Mom even played women's basketball. When she was pregnant with me she was hopping up and down in front of the old b&w set hollering for Frank McGuire so I reckon it's somehow ingrained in my DNA. She could always beat the crap out of us kids when we were little. The neighborhood rugrats would come over to our house because we had the best "court" and a team of 5 would all play against her and take a helluva thrashing. A couple of years ago we had a birthday party at my sister's house and they had just gotten a new goal put in their driveway. Mom could barely walk and is all humped over with osteoperosis, but she got out of her Cadillac and a ball came rolling up to her. She stopped it with her foot, picked it up, glanced at the goal (at LEAST an NBA three shot) and hurled a one handed baseball shot at it, nothing but net

Tarheels are coming BACK, guys and gals. ACC hoop season is almost here . . .
#7 Old 12-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

UCLA, fight-fight-fight! Okay, so we're having a bad football year. I can live vicariously through my Trojan wife, though.
#8 Old 12-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Talk about bad football years... how about Notre Dame? Yeah, we pretty much got crushed by Syracuse, that was cool... But I'm pretty sure I'll be cheering for the Irish for the rest of my life whether I like it or not.
#9 Old 12-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDvegan85 View Post

Talk about bad football years... how about Notre Dame? Yeah, we pretty much got crushed by Syracuse, that was cool... But I'm pretty sure I'll be cheering for the Irish for the rest of my life whether I like it or not.

You think ND will join the Big East? Or any other conference? I can't imagine they'll continue getting the TV money if they remain independent and sucky.
#10 Old 12-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know, but I heard that the Big Ten 10 was also interested when all that talk was going on, and I would like to see that because I'm from Ohio and I'm still a Buckeye fan, so that would be pretty cool. But as long as we have that deal with NBC, I'm pretty sure we're not going anywhere. Hopefully next year will be better; having a freshman QB starting was rough. But yeah I can't imagine that NBC is going to keep paying us to lose.
#11 Old 12-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

'97 and '00 O.S.U. Grad. The ONLY O.S.U. that matters. I love Buckeyes football and basketball and still attend games from time to time (I still live close enough to the horseshoe that I can hear the fans cheering).

I'm pleased with our Fiesta Bowl bid although our basketball team looks horrible this year.
#12 Old 12-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

(I still live close enough to the horseshoe that I can hear the fans cheering).

*I* still live close-enough to the horseshoe to hear OSU games, and I live in delaware! I think OSU basketball will be okay - I think there's not going to be many 2-3 loss teams this year. Lots of parity...
#13 Old 12-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never gone there but GO UND!!! UND hockey rules!!
#14 Old 12-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Boy, USC certainly got the shaft, didn't they?
#15 Old 12-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

No kidding... what were they in both coaches polls, number one, hmmmm... yeah that BCS system works like a charm...
#16 Old 12-10-2003, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Nebraska Cornhusker (attended first two years of college in Lincoln) and Missouri Tiger (actually got a degree from Missouri) here. Actually couldn't care less about football except that I really enjoy it when the Tigers lose. Thanks to my bf (die-hard Husker fan), I now know what the option is and can, on occasion, recognize it during a game. It only took about 6 demos with the salt and pepper shakers at the bar for me to understand it...
#17 Old 12-10-2003, 03:36 PM

WVU gal here ... graduated in 1995.

GO 'EERS!

WVU vs. U of M in the gator bowl on jan. 1.
#18 Old 12-10-2003, 06:59 PM

Hey Max Power, I went to Maryland 95-99 and REALLY love the basketball team.

Now, however, I am forced to focus on the Tigers at the sugar bowl. Sorry USC, but what can ya do?
#19 Old 12-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Maryland has a terrific basketball program, but what the heck is up with the FANS? The amount of rioting that has gone in College Park after big games (win or lose) in the past few years is insane. It happened again last night after the big victory over Florida. It wasn't on the scale of some of the past uprisings, but police still had to be called in.
#20 Old 12-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Went to Souther Oregon University (Where?) '96-'00. The football team sucked. Did my grad work at San Jose State and they're not much better. I do follow Nebraska, since my mother is from there (GO Big Red!, well ok not the last year or two but still). Hey KC my godfather is a prof. at ULUC. I have UI t-shirt I wear all the time he sent me. It's kinda wearing out wanna send me another ?
#21 Old 12-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Banned

Yeah U. of Maryland!!!!! Terps upset #1-ranked Florida in Florida!!!! WOO!!!
#22 Old 12-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Pacman View Post

Hey Max Power, I went to Maryland 95-99 and REALLY love the basketball team.

Hey I went there 94-97! Rock!!! I spent most of the time occupying various administration buildings and camping in Cole Field House.
#23 Old 12-12-2003, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

Yeah U. of Maryland!!!!! Terps upset #1-ranked Florida in Florida!!!! WOO!!!

Max, that really was an exciting game! I happened to notice it was on while channel surfing and watched the second half and OT. Congrats to Gary Williams, one of my favorite current roundball coaches! The man is an absolute winner . . .

Heck I even liked Lefty, one of the few down here . . .
#24 Old 12-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStarJedi View Post

I do follow Nebraska, since my mother is from there (GO Big Red!, well ok not the last year or two but still).

Woo! Go 'Skers!!
#25 Old 12-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Wake Forest University Demon Deacon here...

I haven't posted in quite a while, but Bankruptor, wasn't that a great game a week ago? ESPN called it the game of the year, and it might stay that way. The ACC is gonna be awesome this year. I'm just glad we won!

Go Deacs! The only good thing about the sky being Carolina blue is that we don't have to step in it!
#26 Old 01-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I attended Bowling Green State University for my masters and they have quite a football franchise going. In fact I was told that they won the Motor City Bowl Game in Detroit. Not one of the big ones, but it is a start. Northwest Ohio was a huge football area with the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry being the stuff of legends so I got kind of sucked into it. Plus I am glad that BG is starting to put themselves on the map.
#27 Old 01-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftykraft View Post

Plus I am glad that BG is starting to put themselves on the map.

Bowling Green has a had a solid program in the MAC conference for some time. Their current QB, Josh Harris, is really athletic and has a nice arm.

The bowl win was nice, but unfortunately, Northwestern wasn't much competition and actually finished with a losing record (6-6 going in, 6-7 coming out).

Bowling Green should be in good shape to make a stab at the conference title next season.
#28 Old 01-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Glad I lived vicariously through my Trojan wife this year...
#29 Old 01-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Banned

Dude, when you use "Trojan" and "wife" in the same sentence, you are just asking for problems.
#30 Old 01-26-2004, 12:32 AM

Just found this thread and had to declare my love for my school: UW-Madison. Graduated in 2000. On Wisconsin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page