First Day of School - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

So, I haven't been in school in quite sometime, and I start up a six week deal this morning in about an hour. Today I'm gonna go easy and take PB&J and some granola. I'm interested in finding some dishes that people think are better at room temperature rather than hot or cold. I almost always prefer my food hot, so working out a lunch I will enjoy will be kinda difficult.

I generally don't eat premade sandwiches wince they get all soggy and gross, so I hope the PBJ makes it today.

Anyone got recipes that you couldn't do without in your lunch box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Banned

I like homemade hommus in a tupperware kind of box thing. I'll bring a roll and some celery sticks and just dunk them into the hommous. Very easy.

Also consider putting some veg, beans, dry veg stock and broken pasta into a wide mouth thermos and topping up with boiling water in the morning before leaving for school. By lunchtime the pasta is cooked and you have hot veg noodle soup ready to eat. Lots of variations on this.
#3 Old 04-13-2009, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

That's weird, I've never been anywhere that didn't have a microwave available.

Sogginess drives me nuts too. I actually take pb&j a lot. I put peanut butter on both slices of bread to keep the jelly from making things soggy. You can make up a bunch at one time and keep them in baggies in the freezer. They thaw out fine. If you are using deli slices or something, then putting margarine on both slices or making a wrap helps too. If there's a fridge available salads are always good

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#4 Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

That's weird, I've never been anywhere that didn't have a microwave available.

What's the contraption you speak of, I don't know this thing. HA - I refuse to use microwaves!

peanut butter on both sides sounds like my best bet. I think I may try and test out a soup tomorrow. Today's the first day and I got a few more weeks, so hopefully I can get my groove this week and then the rest will be a breeze.
#5 Old 04-14-2009, 05:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Chickpea salad! It's good on bread, crackers or by itself.
#6 Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I like homemade hommus in a tupperware kind of box thing. I'll bring a roll and some celery sticks and just dunk them into the hommous. Very easy.

Also consider putting some veg, beans, dry veg stock and broken pasta into a wide mouth thermos and topping up with boiling water in the morning before leaving for school. By lunchtime the pasta is cooked and you have hot veg noodle soup ready to eat. Lots of variations on this.

ohh, awesome ideas! gotta remember that for when I wake up late
#7 Old 04-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

The sandwich worked great yesterday, but I realized they actually give us an hour instead of the thirty minutes I thought, so that gives me PLENTY of time to go let Leto go to the bathroom and put something together really quickly. I'm still gonna have to try the soup idea though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page