Eggplant Alfredo sauce - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't get too excited, I don't have a recipe for this

I was just wondering if anyone has ever successfully made an alfredo sauce using an eggplant puree for the creamy part. I looked around online and found this: http://jennshaggy.blogspot.com/2008/...edo-sauce.html

but I've never seen a white eggplant before!

Seems to me like it would make a nice sauce because I consider eggplant very bland. I've never had a bitter one before. Maybe I've just been lucky though!

I've got one to cook tonight for my boyfriend and I but he won't touch it. I'm slicing up a few slices for me to bake and I plan on hiding the rest in the pasta sauce. Alfredo would be nice but I can always hide it in marinara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I've got one to cook tonight for my boyfriend and I but he won't touch it. I'm slicing up a few slices for me to bake and I plan on hiding the rest in the pasta sauce. Alfredo would be nice but I can always hide it in marinara

As a picky eater, I find it offensive that you would hide icky stuff (which I don't consider eggplant to be) in food to fool your boyfriend.

#3 Old 03-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

It's a trick I found looking at childrens' cookbooks. You can blend veggies up and hide them in sauces. Trust me, if you had a relative living off of grilled cheese, pizza, and doughnuts you'd get a little desperate too!
#4 Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#5 Old 03-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I ate the rest of that eggplant today, baked both times but yeah. I almost always tell him its in the food before hand and he dutifully gives it a try. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. If he likes it, he eats it. We won't not eat something just because there's a particular ingredient in it, especially if he liked it.

It's the plain vegetables that are hard to get into him. Mostly hiding taste and texture, not necessarily the food
#6 Old 03-21-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

As long as he's not allergic and he likes the food that contains it, who cares? She made him eat something heathly.

Well, I was trying to be humorous, but seriously I would care.

My ex-wife would frequently hide squash in various things she made, and would even lie to me about it if I asked. I'm a grown man, I have the right to decide what the hell I want to/will eat.
#7 Old 03-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#8 Old 03-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not a lie if you simply omit the information. I will sometimes "trick" people into trying tofu or something, by asking if they want it then giving it to them without mentioning the tofu. If they ask what is in it though I will tell them.

Back to the OP's question, no I have not ever made eggplant alfredo sauce. You should just try it with the purple eggplant and see how it turns out, or that is what i would do anyway. according to this website, it seems the white eggplant has a more creamy flesh than the regular american purple eggplant.

Now I'm curious to try this recipe!

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#9 Old 03-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

Don't get too excited, I don't have a recipe for this

Too late!
#10 Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Either he'll chuckle and say "I never thought it could taste that good", or he'll break up with her for her evil deception. Only time will tell.

I love eggplant. Just slice thin, sautee in olive oil with salt, pepper, and garlic til it caramelizes and it's super tasty.
#11 Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I would feel violated, too, if someone lied to me about an ingredient that was slipped into my meal. I guess that omnis would feel the same way about their food being tainted with veggies as we would our food being tainted with meat.

BUT, I don't know anyone that doesn't eat veggies for ethical/health reasons so that's good.

I already ate my eggplant! So no sauce this time. I would have tried that recipe with a purple eggplant but I'm no good at cooking so I don't like to experiment too much because 99% of my experiments get trashed they're so terrible/unappetizing. Lame, but I'll get better one day.

Maybe if I get an eggplant on the cheap, or if somebody on here is so eager they try it first *fingers crossed* haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page