is it just the american culture or is this everywhere - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-25-2009, 02:43 PM

I noticed something i dont like and i dont notice if its just the american culture where i am from or if its every country. Have you noticed this?

People are like zombies. Nobody does anything spontaneous it is like go to work... eat... watch tv ... go to bed. I mean whenever you cant just go hang out with someone or stop by somebodys door and say hey lets go out for coffee or lets go to the beach. They are like"welll let me look at my calendar .. monday at 9 pm sounds good."

I even noticed this. I go to cycling class at the ymca and everyone sits on the same bike every day. In my classes everyone sits in the same seat. At the dinner table everyone has their own chair mom even yelled at me once for sitting in "her" chair.

I dont understand why people cant just do things because they want to do it. why is it like this? Does anyone understand what im trying to say? I feel like people around here are dead or zombie like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

No, I think it is the way of living in many countries "today".

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Banned

you mean spontaneity?

some peple do better with the spontanious than others. some people just like structure and routine, some need it, some have responsibilities, with some its a bit of both and a whole bunch of other stuff.
#4 Old 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep. Sometimes I just want to break free from the tedium, the habits, the robotic activities that many people seem to engage in.

From time to time, I've had this image in my mind where I picture myself out in the middle of nowhere, with a heavy downpour of rain, looking up to the sky, with my arms raised, pleading with "the heavens" to rescue me from this mindless world, and maybe even from myself.
#5 Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I live a spontaneous life, purposefully. I see the sheep everywhere and I laugh, because it doesn't have to be that way.

I have ensured that my life is full of spontaneity. I have found work outside of the traditional 9-5 so I can stay away from the crowds and hang with all the other fun peeps who work random hours, who appreciate doing things spur of the moment.

I, of course, plan some things out too, but I have a group for friends who will often be up for a spontaneous night out, or day trip to the mountains. I can drop by my friends houses and they can drop by mine.

We've discovered life is more fun living slightly on the fringes. I prefer to even run my errands on off peak hours- you won't catch me at a mall on a Saturday if I can help it. I randomly went out for groceries at 10 pm last night, after spending an evening hot tubbing at my friends. None of it was planned and I like it that way.

We do plan fun things out too, cause looking forward to things is half the fun. I love getting excited about up coming events, trips and so forth, but not at the detriment of all spontaneity!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#6 Old 02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Administrator

I always thought of it as "growing up." Responsibility and all.

Or maybe I'm just trying to justify my boring-ness.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I always thought of it as "growing up." Responsibility and all.

A little, I think

I have had a few people ask me when I'll get a real job, meaning, one with regular 9-5 hours so I get to battle traffic with the masses and shop with them and be part of the herd.

I wonder what part of my $50,000 a year job, with a butt load of responsibility, (I'm in charge of up to 500 people daily) that I've had for 8 year isn't grown up?

There's nothing wrong with a routine, if it suits you, but if it makes you unhappy, as it makes me, I don't think you have to put yourself through it just to be a "grown up".

#8 Old 02-25-2009, 04:51 PM

i agree with you synergy. i mean it sometimes seems people are so robotic and dead. I think even going to my workout everyone takes the same spot. its weird. but im glad you know what i mean the point is lets try to do something random for once and fun.
#9 Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Michael. Adults have schedules and responsibilities.

On a side note...I personally don't answer my door to unannounced visitors. Partly for safety. Partly because I consider it rude not to let me know ahead of time. Especially in this day and age when they could have called on the go, texted, emailed, instant messaged, etc.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#10 Old 02-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

8-10 hour jobs, children, owning a house, etc. make having a set routine very necessary.
#11 Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

you mean spontaneity?

some peple do better with the spontanious than others. some people just like structure and routine, some need it, some have responsibilities, with some its a bit of both and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I totally get what the OP is saying though too!
#12 Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

#13 Old 02-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

People that have 8 hour jobs @ 40hrs/week only really have 2 hours a day (except on days off) that you can't logically know what they're doing.

There's 24 hours in a day. Up to 8 at work/school, and 8 for sleep -- only 8 hours left for "whatever" take out up to 1 hour to and from work, 1 hour doing stuff for bed/work, 2 hours for dinner (eating, cleaning, cooking, etc)... leaves 4 hours... if they only have 2 shows they watch on tv a night -- you're down to 2.

I know way too many people that follow that (we're talking almost everyone I know that doesn't have 2 jobs). I wrote a computer program to calculate a person's day based on a few things: how much they work a week and when they sleep. It would display what you were doing at what hour, when they left for work/etc.... I had some people ask how the *cuss word* I knew what they were doing every day.

So I think people get so tied into the same old thing every day (as, well, there's not much time left over really unless you don't watch TV). Then they keep on doing the same thing and get upset if something varies from it. If you think about it -- it's encouraged in school (or was at least) -- students are assigned seats, and that's their seat until the sun burns out or they advance. Next year, same thing. Then what happens when they can pick their own seat? Yep, they pick a seat - but stay in it pretty much the entire year.
#14 Old 02-25-2009, 06:08 PM

yep it seems like this

park their car in the same parking spot at work, movie night every saturday, order the same meal everytime you go out to eat wont try anything different on the menu, order the same brand of shoes each time the old pair gets worn out, go for the same daily run at the same time every day just to get those miles in.

Would you go to the park and just get your 4 miles run in or would you really walk and stop and smell the roses, look at the clouds, fly a kite, or listen to the birds? i doubt nobody has time for that anymore

i wanna show u a story i found :

Aman sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried up to meet his schedule. A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk. A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32.17. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the best musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston and the seats average $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of an social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing some of the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

This is a true story. Check it out at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...r=emailarticle
#15 Old 02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmifish View Post

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing some of the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

This is a true story. Check it out at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...r=emailarticle

Haha, good story! I know what you mean I think. Its not so much about growing up and becoming responsible, its about becoming blinded to 90% of what is around you every day, and never deviating from your chosen ruts. I think Synergy knows what you mean too, about living on the fringe.

I am so grateful to not only be aware of this, but to be able to live my life outside of it. I've got responsibilities too, but all of the very best things that have ever happened to me happened when I veered off the "path". it drives some of the people I know nuts though. I think they like their blinders. I think that's very sad.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#16 Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

Hehe.. when my kid was three we couldn't stand still for a minute. He was always wanting to go go go.
#17 Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't want to grocery-shop at 10 p.m. All my favorite discount places are closed then! I'd pay a premium to shop after "normal business hours."

On Monday evening I was really wishing I had some friends in the area who wouldn't mind if I just showed up, board games in hand, at their homes. One of the few places I can just drop in (with only half expectation people would change what they were doing for me) is my family's house, and they live an hour away.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#18 Old 02-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I loooove getting groceries at 4:00 am. It's so nice to have the whole store to myself.

Too bad I don't usually wake up that early.. just when I'm jet lagged.
#19 Old 02-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

On a side note...I personally don't answer my door to unannounced visitors. Partly for safety. Partly because I consider it rude not to let me know ahead of time. Especially in this day and age when they could have called on the go, texted, emailed, instant messaged, etc.

so if some of your friends showed up randomly you'd not answer the door to teach them some kind of lesson about courtesy? eh, i hope you don't miss any nice suprises or that they don't decide you're being a bit prissy and just not bother coming back next time rather than call you.
#20 Old 02-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

so if some of your friends showed up randomly you'd not answer the door to teach them some kind of lesson about courtesy? eh, i hope you don't miss any nice suprises or that they don't decide you're being a bit prissy and just not bother coming back next time rather than call you.

Heh, I'm with you, Jen! I always at least look to see who it is. If it's my ex, I don't answer the door, but if it's anyone else (save a masked gun-toting assassin) I do answer. If I'm busy or otherwise can't talk long, I may not invite the person in, but if it's someone I really do want to see I make sure they know they're welcome.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#21 Old 02-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty sure the OP knows adults have responsibilities and schedules to keep. I think the point is that life, for some of us, seems so mechanical when one sees people doing the same things day in, day out. Passions cool, shallow conversations tend to be the norm, being practical becomes paramount. This doesn't mean I blame people for this (for I'm often the same way), it's more a complaint against the nature of our reality.
#22 Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ Agreed. I don't think Swimmifish (or myself) meant to say that routines/responsibilities were wrong, but just that life is a far more joyous thing when it includes some spontaneous things. Or at least it is in my opinion. It's easier to avoid mindless autopilot when you switch things up.

This kind of reminds me of the movie 'Stranger Than Fiction' with Will Ferrall.

#23 Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Heh, I'm with you, Jen! I always at least look to see who it is. If it's my ex, I don't answer the door, but if it's anyone else (save a masked gun-toting assassin) I do answer. If I'm busy or otherwise can't talk long, I may not invite the person in, but if it's someone I really do want to see I make sure they know they're welcome.

seriously. you gotta take a sneaky peek. they might have cookies or a male stripper or be coming to give me free money or something!
#24 Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I noticed something i dont like and i dont notice if its just the american culture where i am from or if its every country. Have you noticed this?

People are like zombies.

It's definitely like that where I'm from. Last year, the profession of a grave-digger became pretty useless since people never remain in their graves for long. Graveyards next to churches have been replaced with Christian-themed amusement parks, but people don't really want to go in them, because they're filled with zombies. Sidewalks have been re-designed to have a special lane for the slow-walking living dead. It's really starting to become an overpopulation issue here. Heck, just looking out the window, I can see some people walking aimlessly, arms forward, with that empty gaze and a hunger for human flesh.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#25 Old 02-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

If being an adult consists of revolving one's life stressful schedules and mundane "responsibilities," then I'd rather not grow up. :]

I realize that some simply enjoy routine and structure, but I could never resign myself to filling all of my time with insipid, uninspiring busywork.
#26 Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

It's definitely like that where I'm from. Last year, the profession of a grave-digger became pretty useless since people never remain in their graves for long. Graveyards next to churches have been replaced with Christian-themed amusement parks, but people don't really want to go in them, because they're filled with zombies. Sidewalks have been re-designed to have a special lane for the slow-walking living dead. It's really starting to become an overpopulation issue here. Heck, just looking out the window, I can see some people walking aimlessly, arms forward, with that empty gaze and a hunger for human flesh.

you didn't see where she wrote like, then?
#27 Old 02-25-2009, 07:52 PM

lol you guys
#28 Old 02-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and one thing we've found really useful to fight this problem is equipping most living people with rollators. Being a victim is a choice, the choice of not buying GrandmaVehicle TX-8900.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#29 Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

To the OP: I imagine more people appreciate beauty, spontaneity, and fun than you give them credit for. Just because someone keeps a schedule, has a daily routine, or has a 9-5 desk job does not make them a "sheep" or a "zombie" or a "machine"
#30 Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Shoot, if some of my friends just suddenly showed up, I'd offer them dinner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page