busiest shoping day of the year. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-27-2003, 03:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Any of you american folk planning on going to any of the After Thanksgiving Day sales?

I know I will. I don't mind standing in line for an hour to get into a store, and then standing in line for 2 hours to get out of the store so long as I get a good deal. I want a new camera, among other things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Banned

No way! There will be way too many people for my liking. Most of them will be cranky, too.
#3 Old 11-27-2003, 08:30 AM

No. I hate shopping as it is. With as crazy as it will be tomorrow, I think I'd blow up. Plus, I've got to work until three pm.
#4 Old 11-27-2003, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

No way in hell am I getting up at 4 a.m. to go fight the crazy mob just so I can get a crappy Shopko sweater for half price.

I have to work tomorrow, but lots of the women in my office are planning on going shopping before coming to work. Bleh. I dislike shopping enough as it is.

As a side note, I heard on the radio yesterday that the busiest shopping day of the year is actually the Saturday before Christmas, not the day after Thanksgiving.
#5 Old 11-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if the day after American Thanksgiving is a superbusy shopping day in Barcelona, too... nah, I don´t have the energy to find out. It´s normally a madhouse here in the biggest stores, anyway.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#6 Old 11-27-2003, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

After Thanksgiving sales? Is it like Boxing Day sales? Lousy Canadian Thanksgiving.. the only thing on sale here the next day are ugly vinyl tablecloths and turkey thermometers.
#7 Old 11-27-2003, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Mrs KC and I are spreading out to claim two different gift cards for $15 and then I'm hitting WalMart for a new camcorder that's on sale for under $200!!

I'm pissed, I bought two really nice Sony camcorders in the last six years and both have crapped out. I'm going cheap this time...can't get any worse!!
#8 Old 11-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't stand the crowds, so no.

I have plans tomorrow evening around 6, though, and I'm dreading the traffic trying to get there. I'd probably better leave home at 4:30. *sigh*

But it'll be worth it, because the plans should turn out to be really fun.

I do the majority of my shopping online.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#9 Old 11-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope. I'm one of those people who will purposely go shopping when I know the stores will be nearly empty. I hate dealing with people, especially when they're cranky and keep walking into me.
#10 Old 11-27-2003, 02:20 PM

Shopping? No way! There's no bargain in the world that's worth fighting those crowds.

My sweetie's parents always ring bells (and take up donations, of course) for the Salvation Army on the day after Thanksgiving, and we will go help them. But I wouldn't go in a store for anything!
#11 Old 11-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Hell no! I'm scared of of crowds. I'm trying to convince my SO to go mountain biking instead.
#12 Old 11-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

There is no way I would step foot in a mall tomorrow!

My auntie owns a store down the street from me, though, and since I pulled my other aunt's name for Christmas, I may go there to see if I can get anything for her. But that's different... it's a teeny store without any other stores nearby and, really, not all that many customers.
#13 Old 11-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

ohh tomorrow is also buy nothing day

Quote:
THE ISSUES...

Buy Nothing Day exposes the environmental and ethical consequences of consumerism. The developed countries - only 20% of the world population are consuming over 80% of the earth's natural resources, causing a disproportionate level of environmental damage and unfair distribution of wealth.

As consumers we need to question the products we buy and challenge the companies who produce them. What are the true risks to the environment and developing countries? The argument is broad and deep - while it continues we should be looking for simple solutions - Buy Nothing Day is a good place to start.

Of course, Buy Nothing Day isn't about changing your lifestyle for just one day - we want it to be a lasting relationship - maybe a life changing experience? We want people to make a commitment to consuming less, recycling more and challenging companies to clean up and be fair. The supermarket or shopping mall might offer choice, but this shouldn't be at the cost of the environment or developing countries.

Look around the site - you'll find information about the issues related to Buy Nothing Day. Read the BND FAQ page - still not convinced? Look at the RESOURCES page with information linking to other organisations with issues related to consumption, sweatshops and ethical consumerism.

http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/

#14 Old 11-28-2003, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah, I forgot about Buy Nothing Day. I unfortunately don't celebrate Buy Nothing Day, and am excited by any opportunity to save money. I do want a new digital camera (dogs broke my other one), so I'm going to get it while it's cheap ($49). I'd rather not deal with people, but I'll put up with it to save a hundred bucks. ; )
#15 Old 11-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope, nope, nope.
#16 Old 11-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Id rather stab myself with knives...
#17 Old 11-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

well it wasn't thanksgiving here in canada but there are a bunch of sales this weekend cause many of the stores have american and canadian locations. guess it's not fair to have sales in the states and not here. hoping to get a bit of christmas shopping done, i work in the mall anyway so it's not a big deal, i get to watch for the things i want to buy to go on sale and then i just go get them on lunch break. i very seldom go out specifically to go shopping these days.

on the other hand there's a big sale at one of my jobs this weekend so it'll be busy as heck and at the other job we're really booked up with appointments, so yeah it's kinda hectic and exhausting right now.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#18 Old 11-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't left the house all day!

Was thinking of doing some overdue clothes-shopping, but ennnnh. Would rather see a movie right now. After I eat, that is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page