disturbing tag.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 AM

Okay I wasn't sure where to put this but I really need to rant. My boyfriend has a shirt that has a couple pandas on it and it says "enjoi".. which leads me to believe that is the companys name? And while he and I were sorting laundry this morning I checked the tag to see how to wash it, the tag read:

"Laundry keeps women busy."

I was so offended I could not believe in 2009 this **** is still happening. Has anyone ever seen this before? Am I over reacting by being so angry? haha

Thanks for listening to the rant haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 AM

Enjoi has made skateboarding stuff for awhile. I thought it was funny, and I don't think I'm sexist. I think they count on people getting offended/talking about it to sell them. I'd wait to see what was on the tag of their women's line before making a judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherann027 View Post

Okay I wasn't sure where to put this but I really need to rant. My boyfriend has a shirt that has a couple pandas on it and it says "enjoi".. which leads me to believe that is the companys name? And while he and I were sorting laundry this morning I checked the tag to see how to wash it, the tag read:

"Laundry keeps women busy."

I was so offended I could not believe in 2009 this **** is still happening. Has anyone ever seen this before? Am I over reacting by being so angry? haha

Thanks for listening to the rant haha

#3 Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

It's supposed to be a joke I think. I have problems with jokes like that a lot of the time, since usually the person saying the joke doesn't mean it. It just hurts to know that there are people in the world who do believe these things.
#4 Old 01-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I think thats pretty funny!
#5 Old 01-30-2009, 02:02 PM

Does anyone else find it a little tiny bit maybe funny that a woman was doing her boyfriend's laundry when she read this?

I wouldnt take it to heart. Yes, it sucks that people honestly think this, but the company doesn't. (and you're doing exactly what they want you to do - talking about it while spreading their brand name, getting them more publicity and maybe more sales)
#6 Old 01-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's a little bit funny that they actually have the guts to put that on their tags, but a lot rude. If anything, it would make me NOT want to buy their products though. Just a little too rude for my taste.

I would be interested to know what is on the women's clothing tags though, just to see if they attempt to "even it out" I guess.
#7 Old 01-30-2009, 04:54 PM

It's a joke. It's kind of like the bazillion shows that portray men as fat morons.
#8 Old 01-30-2009, 05:01 PM

may be the only one but to me its not funny and it irks me off alot...
#9 Old 01-31-2009, 11:49 AM

haha Well I'm glad at least one person didn't find it amusing.

For the record my boyfriend was doing the laundry with me when I found the tag.

I don't know. I lived in Brazil for a long time and it's very sexist there. Women were not equal to men on so many levels. Now that I am back to the US it just woke up how women really are not "equals" like they say we are. I could go on for awhile but I won't. haha

Anyway thanks for the feedback guys.
#10 Old 01-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Funny thing is I am a male that lives a lone, guess what Laundry Keeps Me Busy too....

just remember that the company that printed the shirt has a demographic, just as I am sure the people who print the "Boys Suck" shirts do too....

Not defending the tag itself but the fact is it is a two way street.

That said if you dont like it tell the bf and if he refuses to stop supporting that company than that may be a problem you can deal with.
#11 Old 01-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Does anyone else find it a little tiny bit maybe funny that a woman was doing her boyfriend's laundry when she read this?

I lol'ed at the irony for sure!

If I had found that tag I would have peed my pants laughing at it.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#12 Old 01-31-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Glad it wasn't just me!
#13 Old 01-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally that would have ticked me off too.
#14 Old 01-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

me too
#15 Old 01-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchback View Post

I'd wait to see what was on the tag of their women's line before making a judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

I would be interested to know what is on the women's clothing tags though, just to see if they attempt to "even it out" I guess.

I've always wondered why people think sexism can be "evened out" by slamming men.

I mean, if I hit someone, and then offer to let them hit me back, is that "evening things out", or is it just plain wrong?

Why do some men value sexism so much that they are willing to allow women to try to insult them back, just to maintain the privilege of continuing to promote sexist views? Being expected to tolerate sexist stereotypes against women, and claiming that it is acceptable because women are free to maintain sexist stereotypes against men if they want to, is pretty damn stupid, in my opinion.

None of this is directed at anyone in particular, I just collected those quotes because they are examples of the idea I am trying to challenge.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#16 Old 02-01-2009, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Views are a lot like hitting people.
#17 Old 02-01-2009, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Have to admit I chuckled at it myself.

If you register on their website they ask for your sister's bra size and cell number.

Just goofy skateboarder antics.
#18 Old 02-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_eat_bambi View Post

me too

+ another 1

(honestly, I really wouldn't know how to stand life, if I couldn't simply laugh off something like this, and/or laugh at myself occasionally)
#19 Old 02-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I got a chuckle out of it myself.

Kinda similar to this tag:

#20 Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I got a chuckle out of it myself.

Kinda similar to this tag:

This doesnt amuse me either the implication that doing my laundry is my moms job makes me wanna puke.......thats sooo offensive...where is a tag about a Dad doing something? hmmmmmm intresting....very intresting...
#21 Old 02-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry, I thought both were funny as hell. I think people need to lighten up a bit.
#22 Old 02-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Sorry, I thought both were funny as hell. I think people need to lighten up a bit.

LL
#23 Old 02-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadaba89 View Post

It's kind of like the bazillion shows that portray men as fat morons.

Fat morons with young, sexy, attractive wives.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#24 Old 02-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm kind of torn between being amused and offended. if that item of clothing was a guy's and at my house, i would probably get a permanent marker and blacken out the "wo" part. it'd make no difference, but i'd feel better.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#25 Old 02-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I've always wondered why people think sexism can be "evened out" by slamming men.

I mean, if I hit someone, and then offer to let them hit me back, is that "evening things out", or is it just plain wrong?

Why do some men value sexism so much that they are willing to allow women to try to insult them back, just to maintain the privilege of continuing to promote sexist views? Being expected to tolerate sexist stereotypes against women, and claiming that it is acceptable because women are free to maintain sexist stereotypes against men if they want to, is pretty damn stupid, in my opinion.

None of this is directed at anyone in particular, I just collected those quotes because they are examples of the idea I am trying to challenge.

The tag was on a piece of clothing made by a skateboarding company. Most urban type industries (i.e. urban outfitters) tend to add humor in their lines on both sides of the gender spectrum. Personally, I like women that are *****y and have a good sense of humor.

The definition of sexism is based off of socially practiced gender roles. If we (society) didn't exhibit the behaviors, NO ONE would be offended by this or amused by it as well. To look at it and laugh would mean that we recognize the "wrongness" of it to a point. To be offended by it only confirms it.
#26 Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 AM

Honestly, I don't have that much time in the day. I am going to use what time I do have by not being offended by everything.

edit: By the way, in college I took many sex and gender classes. I even had to read the Ya-Ya books as an assignment.
#27 Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 PM

I remember doing a study in one of my college sex/gender classes. Typically in sitcoms the "fat and dumb" husband as one of you put it works a blue collar job. Where if the husband appears smart and fit, he's in a very high executive position.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page