not finishing college - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I feel like such a muck up cause I haven't gone back to finish up what I started (a medical coding program) but then I didn't really like the program that much. I can't think of anything I want to do for sure. I hate to waste all that money on something for nothing. I have thought about just getting a management degree.

I have no clue what I want to be when I grow up.

I work at a bank now and I have been there for going on 4 years and I am kinda bored. My manager hasn't sent me to training for the next step up of jobs cause I think she thinks I am too shy and softspoken to go to the next level .

I have been doing the job I am doing now for 3 years and I am kinda bored and annoyed at the childishness of the people I work with. I have been a head teller for this time a teller for three years and I want to do something else. I like my job but I need to be challenged. I deal with people every day. Why couldn't I sit in an office and open accounts???

I am not sure where to place this thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a genetics major, and I find the material pretty interesting. You could try taking classes from different areas and see what interests you.
#3 Old 01-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

that is true but not free...
#4 Old 01-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Banned

if you want to step up the ladder, i think you need to show your manager that you can do it, and that you really want it. be assertive- ask again for some training. sell yourself. convince her!

if she doesn't think you have the assertiveness skills, ask for training in this area. ask her to specify what you need to do to be ready for the training- for clear and measureable targets and goals to work towards to get there.

be motivated, be postive, be annoyingly persistant but do so with a smile and with the clear intent of being the best employee and asset to the company that you can. if you want it, make it happen.

i'd also advise some careers councelling. some youth employment agencies and charities offer personality profiling, skills testing, etc, either for free or for very low cost. something like this could help you explore the other avenues that are open for you to persue, help you narrow down your strengths and interests, and help you work out how you could best utilise them, etc.

if you follow up what you discover with some carefully selected part-time volunteering, this plan might give you a great taste of what different jobs that suit you really involve, and help you decide what you want to do next (i say next, cos the whole 'be' thing about jobs is a bit meh with me- expect to 'be' and do loads of different things over the next 60 years or so- not just one thing).
#5 Old 01-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_eat_bambi View Post

. . . I can't think of anything I want to do for sure. . . I have no clue what I want to be when I grow up.

Oh, Lament of the Renaissance Mind!

This is something that has affected me greatly. And for the longest time kept me away from college. And since, I have switched majors countless times.

I think a problem comes from our culture's focus on careerism. College is no longer academic in focus, but in preparing someone for a specific place in the social/business machine.

There are a few colleges out there that have a focus for "DaVinci" learners, such as http://www.evergreen.edu/

I've taken a variety of personality and skill inventories, and they helped a bit in determining areas that I would excel in and areas I would greatly dislike.

I think one of the most important things is realizing that we are not our careers. We are not our vocation. A vocation is merely one aspect of who we are. And we don't have to stay in a single vocation our entire lives.

As far as college goes, quite a few people end up working in careers that aren't really related to their major. I ended up choosing a major with low requirements (English,) and while I currently really really dislike it and want to switch again (back to a science,) I understand that I if I keep switching like this I will never finish.

Someone gave me advice once. That learners like us need to set many small educational goals. It becomes no longer choosing a specific path, as choosing a specific path for now. While this becomes more difficult because of money, I think this helped me at least to stay on my current path.

I'm an English-Writing major, and plan on going to gradschool for Environmental Education or Film or pursuing Game Design. I figure if I set an arbitrary 10 year block for one area, I can always pursue something else later. Maybe I'll do Film for a while, then go back and learn Engineering.

But I had to start something. I found myself working at Walmart for 2 years, standing on the starting platform trying to figure out my entire vocational path. I had to start walking forward. Sure, I don't have it all perfectly lined up like most people. Sure, I've "wasted" a lot of time and money if looked at from a career perspective. But I'm a very well rounded learner.

While being a "master of none" has it's drawbacks, being a "jack of all trades" has it's benefits.
#6 Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

that is true but not free...

I'm pretty sure that if someone snuck into some of my larger classes (200-300 people) no one would notice.

I don't know how legal that would be though.
#7 Old 01-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

you all have points.... hmmm My manager would never say that. I just feel it....
#8 Old 01-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMonkey View Post

I'm pretty sure that if someone snuck into some of my larger classes (200-300 people) no one would notice.

I don't know how legal that would be though.

hehe... I like smaller classes too. I am kinda shy and introverted. I would hate to be called on to be the center of attention in a class that large and be wrong about a subject/ question.... There aren't many colleges around here that large. I have thought about online classes . but once again... I would have to pick a specific thing
#9 Old 01-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

you all have points.... hmmm My manager would never say that. I just feel it....

well, talk to them- ask. feelings are sometimes really inaccurate and they're not a great method of communication either.
#10 Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Going to school or selecting a major isn't a life commitment. Stick it out with your best guess and plow through. At the very least your education will be a resource that will make it far easier to change you mind in later on, when the time comes.
#11 Old 01-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

well, talk to them- ask. feelings are sometimes really inaccurate and they're not a great method of communication either.

i know... there will be a different manager sometime in the next year (the current asst manager) ... I am trying to keep my mouth shut until then.
#12 Old 01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a BA in Liberal Arts. I took a ton of random classes, a lot of theater and psych credits, and left college with a sort of vague idea of what I wanted to do with my life.

Then I managed a vet hospital for 4 yrs.

Now I'm getting a PhD in Social Work and I want to be a researcher. I always sort of wanted to do research... just didn't really know how to get into it. But that's a bit beside the point -- getting a college degree in ANYTHING will open more opportunities for you. You can get a degree in nothing special (like my BA in Liberal Arts) and then figure out what you want to do with it later.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I have a BA in Liberal Arts. I took a ton of random classes, a lot of theater and psych credits, and left college with a sort of vague idea of what I wanted to do with my life.

Then I managed a vet hospital for 4 yrs.

Now I'm getting a PhD in Social Work and I want to be a researcher. I always sort of wanted to do research... just didn't really know how to get into it. But that's a bit beside the point -- getting a college degree in ANYTHING will open more opportunities for you. You can get a degree in nothing special (like my BA in Liberal Arts) and then figure out what you want to do with it later.

that is what I am thinking... now picking something that won't bore me is the hard part....
#14 Old 01-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

that is what I am thinking... now picking something that won't bore me is the hard part....

Just start taking classes at community college that interest you. Credits are credits, you can fill in the blanks with "requirements" (my school didn't have these so it wasn't an issue) when you have a better idea of what you want to do.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 01-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I think rabid_child is right on. I was in your situation several years ago. I had dropped out of college and had joined the army, did my four years and got out, then I was working as a legal assistant but still had no degree and no way to advance. Eventually I finished my degree (ended up getting in psychology) and now I'm working on a Ph.D. as a researcher in psych.

This all unfolded very slowly; I was 30 when I finished my BA. Your profile indicates you're still pretty young, so don't feel like you don't have time to make these decisions.
#16 Old 01-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7dk View Post

I think rabid_child is right on. I was in your situation several years ago. I had dropped out of college and had joined the army, did my four years and got out, then I was working as a legal assistant but still had no degree and no way to advance. Eventually I finished my degree (ended up getting in psychology) and now I'm working on a Ph.D. as a researcher in psych.

This all unfolded very slowly; I was 30 when I finished my BA. Your profile indicates you're still pretty young, so don't feel like you don't have time to make these decisions.

I feel so old sometimes. I know it sounds mucked up but I do. I feel like I am behind somehow(may be cause I live in the south in the bible belt) I dont know. Most all of the folks I grew up with already got some sort of certificate or degree and have a couple of children. I don't have any of those things. (I dont want children now though) but sometimes I feel more out of place than I already do(being the weirdo that I am ) .

Thank you all for your thoughts on the matter.
#17 Old 01-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:

I feel so old sometimes. I know it sounds mucked up but I do. I feel like I am behind somehow(may be cause I live in the south in the bible belt) I dont know. Most all of the folks I grew up with already got some sort of certificate or degree and have a couple of children. I don't have any of those things. (I dont want children now though) but sometimes I feel more out of place than I already do(being the weirdo that I am ) .

Thank you all for your thoughts on the matter.

it sounds a bit like you're struggling between judging yourself on other peoples standards, expectations and marker points in life, and working out who you are and what your own values and desires are. good luck with that.
#18 Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

it sounds a bit like you're struggling between judging yourself on other peoples standards, expectations and marker points in life, and working out who you are and what your own values and desires are. good luck with that.

that is always... hahaha it does make me lol
#19 Old 01-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I had trouble deciding what I wanted to study at university, but fortunately my parents just told me to pick what I loved, and the rest would follow...

Since I wanted to study everything, I decided to study Anthropology. Literally, the study of man... You can study anything under the guise of anthropology, really, and I loved that. I took a pretty diverse group of elective subjects as well.

Through most of my degree, I thought I wanted to go to grad school, get my PhD and be a prof. Then, somehow, the idea became less appealing to me as I learned more about the whole process. I then bounced around from idea to idea, trying to figure out what to be when I grew up.

When I graduated, I still wasn't sure, so I just kept working the theatre where I was part time while in school. Then, I got promotion after promotion and became the operations manager of the theatre and restaurant.

I still knew I wanted to go back to school, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was I wanted to do, until this summer, when it just smacked me upside the head.

I'm starting a program in September to become a holistic health care practitioner, so I can open my own community based wellness clinic.

The funniest part is I had this dream of the clinic when I was 15 and even wrote out a business plan. Then I put it away and forgot about it completely for the next 10 years!

The moral of my story is... Just do something you love and everything else will fall into place.... eventually.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#20 Old 01-25-2009, 06:54 PM

I am sorta in the same place you are...I never finished...due to personal reasons...and my moms medical issues...she needed me and I picked my mom over my education...she has been doing better so I am back finishing up and taking some other classes that intrest me....I never stopped learning...I call myself a student of life...but It has felt really good to go back....I felt old when I first went back...but wasnt the oldest one in my classes...so its all good.

I do enjoy working at the funeral home though and think maybe thats the career for me...working in the morgue of a hospital or something like that...thats always an option...

peace love and happiness
#21 Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Beginner

My brother is getting certified to be a medical coder. He isn't going to college for it, just studying from the books and then he'll register to take the test. Apparently, there's an easier test that a lot of places recognize and then a harder one that most do. Have you thought about just taking the test and not finishing and actual degree? Just getting certified?
#22 Old 01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nywyn View Post

My brother is getting certified to be a medical coder. He isn't going to college for it, just studying from the books and then he'll register to take the test. Apparently, there's an easier test that a lot of places recognize and then a harder one that most do. Have you thought about just taking the test and not finishing and actual degree? Just getting certified?

I didn't take any of the "coding classes" I have only taken the other prerequisite courses. I guess I could try to learn from the books. I don't know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page