Two churches getting into a tiff - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 AM

**note** it would only let me put the first 8 images, so for the last one just go to the link

My pastor posted this on his blog and I LOLed so thought I'd post here:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_G-0cUWXLyY...s400/a+d+9.bmp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

hehehehe That's good

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#3 Old 01-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL!!

And I wait to see the animals I have loved and lost. So yes all dogs go to heaven in my opinion!
#4 Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Banned

#5 Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

hee
#6 Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

That's funny!

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#7 Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM

http://www.churchsigngenerator.com/

Have fun! Trick your co-workers
#8 Old 01-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthrise View Post

http://www.churchsigngenerator.com/

Have fun! Trick your co-workers

awwww ya ruint it! Still really funny regardless.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#9 Old 01-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Even if it's a fake, it totally made my day!! Thanks!
#10 Old 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Beginner

Haha, I love churchsigngenerator.com.

I had a coworker once named Aaron Willis, and he had one of those printed out and taped to his door:

That makes me think of a conversation I had with my daughter recently. Her first "brush with death" was when a mouse that lived in our kitchen died a horrible, painful death (we didn't kill him ourselves, but Frank was the unfortunate victim of a life lived next to a dishwasher). This happened two years ago, but she still talks about Frank all the time.

The other day, she asked if Frank was in mouse Heaven. I told her that yes, Frank's mouse-God took her to mouse Heaven. This launched into a discussion about other animals and their lives after death...

All very healthy conversation for a five-year-old!
#11 Old 01-20-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7dk View Post

Even if it's a fake, it totally made my day!! Thanks!

Oh yea. I knew it was fake but its awesome!

#12 Old 01-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Funny argument!

I hate to add an inappropriately serious remark to this discussion, but I remember once reading on a Catholic answer site an explanation of the Catholic view on this matter. I think the fake sign from Our Lady of Martyrs is heretical, unfortunately.

Quote:
I suppose that one could tell the child that when he hopefully gets to heaven, he could ask God to see his old pets if he still wished to. There would be no harm in that. For we know that when a person finally sees God, he will not be concerned with seeing old pets or favorite places but rather will be captured in the complete fulfillment of the joy of which old pets and favorite places are but little signs. We adults know that, even if the child does not.

This struck me as kind of awful. It's one thing to say that, gosh, it would be nice if we could see our dogs in heaven, but there's no reason to think that we will; God's will is ineffable, everything we do get is by His grace and it would be impudent to demand more, so we should cherish our dogs while they live, etc, etc.

However, the answer given is that in God's presence we won't get to see the lost dogs, but we just won't care because just being in God's presence is that great. This is a depiction of being in His presence as an addiction that blots out all of our concern for other beings -- a substitution of divine love for Earthly love and compassion, rather than an addition to it.

I think the Catholics at EWTN need to think this through a bit more. Say something disconsoling, saddening, and disturbing if you must, but don't say something sick like that.

I'm an atheist, myself; I'm not attacking Catholicism generally here. I'm just saying that that particular answer was not at all satisfactory.
#13 Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

Funny argument!

I hate to add an inappropriately serious remark to this discussion, but I remember once reading on a Catholic answer site an explanation of the Catholic view on this matter. I think the fake sign from Our Lady of Martyrs is heretical, unfortunately.

This struck me as kind of awful. It's one thing to say that, gosh, it would be nice if we could see our dogs in heaven, but there's no reason to think that we will; God's will is ineffable, everything we do get is by His grace and it would be impudent to demand more, so we should cherish our dogs while they live, etc, etc.

However, the answer given is that in God's presence we won't get to see the lost dogs, but we just won't care because just being in God's presence is that great. This is a depiction of being in His presence as an addiction that blots out all of our concern for other beings -- a substitution of divine love for Earthly love and compassion, rather than an addition to it.

I think the Catholics at EWTN need to think this through a bit more. Say something disconsoling, saddening, and disturbing if you must, but don't say something sick like that.

I'm an atheist, myself; I'm not attacking Catholicism generally here. I'm just saying that that particular answer was not at all satisfactory.

I know many protestants who would answer the same way, and they wouldn't just say that in reference to animals. Want to see your deceased spouse? Well, you both may be in heaven, but you're not gonna care anymore. No more marriage in heaven, a direct teaching from Jesus, they'd say.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#14 Old 01-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

to be clear about the catholic perspective, animals have what are called "transcient souls" so they do not go to heaven until creation itself no longer exists. the animating force, or soul, of the animal passes into other animals.

and, as the site referenced above notes, heaven itself isn't a place so much as a state of being--a union with God.

because all souls--transcient or otherwise--are from or an aspect of the divine (God), unless a soul is "lost," then both sorts of souls return to heaven. so when physical creation no longer exists, the transcient soul of animals returns to the source, and therefore All dogs do go to heaven, as there is really only one "dog" which is the transcient soul of all dogs.

it's not as confusing as it reads. it's basically reincarnation.
#15 Old 01-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Would the Pope agree with this explanation? (I am serious.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

to be clear about the catholic perspective, animals have what are called "transcient souls" so they do not go to heaven until creation itself no longer exists. the animating force, or soul, of the animal passes into other animals.

and, as the site referenced above notes, heaven itself isn't a place so much as a state of being--a union with God.

because all souls--transcient or otherwise--are from or an aspect of the divine (God), unless a soul is "lost," then both sorts of souls return to heaven. so when physical creation no longer exists, the transcient soul of animals returns to the source, and therefore All dogs do go to heaven, as there is really only one "dog" which is the transcient soul of all dogs.

it's not as confusing as it reads. it's basically reincarnation.

#16 Old 01-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

hahaha, that was great even though it was fake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page