eBay -- what would you consider a "mint" cd? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Just wondering. I think my criteria are a bit different from some people's. With a digipak, I guess there is more wear than for a jewel case, but how much is necessary and how much avoidable?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2009, 02:53 AM
Banned

I would consider mint to be still in the shrinkwrap.
#3 Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that would be classified as New

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#4 Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Although some would call "mint" to be "fresh from the mint" as in the same as "new," I think what you're trying to get at is "not new or in the shrinkwrap but otherwise perfect." You can simply state in more detail for prospective buyers what exactly you mean by your terms. If there's no shrinkwrap, say so. If there are a couple of scratches on the packaging, but the CD itself is untouched, say so. If you only unwrapped the CD, opened it, pulled out the CD and realized it wasn't what you wanted so you put it back and set to selling it, then say that.

I think there is a lot of confusion about what these terms really mean when selling, so more detail helps buyers understand what the product really is.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm asking because I've bought a "mint" item but I don't think it's really mint.

But yeah, one would hope that people specify in detail what they mean by the terms. Or put photos or scans of the item so the buyer can see the condition him/herself.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#6 Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I'm asking because I've bought a "mint" item but I don't think it's really mint.

But yeah, one would hope that people specify in detail what they mean by the terms. Or put photos or scans of the item so the buyer can see the condition him/herself.

Ahhhh gotcha, I presumed from your first post you were selling an item.

What were you thinking was "mint," and what is the actual condition of the item? What was the seller's entire description of the item on eBay?

Depending on how great the difference is, it could be worth asking for part or all of your money back, or short of that giving negative (and specific) feedback on that seller's ratings. Or, asking that the seller list in detail in the future and not just expect people to have the same definition of "mint" as s/he does.

I can't recall, on eBay is there a way to contact a seller to ask questions about an item before you buy it? When you know there is confusion about the definition of a word, it behooves the potential buyers to ask for clarification. Buyer beware and all that.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Well, mint should mean it's in like new condition. And if something is described as mint there should be no need to post scans. There should be no confusion as to what that word means. It means the same thing whether you're grading coins, baseball cards, comic books, whatever.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

What were you thinking was "mint," and what is the actual condition of the item? What was the seller's entire description of the item on eBay?

Depending on how great the difference is, it could be worth asking for part or all of your money back, or short of that giving negative (and specific) feedback on that seller's ratings. Or, asking that the seller list in detail in the future and not just expect people to have the same definition of "mint" as s/he does.

I can't recall, on eBay is there a way to contact a seller to ask questions about an item before you buy it? When you know there is confusion about the definition of a word, it behooves the potential buyers to ask for clarification. Buyer beware and all that.

It was a digipak, and I think the definition for 'mint' was by eBay or something. It wasn't badly damaged or anything, so mainly I'm considering whether to leave negative or neutral feedback. Sellers can be contacted beforehand, but since the description promised "no signs of wear", I didn't feel the need to ask anything.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#9 Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

you should lick it. that'll clear things up. if it tastes like toothpaste, its mint, alright.

beyond that, i'd go with still in the shrinkwrap, and not a single scratch or even a tiny crumple on the wrapper. you sould be able to smell the music (and the mintiness).
#10 Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

It should look and run like new. It shouldn't skip, the jewel case shouldn't be scuffed, chipped or cracked, and the insert shouldn't be torn or wrinkled or anything. It should be like they got a new CD, opened it, listened to it once or twice, decided they didn't want it, and put it back in the case and resold it.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

It should look and run like new. It shouldn't skip, the jewel case shouldn't be scuffed, chipped or cracked, and the insert shouldn't be torn or wrinkled or anything. It should be like they got a new CD, opened it, listened to it once or twice, decided they didn't want it, and put it back in the case and resold it.

+1
#12 Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

It should be like they got a new CD, opened it, listened to it once or twice, decided they didn't want it, and put it back in the case and resold it.

This is how I would define it too.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page