Let's talk wallpaper!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Our new house is plastered in tacky wallpaper and borders that we're trying to get down and get the rooms painted before we move in in a few weeks. Some of the wallpaper is coming down no problem -- some is coming down with the help of a perforating tool and some wallpaper remover liquid -- and some isn't coming down at all no matter what. It seems the previous homeowners decided not to take down the original wallpaper; rather, they plastered over it and put up new wallpaper without priming the walls or anything. On those walls, the wallpaper isn't coming off, or is taking off the plaster with it OR the wall. We've tried the wallpaper remover stuff, soap and water, soaking it, but it seems the plaster soaks through with the wallpaper and just leaves holes everywhere if it will come off at all.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips that doesn't involve us renting a steamer??

And to anyone who is thinking "Hmm, wallpaper would be nice..." It isn't. Don't do it.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

yeah, all i was going to suggest was a steamer- they are really very quick though, its definately worth the cost to get it all down pronto in large sections, if the alternative is spending weeks doing it inch by inch with a sponge and cold water running down your arms and tiny little bits of wallpaper everywhere *fondly remembers going through this with multiple layers of woodchip wallpaper over lath and plaster a few years ago*.

to be honest, i think if they didn't prep it right, whatever you do might screw up the plaster a bit- cos it'll be porous and unstable and the wallpaper paste is a bonding liquid, right? might be time to suck up to a friend of a friend who has a friend who is a plasterer, and see if she'll do a bit of cash in hand work on a weekend to smoothe over the mess when you get it all down.
#3 Old 12-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Beginner

I know NOTHING about wallpaper so forgive me if this sounds dumb, but could you use a humidifier to steam it instead of renting one?
#4 Old 12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

yeah, all i was going to suggest was a steamer- they are really very quick though, its definately worth the cost to get it all down pronto in large sections, if the alternative is spending weeks doing it inch by inch with a sponge and cold water running down your arms and tiny little bits of wallpaper everywhere *fondly remembers going through this with multiple layers of woodchip wallpaper over lath and plaster a few years ago*.

to be honest, i think if they didn't prep it right, whatever you do might screw up the plaster a bit- cos it'll be porous and unstable and the wallpaper paste is a bonding liquid, right? might be time to suck up to a friend of a friend who has a friend who is a plasterer, and see if she'll do a bit of cash in hand work on a weekend to smoothe over the mess when you get it all down.

I agree....I'd go for the replastering too.

Wallpaper isn't a popular or necessary decor option where I live so I know almost nothing about how to tackle this problem really, but I'd say if you're going to attempt this job, do it properly and thoroughly and you'll get a much better result.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page