VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Veggie Patch (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16-veggie-patch/)
-   -   Random musings of an aging veggie (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16-veggie-patch/90031-random-musings-aging-veggie.html)

Beancounter 11-09-2008 07:56 AM

MODERATOR: I meant to put this in veggie patch. Not fun and games. Please move. Thanks!

A VBer on another thread mentioned that her father was about Obama's age.

OMG..I'm about Obama's age. When did this happen? How did it happen?

I didn't hear the starting gun. No one told me when to run..

I remember when I became a veggie (in my early 20's.) Many of the other veggies I associated with were aging hippies in their 40's and 50's. I remember viewing them as old geezers who were set in their ways.

My cousins who were learning to walk when I last saw them are in college...

Now I'm an aging Gen Xer.

It doesn't have the same "impact" as aging hippie, nonetheless...

I still emotionally feel like I'm in my 20's. (young at heart). But my body is slowing down...I just can't drink 2 six packs and not regret it later... It takes a lot more effort to control my middle.

I remember the anti-nuke protest marches, the walks for hunger and AIDS. The chip on my shoulder that kept the fire in my belly, crumbled away a long time ago..or was its yesterday.

Now I'm sitting in suburbia going to my white collar desk job, watching the seasons pass before my eyes as I blink. ..OK, so winter takes two blinks.

Anyone one else have thoughts along those lines.

Kicking and screaming into oblivion...

Amy SF 11-09-2008 09:04 AM

My sister once forwarded an email to me that had a list of technology and scientific advances of the last few decades, and there was a question posted underneath that said "Doesn't this all make you feel OLD?" I responded that no, it doesn't. It's exciting to me to live through all these changes and advances, much like somebody living through the age of the automobile, the radio, the television, etc. So to anyone who feels OLD watching their life go by, step back and look at the larger picture, how much your life has improved and changed since you were very small. Then step back even more and look at the even bigger picture of how humankind in general has advanced and changed over the centuries. In the 18th century, news usually took weeks to be sent between people living in different British colonies, and eventually American states, and months to cross the Atlantic between the colonies/states and Europe. Now news can be sent in the blink of an eye, on the internet.

That's just one example. Look forward, look positive, not backwards and negative!

*AHIMSA* 11-09-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

I remember the anti-nuke protest marches, the walks for hunger and AIDS. The chip on my shoulder that kept the fire in my belly, crumbled away a long time ago..or was its yesterday.

Now I'm sitting in suburbia going to my white collar desk job, watching the seasons pass before my eyes as I blink. ..OK, so winter takes two blinks.

What about the perks that come with your "white collar job"? Tell us about those. Do you have financial security? The ability to travel? Buy good, organic food? Do you own a home and have the ability to care for your family in the manner you wish?

Where's the fire? Do you volunteer? Are you an activist? Stir it UP!!!

giselle 11-09-2008 08:39 PM

I've been a veg for 20 years now and I have noted progress only in the number of options for soymilk and fake meats at the grocery store. It's very disappointing.

My job is my activism: I work with special needs kids. But I make a lot less money than I did back then.

Veggily 11-09-2008 09:57 PM

I'm "seasoned," too. I remember playing 45's on my record player, that's how old I am! Sometimes, I look in the mirror and wonder who that is staring back at me. Yikes, WTF happened?! Luckily, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I believe in that old saying, "You made your bed..." and ask myself, "Veggily, is THIS the bed you made? A little foresight would have been helpful, no?" Hmmmm, perhaps if I change the sheets, it will be more comfy? On the bright side, it turns out we get this change of life where we can re-think things and travel down new roads that we didn't notice before. So maybe the best is yet to come?

I think it's cool you've been a veggie for DECADES.

paisleyjane 11-09-2008 11:53 PM

I look in the mirror and think about how this isn't what I pictured adulthood being like, and I don't look how I thought I'd look, I'm not doing what I thought I'd do... but, that doesn't mean what I have is worse, just very different. In fact, it's probably better...

I have a lot of love in my life and I feel very very greatful.

I have been pulling out one or two grey hairs every day for the last few months, and then a few days ago I decided to just... stop. Let them grow. Whatever.... grey hairs and laugh lines are beautiful.

DNK 11-10-2008 12:32 AM

I'm still pretty young, but I've certainly noticed change already. I can't drink much at all anymore - I think I pretty much killed my system in HS, or maybe it's just my tolerance is kaput. Probably both, but I'm happier this way. I don't want to go partying so much as I want to just go somewhere and enjoy the world. It's a bit odd, but I don't need that fix so much anymore, although a few rounds of flippy cup are always welcome. But I'm tired of the social scene now.

Anyway, upon finding out today that they've upped the compensation rate at the Peace Corps to exactly where I wanted to be (I swear, I wished for it to happen this morning and found out tonight it had already happened - crazy...), I plan on following that in the future, possibly as a career if I like it, and into grad school. I never really thought about careers or even the near-future earlier, and now I'm planning years in advance and getting excited over jobs and further education... I don't think I saw that coming, and honestly I can't even recall when the shift happened.

But winter still takes a g-damn eternity. Even at 80 I'll be complaining about how cold it is all year long... in Italy.

Brandon 11-10-2008 12:46 AM

This thread warms me and makes me laugh.

I am (almost) halfway through my 35th year, yet I relate to things said here.

I pulled TWO *snow white* hairs from my head last week. The first two, ever.

No greys..straight to white apparently.

Like what paisleyjane said,there is so much love around me.

I look in the mirror and I'm still me. A few differences, but I'm still hanging in there.

I run and stay active and eat well, and I think that helps.

A good dose of immaturity probably does too.

I'm not old. I'm still becoming. I'm SO far from over. Getting stronger all the time and learning every day. I'm grateful for all that's come into my life, the lessons I've learned and for every chance to better myself and help others when I can.

For the record, I've been meat-free since 1989. My 4 year vegan-a-versary is coming up on Feb. 27. My eyes are only looking forward.

GhostUser 11-10-2008 04:54 AM

I still feel like a teenager sometimes (which is when I went veggie) but I'm not! I'm not too bothered about my age (I'm below 35 btw) but I just want to enjoy myself now rather than wondering and getting upset about where my life went. I haven't got any grey hair yet but I will colour it when I do though.

karenlovessnow 11-10-2008 04:59 AM

Brandon....that's because you're 35!

I'm 56 and I understand what everyone is saying. I, too, look in the mirror and wonder, "who the h*ll are you?" because inside I haven't changed all that much. I can tell you that fighting it isn't very productive. You kind of have to go with the flow. Kicking and screaming once in a while is ok, just don't let it overtake you.

The hardest part for me, other than the physical changes, is that I am becoming the older generation...that is, all the grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles have passed on with the exception of two aunts who are still hanging in there. My kids are grown; one is married with a baby on the way. So I definitely have new and exciting adventures ahead of me. I'm sure this plays a factor in my being able to see the future in a positive light. Not so sure how I would feel if I didn't have solid family relationships.

Anyway, it's ok to look back and reflect. Just don't let it get you down!

GhostUser 11-10-2008 05:03 AM

Oh now I feel too young to have responded to this thread! But I can see how older people feel, maybe because lots of my friends are younger than me I feel old next to them.

I think going with the flow is very good advice though, too much rebellion and conflict doesn't make for happiness I think.

Beancounter 11-10-2008 10:17 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your responses. I'm not depressed or rebelling against the inevitable.

..Just thinking about how fast time seemed to go between my 20's and 40's, and how age is affecting my body. I remember being mad that I got carded a lot, but now no one asks for my ID anymore. It's amazing what a few gray hairs will do..

People have been calling me "sir" for a long time now...

As for renewing activism.. Well, I work in the world of finance.. It's one of the few professions where you don't know when you'll be going home. 5pm, 8pm, 1am... Saturday, Sunday...it's hard to manage after work activities. I spend the free time I have with my son.

cinders7 11-10-2008 10:28 AM

I think getting older is sometimes hard, but had too smile when a older lady called me young lady a few weeks back, made me feel good, I'm 45

Teresa 11-10-2008 02:42 PM

Beancounter, at 48 I can absolutely relate to your post! My thoughts on aging are pretty complex. I too feel young at heart although I prefer people in my similar age group.

Oh yes, and to look in the mirror and wonder who that is. And why do they look so much like my mother!?

Brandon 11-10-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Brandon....that's because you're 35!

I'm still aging though, we all are!

vefo 11-10-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

I hear you beancounter, being in the mid 40's but still feeling 20ish I feel a cloud of desperation drifting over me as that hour glass of life empties before my eyes. All those dreams and aspirations seam to have lost out to responsibility, duty and providing security for others. My health and fitness are everything and the older active generation inspire me .

Would I want to really be 20 again! not on your life.