Urgent-help save an innocent man - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been following this for a while, hoping that this person would be given a chance to prove his innocence. Troy Davis is still being ignored. While the petition may not do anything, it certainly won't hurt and it could help save this man's life long enough to present new witnesses in his favor.

Troy Davis is on death row because he was framed for killing a cop in Georgia. He intervened when a drug dealer was pistol-whipping a homeless man. An off-duty cop ran in shouting and the dealer shot him. Everyone scattered. The dealer was a suspect until he volunteered a statement that implicated Troy. There were nine witnesses, of which seven have recanted (at peril of being prosecuted for perjury) and claim extreme police harassment being the reason they lied. There was no physical evidence and no murder weapon ever found. Since then there have been other people who have come forward with stories that implicate the dealer.

Being a poor black man in Georgia with a ****ty public defender and accused of killing a white cop, Troy got death. He got an execution date a year ago and massive international protests forced the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles to intervene. A month ago, with a case pending with the US Supreme Court, GA gave him and execution date of the 23rd. We stopped them with less than 2 hours to go. Almost 100,000 people contacted the Board of Pardons and Paroles, completely shutting down their phone, fax, and filling their e-mail. The US Supreme court stayed the execution so that they could decide if they would hear the case.

They decided on Tuesday that they would not hear the case. They gave no reason. The constitutional challenge they decided wasnt worth their consideration was whether the 8th Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment should be interpreted to prevent the execution of people who can prove their innocence.

We have 10 days to stop this execution. 130 people have been exonerated because of innocence. Lets make Troy #131.

This is the person to contact, ask for a stop to the execution:

Chairman Gale Buckner

State Board of Pardons and Paroles

2 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, SE

Suite 458, Balcony Level, East Tower

Atlanta, Georgia 30334-4909

Telephone: (404) 657-9350

Fax: 404-651-6670 and (404)651-8502

For more information:

nodeathpenalty.org

amnesty.org

petition for those outside of the us is here: http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/sit...x&action=11330
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2008, 02:18 AM
Banned

This is so sad Gillabean , even if someone supports the death penalty (which I don't ) ,when there is evidence that has raised serious doubts about his guilt and it cant get back into the justice system to be presented and evaluated , says little of the legal system in the USofA .

There does not even seem to be any forensic evidence to link him to the crime .

Can the Governor (or what ever you call them over there) still stop the killing on the 28th .
#3 Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, the Governor could stop the execution but has chosen not to. It's not politically expedient.

Both major party Presidential candidates support expanding the death penalty.
#4 Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

Yes, the Governor could stop the execution but has chosen not to. It's not politically expedient.

thats slack

Quote:
Both major party Presidential candidates support expanding the death penalty

^^ what do you mean Eleven , to introduce the DP into States that don't have the DP ?
#5 Old 10-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

No, they support expanding it to include crimes other than murder.
#6 Old 10-18-2008, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:

Good grief .
#7 Old 10-18-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Not germane to the topic at hand, but I think rape, in certain circumstances, particulary that of children, certainly deserves capitol punishment.
#8 Old 10-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^

This is why it's not politically expedient for the Governor to commute the sentence of Troy Davis and why he will die.
#9 Old 10-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:

^^^

This is why it's not politically expedient for the Governor to commute the sentence of Troy Davis and why he will die.

See, you're confused. I read nothing about Troy Davis raping anyone.

If Troy Davis does, in fact, die, it will be because he was convicted by a jury of his peers and because, yes, our current legal system is thoroughly effed up.

I am a far bigger fan of the Innocence Project than I am of capitol punishment, ESPECIALLY under our current legal system. And, given what little I have been in this thread, I'd have to say that Troy is getting screwed by that same system.

I simply commented on the apparent issues that you have with expanding capitol punishment.

*bowing out on this thread, unless I have more to say about the SPECIFIC topic*
#10 Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Your point of view is shared with tens of millions of Americans.

That political power has consequences.

You can't speak in favor of capital punishment and absolve yourself when it occurs.

Well, I guess you can.
#11 Old 10-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

It is sad bluesand. There's no evidence. No witnesses even against him, save the one person who implicated him before (likely to save himself from being further investigated). The office is being filled to the brim with faxes and emails and calls but unless the governor steps in again, there's nothing anyone can do.
#12 Old 10-21-2008, 04:25 AM
Beginner

It's so sad how messed up the justice system is, it scares the hell out of me. being in the wrong place at the wrong time can ruin your life forever. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to go to prison or death row for something I did not do.
#13 Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Unless you have evidence that he is being discriminated against because of his race, I don't see why it should be brought into this. I'll try to sign the petition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page