Barefoot - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

http://libaware.economads.com/barefootfaq.php

I think it's a pretty cool idea. Of course, in this day and age, it'd be hard to be barefoot ALL the time, but this article made me want to lose my shoes a lot more.

What do you think?

x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember a kid I grew up with used to run around barefoot all the time, his brothers too. I know many children do, but this was taken to an extreme. He would walk around on their jagged stone driveway without thinking about it. Well, sure if you walk around in your bare feet long enough you'll get callouses enough not to feel it. Here's the thing though. He used to walk up his very long drive way, I mean long drive way (they lived in the middle of nowhere) in deep snow to retrieve the mail from box near the road. He would do this not in a mad dash but rather a leisurely stroll. Come to think of it his older brother used to go skiing in a t-shirt when it was very cold out. I guess it was a genetic thing. Who knows? Anyway, go with the barefoot thing... why not?

P.S. why is barefoot one word but bare feet is two? No wonder I can't spell the rules don't make any sense. Oh yes,, I also found this link: Society for Barefoot Living

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 10-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Beginner

I think going barefoot is a great idea. When I was a kid I used to do it all the time. Now that I am older, I will occasionally go out into our yard barefoot on nice days.
#4 Old 10-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I like walking barefoot, but generally don't do it at night outdoors because I've stepped on slugs before. very unpleasant experience...
#5 Old 10-04-2008, 01:39 AM

Gotta say, the part about public restrooms is just silly:

"Urine is sterile and harmless. I pulled the following quotes from the web:"

Urine on the floor of a bathroom is *not* sterile. And using some random quotes from the web as your backup...please.

That said, I think going barefoot is a neat idea, but I'm not down with some of the barefoot vigilante evangelists I've been encountering recently.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 10-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, the whole urine thing made me laugh. That's a bit extreme. x)
#7 Old 10-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think I would walk down a city street barefoot, but being barefoot is nice in the neighborhood or yard.

And the day I step barefoot into urine is going to be the day I die.
#8 Old 10-04-2008, 09:11 AM

I love going barefoot, I always am at home, in my yard, ect. That said, I would never go to a public store, or walk down a city street or in a public bathroom, or anything similar barefoot.
#9 Old 10-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Beginner

Do you remember Jason Schwartzman in Darjeeling Ltd? BAREFOOT THE WHOLE TIME. I love it. I barely wear shoes here, there's no real need unless I'm at work and I've been barefoot at work when the higher ups weren't looking. Additionally I am the girl who goes to Lanikai juice barefoot.. and the farmers market.. and no one says a thing. I think I went to safeway barefoot once too... I walked home from Rumors barefoot.. and if I am just going to a friends house in the car I just go barefoot. The only place I really HAVE TO wear shoes is to work

and the issue with not using a public restroom barefoot is don't use public restrooms haha. yuk. only in case of emergencies.
#10 Old 10-04-2008, 01:16 PM

Yeah, I never use public bathrooms at all. but I def. wouldnt walk into one barefoot!
#11 Old 10-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Beginner

i barely like putting my booty in the same place as people I actually know.. glad i have 3 bathrooms in my house haha.
#12 Old 10-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I walk barefoot all the time. Usually when i'm out and shoes are boring or bothering me. I walk through cities, villages, forests etc barefoot pretty often. It's great fun and kind of liberating, slipping off your shoes on a busy dirty city street and walking in the rain. My feet get a little dirty but its nothing a shower doesn't fix.
#13 Old 10-04-2008, 04:41 PM

I loved being barefoot as a child, but I've developed neurosis I can't step outside barefoot because all I do is worry about parasites getting in through my skin. Stops me in my tracks. The furthest I've gone outside without shoes as an adult is the top step right out of my door and even that bothered me.

I like wearing slippers or socks when I'm inside, but not shoes, because my feet get cold easily.

Oh but urine on it's own is sterile, don't know about any bacteria from infections or dirt on the floor etc ..
#14 Old 10-05-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post

I loved being barefoot as a child, but I've developed neurosis I can't step outside barefoot because all I do is worry about parasites getting in through my skin. Stops me in my tracks. The furthest I've gone outside without shoes as an adult is the top step right out of my door and even that bothered me.

I like wearing slippers or socks when I'm inside, but not shoes, because my feet get cold easily.

Oh but urine on it's own is sterile, don't know about any bacteria from infections or dirt on the floor etc ..

If it touches your parts on the way out , it's likely not sterile anymore.

Anyway, this is a weird, random tangent. Barefoot can be fun. I love walking barefoot in grass or on sand, in particular. I even walked barefoot on my first date with IS.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#15 Old 10-05-2008, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Too much of an "ick" factor for me to go barefoot, unless it's on a sandy beach! I can't even go into the ocean without going "ewwww".
#16 Old 10-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

love being barefoot, as much as I can manage! I don't go into shops barefoot, cuz a lot of shop owners don't like it. Here in Hawaii, bare feet are pretty common, and it's a common nuisance for shop owners to remind people to put shoes on. I have several regular customers at the coffee shop that need additional reminders.... This is a surf community, so bare feet are just an extension of that.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#17 Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I love being barefoot! As much as I love shoes, I hate wearing them. My tootsies like to wiggle and breathe. I wear shoes/sandals in public, though sometimes kick them off in bars when I'm playing pool. I've never been able to feel comfortable driving w/shoes on, so I always take my right one off, actually the only time I've worn shoes while driving was for my driving tests. I step on more stuff inside than outside (glass, cat vomit...) If I've already showered, before bed I wash my feet, no biggy.
#18 Old 10-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm barefoot every chance I can be. I don't do restrooms, stores or even attempt restaurants but otherwise I'm pretty open to wherever/whenever. The biggest limitation for me is when it's cold. I can't really do it when my feet are cold.
#19 Old 10-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

To be honest, I'm really more of a sock person.
#20 Old 10-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

i go barefoot, except when my parents make me put on shoes to go out shopping for food.

so basically i'm barefoot almost all of the week, minus a few hours 1-2 times a week.
#21 Old 10-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

To be honest, I'm really more of a sock person.

Me too.

Plus I live in the middle of Manhattan. Not very bare foot friendly.
#22 Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

What about when it snows?

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#23 Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Beginner

I'm the exact opposite... I have a weird thing about getting my feet dirty (actually, it's part of my OCD I think... LOL). I don't even walk around inside my house barefoot. I have flip-flops for inside the house, they've never gone outside so I don't track dirt inside. I've even been known to wash my feet in the sink if I've HAD to go barefoot for something for like 2 seconds. I also have a thing about people not touching my feet. Even the fiance knows to never touch my feet. Guess I'm weird.
#24 Old 10-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyazaille View Post

I'm the exact opposite... I have a weird thing about getting my feet dirty (actually, it's part of my OCD I think... LOL). I don't even walk around inside my house barefoot. I have flip-flops for inside the house, they've never gone outside so I don't track dirt inside. I've even been known to wash my feet in the sink if I've HAD to go barefoot for something for like 2 seconds. I also have a thing about people not touching my feet. Even the fiance knows to never touch my feet. Guess I'm weird.

Weird? No way! If it's part of OCD, it's not like some little weird thing; it's something you can't control. Nothing wrong with that.
#25 Old 10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I love going barefoot on the beach, expecially if the sand is hot. it feels so nice. And on nice lawns and carpets. Its good for your feet to breathe too.

I wouldnt walk around in public places (other than beaches) barefoot though. who knows what has been on the ground before, and where other shoes have been? Also it looks wierd. There was this guy at school who would never wear shoes (he was a really, really wierd guy and I think everyone was a bit scared to talk to him). Then they made this school rule "no barefeet in mixed areas (ie. with girls and boys)" It was never published in the school rule handbook, along with the "six inch rule (boys and girls must be 6 inches apart)" and the "no german or russian in mixed areas".

Then he bought these horrid wetsuit shoes with toes that he wore all the time. He was banned from wearing them to lessons, but would wear them all the rest of the time. yuck.
#26 Old 10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm barefoot whenever possible.
#27 Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I love going barefoot, I always am at home, in my yard, ect. That said, I would never go to a public store, or walk down a city street or in a public bathroom, or anything similar barefoot.

me too....but I luv shoes too
#28 Old 10-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Beginner

I hate shoes, period. At work, or using public places (specially restrooms ..... eeeewwwww .... pee on my my feet .... ick), I have no choice. But no shoes at home, or on the beach or my relatives houses.

I used to be barefoot all the time as a kid (yes, even in the snow to get the mail). But the older I get, I started wearing socks more often. I buy a lot of socks. They get stained from walking in the dirt. Or get holes from walking on stone.
#29 Old 10-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's hilarious that some people who love to walk outdoors barefoot think walking in a public bathroom is icky due to possible contact with urine. Have none of you ever noticed the wildlife outdoors? It's not like the government has set up porta-potties for them. They pee and poop EVERYWHERE. You are coming in contact with urine! Is it only human urine that gives you the heebie jeebies? Are you sure no humans have peed outside?

I LOVE to go barefoot and have done so in the house, outside, walking on dirt lanes in the country and city streets in Seoul. My feet happen to be of the washable variety, so as long as it's not too cold (and I am a wimp about the cold) I prefer to be barefoot. If I have to wear shoes, I prefer the kind that do not enclose my toes. I'll wear my ugly Earth sandals in the snow provided it's not too deep and I'm not walking that far. But, I am also the type of person who sees nothing wrong with wearing socks with her ugly Earth sandals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page