Single status affidavit - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I need to get a affidavit stating that i'm free to get married. I just wrote on paper that I am free to marry and a notary stamped and signed it. But I get the feeling that just writing it isn't going to fly. So, could someone tell me how to go about this besides seeing a lawyer. Could I type out something?

Any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I am confused what this would be for?

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#3 Old 09-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm getting married in a few months in Denmark to a EU citizen and I am American, the easiest way to do it is for a marriage company to arrange it and us just to show up. We both need a statement saying that we are single, a passport and a birth certificate. So I need to go to town hall and get a paper saying that I am single or an affidavit but I think the affidavit is easier. But there such a document for this so I need to write it myself or go to town hall and them type out that I haven't applied for a marriage license in the last 10 or 15 years. So my question is, if there are any lawyers here, if me just writing down in my own handwriting that I am free to marry is enough or should I type something out to make it more official looking.
#4 Old 09-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

You should probably see a lawyer in that case. You want to make sure everything is dotted and crossed.
#5 Old 09-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

You should probably see a lawyer in that case. You want to make sure everything is dotted and crossed.

That's what I thought, thanks!
#6 Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 AM

carried, I think you should actually just be able to get something like this from your county/city clerk. It's just something official to say that there's no record of you being married currently.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

carried, I think you should actually just be able to get something like this from your county/city clerk. It's just something official to say that there's no record of you being married currently.

Like the town hall?
#8 Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 AM

Maybe. There should be some sort of clerk (where I grew up in MI, the job was "County Clerk") or "register of deeds" or something like that. It's the office where you'd go to get a marriage license, get a death certificate, etc. I'd bet you could find it if you Google "marriage license" and either your county or city name.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 10-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Banned

Well this might be belated, but surely might help someone on their way to marry outside of the United States. The document known as a Single Status Affidavit is basically a sworn statement that one is free to marry in his or her country. Theres another way to prove that you are single in U.S. Although there is no national database for a record of marriage in the States one can request a state wide search done in the state of ones residence to indicate that there is no record of marriage under ones name. It is best to contact target authorities and verify which document they would prefer.

Now to the Apostille: Apostille in the United States is a separate page affixed to a document in accordance to Hague Convention of 1961 on abolishment of foreign document legalization. Generally speaking it shows to foreign authorities that the document in your possession is authentic and that it is valid in the United States. So, in order for foreign authorities to recognize your document youll need to have an apostille on it.

Also, Im pretty sure that the Affidavit of Single Status is not the only document you will need to marry outside of the United States. It is best to obtain a list of all the documents that you will need to achieve your goal.

This way you ca prepare the entire set of the documents simultaneously instead of doing one document then finding out you need another. Furthermore, if the countrys official language is not English you might want to find out whether or not youll need translations to be made.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page