How does this vacation sound? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-10-2003, 10:30 PM

Although June is quite a ways away, I like to have something big to look forward to, so I'm planning our next road trip. Please tell me what you think and give me any suggestions if you have any for the places we're going!

Our first stop is going to be a 14 hour drive to the Farm Sanctuary in Watkin's Glen, New York. We're going to stay at the bed & breakfast there for two nights, enjoying the farm, exploring the Watkin's Glen State Park and maybe renting a paddleboat on Seneca Lake.

After that, we'll be driving about 8 hours to Schuyler, Virginia to the White Pig Bed & Breakfast where we'll stay another two nights. Not quite sure what we're going to do there. They have some recreation, including kayak rentals and hot air balloon rides.

We've been to Watkin's Glen before but not the White Pig. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do when we're there or any other places to stop on the way, please let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Flower, that sounds like a very cool vaycay! We took a road trip out east a couple years ago to DC and Virginia. I have relatives in Virginia so Ive been there a couple timesbut the only place in New York Ive been is in the city. Where abouts is Schyuler in VA? Im not sure?

Since you've started this Flower I'd like to ask if anyone has been to Yellowstone Park and what you could recommend. We plan to drive there from WI stopping to see Mt. Rushmore on the way.
#3 Old 11-10-2003, 11:08 PM

Ooooo! We didn't go to Yellowstone, but we did stop at Mt. Rushmore a couple years ago on our way to Rocky Mountain National Park. Definitely check out the Badlands- you definitely won't regret it! We might be going to Yellowstone for our road trip in 2005, so you'll have to bring me back some tips.

Schuyler is in central Virginia in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I think it's about a 30 minute drive to Charlottesville from The White Pig.
#4 Old 11-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Watkins Glen is in the heart of the NY Fingerlakes area, and there are tons of great things to do there. I know this since I was raised in Ithaca (on the road that goes from Ithaca to Watkins G) and went to Cornell, in Ithaca.

You definitely want to go to the Ithaca Farmer's Market. I have posted here about that several times, and it is a definite "not to be missed".

http://www.ithacamarket.com/

It is only about 30 minutes from WG. Take rt 79 from WG to Ithaca. Ithaca is a really nice place to visit in and of itself. There is Taughannock Falls,

http://www.taughannock.com/

Cornell University

http://www.cornell.edu/

one of the fun things to do is to go to the cornell orchards, although, if you hit the farmer's market, there will be plenty of apples.

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/departme...rds/sales.html

There is also the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, which offers great trails and lots of birdwatching:

http://birds.cornell.edu/

Ithaca College is also very beautiful:

http://www.ithaca.edu/

If I'm not mistaken, The Farm Sanctuary is actually in the area of Lodi, Pen Yann. Seneca Lake (WG is at the bottom of Seneca Lake) has wonderful wineries up and down both sides (as do most of the Finger Lakes, including Cayuga - Ithaca's lake).

http://www.senecalakewine.com/

http://www.cayugawinetrail.com/

I wouldn't miss doing some wine tastings. Right in Penn Yann is Glenora Winery, which is one of the biggest and the best.

http://www.glenora.com/gazette.asp

I really like Lakewood, which is on Seneca Lake closer to WG.

http://www.lakewoodvineyards.com/

I know a lot more about that area of NY. However, there is something that I believe is simply a MUST for anyone heading through that area. It is one of my favorite places in the world, and it is, basically, right on your way to Virginia. That place is Longwood Gardens, just south of Philadelphia. I can't begin to describe it, it is pure magic. Here is the site:

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/

I really hope that you decide to go there. It is really right on your way, and well worth it.

I hope that this gives you lots of info.
#5 Old 11-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

OK found it on the map, its south/west of Charlottesville, my aunt and uncle live in Stanardsville which is north/west of Charlottesville. The best place to go around there is the mountains...Shenendoah National Park is where we went and it was beautiful! I think we have some digi pics...if so I'll post them.

Hmmm other things to see...we liked Monticello...that is near Charlottseville. The rest of the time we spent in VA was on the ocean...Williamsburg and Jamestown..both very cool.
#6 Old 11-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Beginner

I just got back from the Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, I love it so much! I love the 1000 lb pigs! They were so cute. We stayed at the B&B for 2 nights. The only challenge was no bathroom in the room, but I dealt with it! Anyway the town of Watkins Glen was really nice, we went to the wildflower cafe and they veganised our meals for us. They're are tons of winerys, but didn't stop at any but plan to on our next trip. I heard of the White Pig but never stayed there. I'm sure it's great too!
#7 Old 11-10-2003, 11:55 PM
Banned

slynnny- if you're planning on seeing mut rushmore - you'll be much more impressed with the badlands (as Flower said) and Wind Cave NP is a beautiful place also (heh, hike some of the trails - i built them dammit! ).

also, if you're into the mt rushmore thing - check out Crazy Horse Monument too. not that far a drive away.

flower - sounds like a good trip! i want to go to the white pig! i was checking out their site a few weeks ago and i was drooling...
#8 Old 11-11-2003, 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the great links, Equipro! There are a lot of wineries there, but we didn't go to any last time we were there. The gardens sound like something that would be really good, as does going to Ithaca- I also have heard that there is a great vegan restaurant in Ithaca. Will have to look that up.

Slynny- like Funk said, Crazy Horse is real close to Mt. Rushmore. I was a bit disappointed with it, though. You pay quite a bit to get in & there's not much done on the monument. Mt. Rushmore was free, though. Monticello is something we're thinking about, as is the Shenendoah Park.

Mermaid- did you see Gretchen the pig when you were there? We adopted her this year and I can't wait to visit her! Were the pigs sleeping in the barn when you were there? The pigs were my absolute favorite when we visited.

Funk- doesn't the menu at the White Pig sound amazing? I'll make sure to eat some for you when we're there!
#9 Old 11-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Banned

heh, oh yeah- i got in everywhere free cause i was with the park service and the group paid for everything.

yeah, my friend had sent me the link to the white pig - shes vegan and we were trying to figure out if we could go together some free weekend - the food looks sweeeet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

Thanks for all the great links, Equipro! There are a lot of wineries there, but we didn't go to any last time we were there. The gardens sound like something that would be really good, as does going to Ithaca- I also have heard that there is a great vegan restaurant in Ithaca. Will have to look that up.

Slynny- like Funk said, Crazy Horse is real close to Mt. Rushmore. I was a bit disappointed with it, though. You pay quite a bit to get in & there's not much done on the monument. Mt. Rushmore was free, though. Monticello is something we're thinking about, as is the Shenendoah Park.

Mermaid- did you see Gretchen the pig when you were there? We adopted her this year and I can't wait to visit her! Were the pigs sleeping in the barn when you were there? The pigs were my absolute favorite when we visited.

Funk- doesn't the menu at the White Pig sound amazing? I'll make sure to eat some for you when we're there!

#10 Old 11-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

BTW, I have been to the wineries on both Seneca Lake and Cayuga Lake dozens of times. I'm pretty familiar with them, so if there is something that you like, in particular, I can direct you. Glenora and Lakewood are two good ones though. You'll love it. Glenora has lots of events, too.
#11 Old 11-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Beginner

I'm not sure if I saw Gretchen, yes the pigs were sleeping in the barn and they loved having their tummys rubbed!! I can't wait to go back. But they are closed until May.
#12 Old 11-11-2003, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquiPro View Post

BTW, I have been to the wineries on both Seneca Lake and Cayuga Lake dozens of times. I'm pretty familiar with them, so if there is something that you like, in particular, I can direct you. Glenora and Lakewood are two good ones though. You'll love it. Glenora has lots of events, too.

Well, I'm not a drinker at all. Would touring a winery still be a good thing to do if I couldn't do any tasting? I've never been to one before and remember seeing a *ton* of them when we were there last year. All of the vineyards were so cool!

Man, those gardens are soooo pretty! We'll definitely have to put that on our itinerary.

Funk- let me know if you & your friend get to go to the White Pig. I've heard so many nice comments about it, so I'm sure it would be a nice weekend for you guys!
#13 Old 11-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Beginner

[QUOTE=Flower]Well, I'm not a drinker at all. Would touring a winery still be a good thing to do if I couldn't do any tasting?

I don't think you would enjoy going to a winery if you don't drink, that's pretty much the only thing you would go for.
#14 Old 11-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, the thing is this, the Fingerlake wineries are different from those on the west coast, and, going to a winery like Glenora, might still be fun, I just wouldn't recommend doing the wine trail thing. Glenora has a lot of events that aren't all centered around wine. It's an amazing view, and fun to see at least once. You might even be interested in doing the tour of how the wine is made, if only just once. The smaller wineries (and that's what most of them are) are really just geared to tasting and buying. I would do Glenora, and just see if there was anything else that would interest you about wine making. There are certainly plenty of other things to do.
#15 Old 11-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I decided to paruse Longwood Gardens site again. I've been there in both the winter (amazing - I'll go again this year if we can) and the summer (just as amazing. Mind blowing, actually), but I would love to go there in April when the lilacs are blooming. I can't even imagine it, truthfully.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page