Christmas Lights - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-09-2003, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone really get into Christmas lights...??we usually throw out a good sized display. Attempting to take it to a new level this year...Dropped about $500 on a bunch of new goods, including a computerized utility box, that allows me to control all the lights, has 19 rhythmic patters where the lights, fade and chase, blink all kinds of neat stuff.

Had some jack ass of a neighbor that got in my face at Halloween saying he was going to "give us all we can take"! This puppet came out of his shack today and said "hey, aren't you starting a bit early, this season?" I just shook my head and requested he go fetch me a beer. He popped off, saying he will react with whatever we put out. I'm having some fun with this, I stuck out the usual 2000 lights from last season and won't show my entire hand until we light the day after Thanksgiving. Even with the challenge, its all for my wife and child, who really enjoy Christmas lights. Although, I can't wait to fire this sh$t up and blind the arrogant little pr$ck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

HAHA!! All I can think of is national lampoons Christmas Vacation. Post pictures!!
#3 Old 11-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I love Christmas lights! I totally appreciate people like you.

On my birthday every year I go out to the rich neighborhoods and check out the excessive displays... Someday I'll own a house and get to quadruple my electric bill, too.
#4 Old 11-10-2003, 12:17 AM
Administrator

I'll probably just hang a strand around the patio door. Which is more than I've ever done before.

I too was having Christmas Vacation flashbacks.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 11-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL, I actually reflected back to that movie today, when I took the lights out of the attic, I had one ball, it was a huge ball of about 1000 lights. It took me the entire Chiefs game (roughly 3 hrs) to get the entire mess untangled. I usually wrap the strands around pieces of cardboard, but it must have been either really cold or I was extremely lazy when I put em away last year. I just kept thinking of Chevy. We usually watch the movie every Holiday Season.
#6 Old 11-10-2003, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL so do we. Actually my friends and I watched it last night. The VHS was $5 at wally world.
#7 Old 11-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I like it when other people do big fancy displays, but I have never done much more than a few strings of mini-lights and a wreath. My dad used to go all-out. He'd have something new every year. He was projecting images on the front of the house in the 60s, way before they had projection kits -- Dad cut his own out of sheet metal and rigged them with spotlights. The one I remember best was a beautiful stylized dove of peace.

This year I want my 50s aluminum tree in the front window where it can be seen from the road, not that many people drive by since it's a dead-end... position it so that the color wheel shines through the tree onto the windows, and use filmy white sheers to make it seem all nostalgic. And if I get ambitious, I'll get some old-style lights for the house, and maybe some greenery. I would like to make a pretty display this year.

There is something really beautiful about creating displays of lights at the darkest time of year. That's what I really love about Christmas lights. I think of them as almost a pagan expression, like lighting bonfires to light the night. I like the garish, gaudy displays as much as the tasteful, restrained ones -- maybe more -- and I love what my town does with the town square. They hang hundreds of strings from the courthouse in the square to the buildings all around, and fill the trees with fairy lights. The lights are all reflected in the shop windows. It's almost like day. Beautiful.
#8 Old 11-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

This will be my first year in my new house so I image I'll have the National Lampoon's type house. Knowing me though.. I'll probably take a header off the roof.
#9 Old 11-10-2003, 02:13 PM

As long as none of you electrocute the cat!
#10 Old 11-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

As long as none of you electrocute the cat!

That is exactly why I have never watched that movie.
#11 Old 11-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Administrator

I think I might hang mine tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 11-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate it when people leave their lights up for months after the Christmas season. It's so tacky.
#13 Old 11-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Administrator

But months before is ok.

#14 Old 11-10-2003, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I think I might hang mine tonight.

Err...you're talking about Christmas lights, not your cat, aren't you?
#15 Old 11-10-2003, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

That is exactly why I have never watched that movie.

I know; I saw that scene once, and never want to see it again.
#16 Old 11-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

But months before is ok.

One month before is okay.
#17 Old 11-10-2003, 07:27 PM

Please, people, wait until the day after Thanksgiving!!!!
#18 Old 11-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Tonight baby!

#19 Old 11-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I hate it when people leave their lights up for months after the Christmas season. It's so tacky.

my daughter and i have always thought there should be a christmas that should go around and suspened christmas light privileges for those that do not have thier lights down by 1/15
#20 Old 11-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Gonna hang them before I go get food so I can see them when I come back! I hope they're not defective...

#21 Old 11-11-2003, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiemac View Post

my daughter and i have always thought there should be a christmas that should go around and suspened christmas light privileges for those that do not have thier lights down by 1/15

In my neck 'o the woods people actually l;eave them up all*gasp* year!!!!
#22 Old 11-11-2003, 01:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

Please, people, wait until the day after Thanksgiving!!!!

Well, I always get to things early. I enjoy putting up the lights on a day of my choosing when the weather is warm and the wind is light. Now, even though I have them up plenty early, I won't dare fire em until the day after Thanksgiving. In the meantime, as the weather grows colder, I'll stoke a fire, watch from the front window in my thong, as the neighbors struggle to hang lights in the freeeezzzziiinnnnggg cold.....ahhhhhh
#23 Old 11-11-2003, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

A thong?

*tries to get that image out of my head*
#24 Old 11-11-2003, 01:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Last Christmas, Jerry and I hung white icicle lights around the roof of the deck on our apartment. They were pretty. I also had a wreath on the door that my mom decorated for me (she does floral arrangements with synthetic floral pieces), and I had a snowman doormat outside my door.

I'm too short to hang lights or take them down, and Jerry ended up being too busy to take them down for awhile...they were still up when we broke up and he moved out. I tried getting a stepstool to climb up and take them down myself, but even with a tall stool, it was too awkward. I ended up having to pay a guy from work $20 to come take them down, and it was June.

I have some pretty Christmas decorations, all with an ice blue, white, and silver theme. Lots of snowmen, too. (I collect snowpeople.) I have them all in storage, now, 'cause I don't have anywhere to put them here at my parents' house.

Ah well. When I get my own place again, I'll be all set with lots of lovely decor.

I like to go to the "swanky" part of town and see all the lights. ^^

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#25 Old 11-11-2003, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

San Diego

The owners of houses with Christmas lights on them past February second may be fined up to $250.

That is from dumblaws.com
#26 Old 11-11-2003, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningStarr View Post

San Diego

The owners of houses with Christmas lights on them past February second may be fined up to $250.

That is from dumblaws.com

i like that law!
#27 Old 11-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I was doing some temping work at an electricity company a few years back. I got a call from someone complaining about their bill, the conversation went something like this:

Customer: I don't understand, last quarter my bill was £50 and this time its £300.

Me: Have you changed anything or added any electrical appliances or heaters recently.

Customer: Not really but we did have a whole load of those outside christmas lights on in the front garden all through December... it looked really nice.

Me: Reeeealy
#28 Old 11-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I love to go around looking at the lights. But I too get anoyed at folks who leave them up all year.

If yo have a huge display, I can see starting to hang them after halloween, but I think there should be a law banning lighting them till after Thanksgiving. All the stores are already filled with Christmas stuff and it bugs me to no end.

KC: Post pics of your decs when you get them done!!!
#29 Old 11-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I always get sick of Christmas before it even begins.
#30 Old 11-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I get to experience pre-Christmas in Spain, but I then get my good ol American Christmas at home.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page