Entry into Denmark or Austria - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know about the process for entry into Denmark or Austria? I've read that all you need is a return ticket for a month from the time that you get there and a US passport and thats it. But is it really that easy? I was denied entry into the UK last week and was sent back even though I had all sorts of papers to show that I only wanted to stay a month and also that I had plenty of money. But I think I was overly prepared and more than that i'm a woman traveling alone and they don't like that. Does anyone know if I could run into this problem in Denmark or Austria, i'm only staying long enough to get married unless we wanted to stay longer. Any help or suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

As a US citizen with a valid passport you should be able to enter without a visa and stay up to three months actually.

Austrian Embassy in the US

Embassy of Denmark in the US

Women traveling alone are not at all unusual in either of these countries (or the UK), so that shouldnt be a problem. Not sure how traveling alone is compatible with getting married there though. And to get married in a foreign country, you usually have to present more papers than just a passport.
#3 Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

sorry, I can't be any more help than Quinoa already has been, but I'm really curious: why did you get turned away from the UK? that sucks
#4 Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 AM

Yeah. You shouldnt've be turned away at the UK crossing either, if you had a ticket.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 09-04-2008, 03:07 AM
Banned

What country's passport are you travelling on?
#6 Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a US passport, I told them that I was just visiting first because I didn't want my boyfriend/fiance to get involved because its a complicated situation. We've never met and they may not like it so i fibbed the truth a bit. But I had all sorts of paperwork but the officer seemed to be suspcious from the time she saw me. It was at heathrow, and it was pretty quiet that day, i'm thinking that they probably just needed something to do. There was another girl there to see her boyfriend that visited last year for 6 months and she got in just fine but this time she wanted to stay for 5 months and they flipped out about it. So she was sent back also and a guy from Sri Lanka was detained too but he got in after 8 hours there.
#7 Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Banned

What was the stated reason you were denied entry?
#8 Old 09-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't have a good reason and they were suspcious.
#9 Old 09-05-2008, 12:54 AM
Banned

Thats not a valid reason. People wander over here as a tourist by the thousands everysingle day. You are not telling us everything.

The most common reason that I've heard about for refusal of entry is money. If you have a pocket full of cash and no credit cards or travellers cheques or ATM cards then you will be considered a risk of staying as an illegal worker.

But to answer your question, EU immigration controls are becoming more and more harmonized throughout EU countries. The rules for refusal of entry are pretty much the same in all EU countries.
#10 Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I am telling you everything, thats what it says on the papers. I was detained because I didn't have reliable information to decide whether I should be able to stay or not. They never did actually tell me why I was sent back but I have nothing to hide, I had a bank statement, cash and my credit cards and my debit card. I had a roundtrip ticket and a copy of my reservations at 2 hotels. 2 weeks at one hotel in London and 2 weeks at another in the country. I have no idea why I was even stopped, maybe I looked scared like I was hiding something. They told me that since I lied that its enough to send me back just for that, but even if i'd told the truth I have a feeling that they would have still done it. It was very slow that day and they had nothing else to do.
#11 Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned

yeah, if you lied, they really don't like that. i think things like not having enough ties to your home country (a job, family, home, etc) can be a hinderance too. i entered canada once on a 6 month holiday 'to visit my boyfriend' (i never actually left, but i came in saying that i intended to) and the immigration official wanted to hear that i had a job back home, close family back there, was paying rent there, etc. its got to be convincing that you're actually only visiting, with the intent of leaving again. if you don't seem to have much by way of ties to go back home to, it sets off warning bells.
#12 Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 PM

How did it come up that you were visiting your boyfriend? If that's the only reason you were turned away (they should have given you some "official" reason), then it shouldn't be an issue in the other countries, because your boyfriend (did you say fiancee?) doesn't live there.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#13 Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom told them, I think they called her or the other way around after I hadn't called to tell her that I made it OK. Actually she had to have called them because I didn't give out her phone number. So then I had to tell them, she was worried that he kidnapped me or something, she always thinks the worst of all situations. Anyway its probably why, but I don't know why they even stopped me to begin with. I couldn't login to my school's website to copy my school schedule and check stubs to show them.

Technically he's my fiancee since we're getting married but we say we're boyfriend and girlfriend. I like fiancee better.
#14 Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Well, getting married to someone you've never met is a whole other thread, I'd say.

Do you mean that your mom called the Border Agency? I didn't even know you could do that.

#15 Old 09-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess it is but we've known each other for 5 years and have talked everyday for hours. We aren't getting married the same day or anything, but the plan is marriage

I don't know what my mom did exactly but I know that she called and told them everything because she was afraid and didn't want me to go. But from what the officer said I was going to get sent back anyway so she was just the final nail in the board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page