Religion? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Beginner

Do you consider yourself a religious person?

It has been suggested to me that veg*ns are "liberals" and "atheists". I don't believe what I choose to eat has anything to do with my religious beliefs (I do have a Muslim friend who eats Halaal meat for religious reasons, but personally I don't base my eating habits on my religion). Of course, my religion shaped my core morals. Many people seem surprised to find that I am both a vegan and a christian. Have you had similar experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I rate God/Jesus but am not a fan of organised religion [I like certain parts of religions but overall the concept bothers me]. I'm more interested in the spiritual side of things, do unto others, show respect etc. Just trying to be a half-decent person I guess, doing what feels comfortable and right for me. Same as any of us I guess.
#3 Old 08-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'm vegan, and atheist. Atheism came first.... I don't think they're necessarily related, except that perhaps the concept of humans not having a divine status is found in both beliefs -for me.
#4 Old 08-02-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Many people seem surprised to find that I am both a vegan and a christian.

Isn't there some passage that can be interpreted as "god put animals on earth for human consumption"? Maybe thats partly why people are surprised.
#5 Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's because veganism is considered 'left' wing, and christianity 'right' wing. People can't seem to get that beliefs don't necessarily come in a combo package - buy one, buy all.
#6 Old 08-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I think there are two directions in Christianity, in relation to animal issues: on the one hand, a general ethic of compassion, stewardship, etc. that can cover other species as well, and on the other, a view about a predetermined "order" where humans are at the top and other species at their mercy.

And likewise, an agnostic/atheist worldview can either be materialistic in the pejorative sense -- not giving any room for ideals of compassion or justice -- or then it can free us from the illusion that there are external norms ("meant to eat meat", "animals exist for us", "it's natural to eat meat") that restrict our choices, and allow us to shape our ethics in a more rational and honest way.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 08-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

In my case the stereotype is true, I'm very liberal and an atheist.
#8 Old 08-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm religious-curious and vegan. *shrug* God's pretty nifty, in all His forms (I'm 'into' a good few religions) I don't see any of the Gods I'm learning about, including the Christian God, or his son, taking personal offence to compassion.
#9 Old 08-02-2008, 01:34 PM

I am a vegetarian and a follower of Christ. I agree with the earlier post that sometimes folks see this as a contradiction, but I am certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that the way we treat animals - especially farm animals - is in direct contradiction to the will of God for His creation and I cannot be part of that.

The book Dominion by Matthew Scully was the eye-opener for me.
#10 Old 08-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I'm very liberal, but I wouldn't tie myself to any religion, although I guess the closest would be Catholic. I don't follow the bible, I'd consider myself more spiritual than anything. I'm open to all religions and they fascinate me. I just believe in living the best life you can and as compassionately as possible, and causing the least harm possible to the world around us. I find a lot of religions very strict and judgemental, and that has turned me off of following any specific denomination. I don't believe anyone is more right than the next person, but I do think that faith is an important thing to follow. I think that as long as you are living a good life and doing your best to help others, then that's the right path.
#11 Old 08-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a Christian Vegetarian Association so it can't be that uncommon. I'm Christian and think stewards of animals and earth were what we were originally created to be, but not what we have to be (there's a lot of dietary laws which allow for meat eating). It isn't the main reason for my vegetariansm and push to be more green, but it does support it.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#12 Old 08-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

Well, I'm vegan, and atheist. Atheism came first....

Me too.
#13 Old 08-02-2008, 01:57 PM

I'm atheist.
#14 Old 08-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I consider myself to be a religious person but I don't relate my strict vegetarianism to my religion.
#15 Old 08-02-2008, 04:20 PM

I'm a Pastafarian.
#16 Old 08-02-2008, 11:35 PM

I'm not really religious. I am Christian (Anglican). I don't go to church or anything like that.
#17 Old 08-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I was raised a Christian and have been in church always. Having said that,now that I've lived a while and have been through some hard times the only thing I can honestly say that I know for sure is that I DON'T know ! I used to think I had God all figured out and had Him neatly stored away in His box,but I realize that we mere mortals can't even begin to understand who He is and how many facets He has. I grew up hearing "God does this and God does that,and He's like this, and we have to do this and that",but found that to be mans' interpretation of the infinite,because that formula does not always work! So.. I guess you could say that I'm a Christian who has issues with organized religion's interpretation of God; especially when some act as though He's some sort of celestial bell hop.
#18 Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan, Christian (I guess; I don't go to church and I've never read the bible...), and I'm not a liberal. I don't believe religion, political views, and veganism are necessarily related.
#19 Old 08-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Ankle Biter

I'm not particularly religious, but I've always been somewhat attracted to the idea of belonging to a church. I joined a UU church a few years back, and I enjoyed the members and the services. But it's quite far from where I live, so I never felt as physically connected as I had hoped. Since I am politically and philosophically liberal, I don't think I would fit in very well to most of the main-stream or independant Christian denominations around here.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#20 Old 08-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Beginner

I'm an agnostic although it has nothing to do with choosing to be vegan. I've been brought up in a very realist type of family.
#21 Old 08-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by psala View Post

Isn't there some passage that can be interpreted as "god put animals on earth for human consumption"? Maybe thats partly why people are surprised.

In the Old Testament there's animal sacrifice and such - before Christ was made a sacrifice on the cross for human sin. In the New Testament - after Christ's sacrifice paid our ransom once and for all - one of Christ's disciples had a vision of a sheet full of animals that were thought of as "unclean" to eat. In the vision God said that it was okay to eat them. Later on there are numerous passages along the lines of, "if one man's conscience leads him to eat only vegetables while another man wants to eat meat, they shouldn't judge eachother. Every man should eat what he deems appropriate before God." (If anyone would like me to find specific verses I can.)

I don't think God cares about what I eat as long as my motives are that of compassion and stewardship of animals. To that effect, if a meat-eater was truely ignorant to the horrors of slaughterhouses I can't judge them for eating meat. While I choose not to because of what I know (and because I find the idea of eating flesh equatable to canibalism) we will all be accountable for our actions and their repercussions by Him in the end.
#22 Old 08-03-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_wheat View Post

I don't think God cares about what I eat as long as my motives are that of compassion and stewardship of animals. To that effect, if a meat-eater was truely ignorant to the horrors of slaughterhouses I can't judge them for eating meat. While I choose not to because of what I know (and because I find the idea of eating flesh equatable to canibalism) we will all be accountable for our actions and their repercussions by Him in the end.

I'm vegetarian and Christian too, and I totally agree with you.

=]
#23 Old 08-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I can go ahead and join the masses of vegan atheists.
#24 Old 08-03-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

Christian (I guess; I don't go to church and I've never read the bible...)

I don't go to church either.

I don't feel like I have to go to church to maintain a relationship with God.
#25 Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm agnostic and vegitarian although brought up christian, religion interests me , mostly the reasons people believe what they believe.

I don't see much compassion for animals and creatures in Gods design.
#26 Old 08-04-2008, 04:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'll be the first to say it...I'm not religious, I am *Spiritual*.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#27 Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...ont-belong-to/

This site is all pretty funny, actually- especially the newer posts.
#28 Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

i'm veg*n and have a thing for recovering Catholic boys.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#29 Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a very spritual person but would not call myself religous. I'm not really into the whole organized religon thing but my vegetarianism does have a lot to do with my spiritual beliefs. Peace & Love!!
#30 Old 08-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Beginner

I went vegetarian when I was young, before I had even heard the word or knew anything about it, because I always felt the pull on my spirit to do so. I believe God set me aside for this. My veganism is definitely related to my Christianity because I want to be as pure as possible for my Lord. He called me to be a vegetarian and I have chosen to continue all the way to fruitarian, the way He originally designed us. It's my gift to my Lord. So, yes, I am a Christian vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page