Anyone know what this car is? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I keep seeing this car around my apartment and can't figure out what it is other than it's not a smart car. Anyone have a clue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

My first Honda!

An old clown car unloaded by Ringling Bros.

The car that will take GW Bush to the airport after he leaves the White House next January.

The parade car for the "Vegan for Health Only" contingent at the next San Francisco Veg Fest.

My next Honda!

The next generation of Switzerland's police vehicles.

That's not a car; that's a Schwinn bicycle on steroids.

A cat carrier for Maine Coons.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I figured it out, it's a chrysler gem.
#4 Old 07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Amys answers better!
#5 Old 07-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a death trap.
#6 Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooooh i've never seen one of those! Can't believe any one would ever mistake it for a smart car though. Everyone knows smarts are far superior to anything else, they're impossible to mistake just because they are the greatest car to ever grace the planet*

*Is an ever so slightly obsessed smart owner so may be a tiny bit bias.
#7 Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Ooooh i've never seen one of those! Can't believe any one would ever mistake it for a smart car though. Everyone knows smarts are far superior to anything else, they're impossible to mistake just because they are the greatest car to ever grace the planet*

*Is an ever so slightly obsessed smart owner so may be a tiny bit bias.

I thought it was smart car for months but I never saw a pic of a real smart car, just heard about them.
#8 Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen those too. It reminds me Urkels car from Family Matters. Anyone remember that show? It was on TGIF back in the day!!
#9 Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

I thought it was smart car for months but I never saw a pic of a real smart car, just heard about them.

WHAT?! where do you live?! I know they weren't really available in the U.S until recently and unfortunately you got the ugly new version compared to the pretty older model. But i thought there would be a fair few about, i thought mercedes did a lot of advertising on their "release" over there. Maybe not.

They are amazing little cars though, i'm constantly surprised by mine. It'll do 90mph without an issue ( should be way over 100mph when i get it remapped woo!), it's tiny and fits wherever i want it, looks amazing and makes me the member of an exclusive club, plus next to no road tax and minimal petrol usage makes me love it more. Everyone should own one.
#10 Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

if a vw bug and a golf cart had a baby...
#11 Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

WHAT?! where do you live?! I know they weren't really available in the U.S until recently and unfortunately you got the ugly new version compared to the pretty older model. But i thought there would be a fair few about, i thought mercedes did a lot of advertising on their "release" over there. Maybe not.

They are amazing little cars though, i'm constantly surprised by mine. It'll do 90mph without an issue ( should be way over 100mph when i get it remapped woo!), it's tiny and fits wherever i want it, looks amazing and makes me the member of an exclusive club, plus next to no road tax and minimal petrol usage makes me love it more. Everyone should own one.

Are they expensive?
#12 Old 07-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Are they expensive?

About £6500 new for the basic model goes up to about £11000 i think. Second hand they're a lot cheaper(anything from £1500 but post 2002 is better so usually about £2500), but they tend to keep their value pretty well.
#13 Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

They're adorable!!! I want one!
#14 Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I just saw a smart car in my town! At least it sure looked like one....

Surprising in a sense.
#15 Old 07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

That's MY car If you look really closely, you can see my face through the front window.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#16 Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

looks like a piece of crap.

here's a consumer review:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gem.html

I'd rather have a Smart Car any day...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#17 Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Is that a car? Technically, isn't it registered as a motorcycle?

I may be thinking of the Zap Zebra Sedan

http://www.zapworld.com/

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#18 Old 07-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

i see tons of smart cars around here. they're awesome if you never plan on having more than 2 people or 2 bags of groceries in it

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#19 Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen a Smart Car IRL. I don't think they would go over well here (this is still Monster Truck Land).

Nec Aspera Terrent
#20 Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

i see tons of smart cars around here. they're awesome if you never plan on having more than 2 people or 2 bags of groceries in it

2 people yes, but 2 bags of groceries?! Have you ever seen one? You can fit WAY more than that in one. I've fitted an ironing board and a weeks shopping in without any issues. Apparently in the newer more spacious ones you can fit a washing machine in the back. They're not as small as you may think they are. 2 people is never really an issue either, unless you have a family you drive around constantly. How many people do you know that ever travel with more than one passenger? Just look at the other cars in every traffic jam in rush hour 90% of them contain one person.
#21 Old 07-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen one of those around here. I thought they were electric?
#22 Old 07-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen ONE smart car in person before (an actual smart car). It was driving through an intersection perpendicular to my direction. I was stunned to see one, and I just kept my eyes on it until it passed out of view.
#23 Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Vegan View Post

I've seen ONE smart car in person before (an actual smart car). It was driving through an intersection perpendicular to my direction. I was stunned to see one, and I just kept my eyes on it until it passed out of view.

I'd be stunned too if I saw a car travelling perpendicularly! (A VTOL car! - I'd like to see that!)
#24 Old 07-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

A cat carrier for Maine Coons.

+1

YES!!!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#25 Old 07-26-2008, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

2 people yes, but 2 bags of groceries?! Have you ever seen one? You can fit WAY more than that in one. I've fitted an ironing board and a weeks shopping in without any issues. Apparently in the newer more spacious ones you can fit a washing machine in the back. They're not as small as you may think they are. 2 people is never really an issue either, unless you have a family you drive around constantly. How many people do you know that ever travel with more than one passenger? Just look at the other cars in every traffic jam in rush hour 90% of them contain one person.

I agree. My hubby used to drive one and time and again, we'd buy a cartful of stuff. I'd dare him to fit everything in the car and lose the dare every time. It feels really normal from inside, but when you look from outside, it seems like a toy, like one of those big plastic cars that toddlers ride around in.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#26 Old 07-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

I agree. My hubby used to drive one and time and again, we'd buy a cartful of stuff. I'd dare him to fit everything in the car and lose the dare every time. It feels really normal from inside, but when you look from outside, it seems like a toy, like one of those big plastic cars that toddlers ride around in.

LOL!! yes! As much as I love my car to death, every time I drive it iI feel like I'm driving one of these .
#27 Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

LOL!! yes! As much as I love my car to death, every time I drive it iI feel like I'm driving one of these .

That's the one! The design inspiration for the Smart.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#28 Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

That's the one! The design inspiration for the Smart.

Yes, i almost feel i should be slipping my feet out of the bottom and pushing my car along in a flinstones kind of style. Though when i was little i always wanted one of those cars and now i'm too big, so now i just have to settle for a smart, oh well there are worse things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page