Anyone know what this car is? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
I keep seeing this car around my apartment and can't figure out what it is other than it's not a smart car. Anyone have a clue?

gillibean is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
My first Honda!



An old clown car unloaded by Ringling Bros.



The car that will take GW Bush to the airport after he leaves the White House next January.



The parade car for the "Vegan for Health Only" contingent at the next San Francisco Veg Fest.



My next Honda!



The next generation of Switzerland's police vehicles.



That's not a car; that's a Schwinn bicycle on steroids.



A cat carrier for Maine Coons.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#3 Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
I figured it out, it's a chrysler gem.
gillibean is offline  
#4 Old 07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
PlaybackGuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,085
I like Amys answers better!
PlaybackGuru is offline  
#5 Old 07-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,153
It's a death trap.
Marie is offline  
#6 Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vheogl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,188
Ooooh i've never seen one of those! Can't believe any one would ever mistake it for a smart car though. Everyone knows smarts are far superior to anything else, they're impossible to mistake just because they are the greatest car to ever grace the planet*





*Is an ever so slightly obsessed smart owner so may be a tiny bit bias.
vheogl is offline  
#7 Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Ooooh i've never seen one of those! Can't believe any one would ever mistake it for a smart car though. Everyone knows smarts are far superior to anything else, they're impossible to mistake just because they are the greatest car to ever grace the planet*





*Is an ever so slightly obsessed smart owner so may be a tiny bit bias.



I thought it was smart car for months but I never saw a pic of a real smart car, just heard about them.
gillibean is offline  
#8 Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Nickle00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,255
I've seen those too. It reminds me Urkels car from Family Matters. Anyone remember that show? It was on TGIF back in the day!!
Nickle00 is offline  
#9 Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vheogl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

I thought it was smart car for months but I never saw a pic of a real smart car, just heard about them.



WHAT?! where do you live?! I know they weren't really available in the U.S until recently and unfortunately you got the ugly new version compared to the pretty older model. But i thought there would be a fair few about, i thought mercedes did a lot of advertising on their "release" over there. Maybe not.



They are amazing little cars though, i'm constantly surprised by mine. It'll do 90mph without an issue ( should be way over 100mph when i get it remapped woo!), it's tiny and fits wherever i want it, looks amazing and makes me the member of an exclusive club, plus next to no road tax and minimal petrol usage makes me love it more. Everyone should own one.
vheogl is offline  
#10 Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,489
if a vw bug and a golf cart had a baby...
jenna is offline  
#11 Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Nickle00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

WHAT?! where do you live?! I know they weren't really available in the U.S until recently and unfortunately you got the ugly new version compared to the pretty older model. But i thought there would be a fair few about, i thought mercedes did a lot of advertising on their "release" over there. Maybe not.



They are amazing little cars though, i'm constantly surprised by mine. It'll do 90mph without an issue ( should be way over 100mph when i get it remapped woo!), it's tiny and fits wherever i want it, looks amazing and makes me the member of an exclusive club, plus next to no road tax and minimal petrol usage makes me love it more. Everyone should own one.



Are they expensive?
Nickle00 is offline  
#12 Old 07-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vheogl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Are they expensive?



About £6500 new for the basic model goes up to about £11000 i think. Second hand they're a lot cheaper(anything from £1500 but post 2002 is better so usually about £2500), but they tend to keep their value pretty well.
vheogl is offline  
#13 Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
NoMeatMary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 363
They're adorable!!! I want one!
NoMeatMary is offline  
#14 Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
JLRodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,819
I just saw a smart car in my town! At least it sure looked like one....



Surprising in a sense.
JLRodgers is offline  
#15 Old 07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
That's MY car If you look really closely, you can see my face through the front window.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#16 Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
WonderRandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,591
looks like a piece of crap.



here's a consumer review:



http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gem.html





I'd rather have a Smart Car any day...

Nec Aspera Terrent
WonderRandy is offline  
#17 Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 964
Is that a car? Technically, isn't it registered as a motorcycle?



I may be thinking of the Zap Zebra Sedan

http://www.zapworld.com/

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
Calhoun07 is offline  
#18 Old 07-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
LadyFaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 7,691
i see tons of smart cars around here. they're awesome if you never plan on having more than 2 people or 2 bags of groceries in it

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
LadyFaile is offline  
#19 Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
WonderRandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,591
I've never seen a Smart Car IRL. I don't think they would go over well here (this is still Monster Truck Land).

Nec Aspera Terrent
WonderRandy is offline  
#20 Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vheogl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

i see tons of smart cars around here. they're awesome if you never plan on having more than 2 people or 2 bags of groceries in it



2 people yes, but 2 bags of groceries?! Have you ever seen one? You can fit WAY more than that in one. I've fitted an ironing board and a weeks shopping in without any issues. Apparently in the newer more spacious ones you can fit a washing machine in the back. They're not as small as you may think they are. 2 people is never really an issue either, unless you have a family you drive around constantly. How many people do you know that ever travel with more than one passenger? Just look at the other cars in every traffic jam in rush hour 90% of them contain one person.
vheogl is offline  
#21 Old 07-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
cstadt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,992
I've seen one of those around here. I thought they were electric?
cstadt is offline  
#22 Old 07-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Mr_Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 306
I've seen ONE smart car in person before (an actual smart car). It was driving through an intersection perpendicular to my direction. I was stunned to see one, and I just kept my eyes on it until it passed out of view.
Mr_Vegan is offline  
#23 Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Bof
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Vegan View Post

I've seen ONE smart car in person before (an actual smart car). It was driving through an intersection perpendicular to my direction. I was stunned to see one, and I just kept my eyes on it until it passed out of view.



I'd be stunned too if I saw a car travelling perpendicularly! (A VTOL car! - I'd like to see that!)
Bof is offline  
#24 Old 07-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Scorpius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pluto (the planet)
Posts: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

....

A cat carrier for Maine Coons.



+1





YES!!!





"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"


www.animal-adoptions.org

Scorpius is offline  
#25 Old 07-26-2008, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Veggily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

2 people yes, but 2 bags of groceries?! Have you ever seen one? You can fit WAY more than that in one. I've fitted an ironing board and a weeks shopping in without any issues. Apparently in the newer more spacious ones you can fit a washing machine in the back. They're not as small as you may think they are. 2 people is never really an issue either, unless you have a family you drive around constantly. How many people do you know that ever travel with more than one passenger? Just look at the other cars in every traffic jam in rush hour 90% of them contain one person.



I agree. My hubby used to drive one and time and again, we'd buy a cartful of stuff. I'd dare him to fit everything in the car and lose the dare every time. It feels really normal from inside, but when you look from outside, it seems like a toy, like one of those big plastic cars that toddlers ride around in.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
Veggily is offline  
#26 Old 07-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vheogl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

I agree. My hubby used to drive one and time and again, we'd buy a cartful of stuff. I'd dare him to fit everything in the car and lose the dare every time. It feels really normal from inside, but when you look from outside, it seems like a toy, like one of those big plastic cars that toddlers ride around in.



LOL!! yes! As much as I love my car to death, every time I drive it iI feel like I'm driving one of these .
vheogl is offline  
#27 Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Veggily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

LOL!! yes! As much as I love my car to death, every time I drive it iI feel like I'm driving one of these .

That's the one! The design inspiration for the Smart.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
Veggily is offline  
#28 Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
vheogl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

That's the one! The design inspiration for the Smart.



Yes, i almost feel i should be slipping my feet out of the bottom and pushing my car along in a flinstones kind of style. Though when i was little i always wanted one of those cars and now i'm too big, so now i just have to settle for a smart, oh well there are worse things.
vheogl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off