Your pants can't hang low - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
LYNWOOD, Ill. - Be careful if you have saggy pants in the south Chicago suburb of Lynwood. Village leaders have passed an ordinance that would levy $25 fines against anyone showing three inches or more of their underwear in public. Eugene Williams is the mayor of Lynwood. He says young men walk around town half-dressed, keeping major retailers and economic development away. He calls the new law a hot topic. The American Civil Liberties Union says the ordinance targets young men of color.

uhm, yeah it does.

but then again, if malcom x walked down the street these days, he would flip a ***** at all of the young, black, males.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

If they are gonna do this, I would like them to add to it the chicks that have their thongy asscheeks hanging out as well. I mean, there are undie slipups and then there are just plain blatant atrocities. Yikes.
#3 Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

um... almost all of all the kids with their butts hanging out round here are skinny white boys with skateboards tucked under one arm- and its really multicultural where i live.

i don't mind it. gives me something to laugh at when they try and run across the street, with the groins of their pants at knee height. my bf however repeatedly resists the urge to wind down his window and yell at them to hoist their pants up, and thinks they wear them so loose cos they're trying to erm... make the covered area look bigger than it really is.

i also think it'd be fair to apply this to girls in thong too- but maybe they're not such an eyesore to the guys making the laws?
#4 Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Eh, fine with me. As someone said on another forum the only good thing about this "style" is that it lets you know who to stay away from. That and baggy pants coupled with unlaced shoes make it easier for law enforcement to catch criminals.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 07-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

<--never understood the appeal of this look. I can't see how it would be comfortable at all!!

Though.. I don't think that the law should get involved. As long as everything is covered it's none of their biz who wears what, and how!
#6 Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Trust me the ACLU is way off the mark with this one. It targets lazy asses who can't afford a belt! Locally in Michigan they are going through the same thing. I'm all for a ban. I hate looking at random dudes asses!
#7 Old 07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Less belts = less leather. Maybe we should be pro droopy pants.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont' think they're targeting young, black males at all. It sounds to me like they're targeting people who wear their pants around their damn ankles with their undies hanging out!!
#9 Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Eh, fine with me. As someone said on another forum the only good thing about this "style" is that it lets you know who to stay away from. That and baggy pants coupled with unlaced shoes make it easier for law enforcement to catch criminals.

I don't think the way a person dresses has anything to do with them being a criminal and I would hate for anyone to judge me based on my clothing or to stay away from me because of that.
#10 Old 07-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Trust me the ACLU is way off the mark with this one. It targets lazy asses who can't afford a belt! Locally in Michigan they are going through the same thing. I'm all for a ban. I hate looking at random dudes asses!

I was just about to post that it's happening in Flint, Michigan, too. http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...807220373/1008

*this space not for sale*
#11 Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Lynwood isn't too far from where I live, it's young men of all races who chose this style. When I tell the ones I work with that I don't want to see their panties, they complain that they can't buy pants that fit to stay up or it's uncomfortable. At least they tend to wear interesting prints on their boxers and it's not tighty whites or (gasp) thongs that they're wearing. I've seen guy's that have to hold their pants up with their hands or can see between their legs over the waist band (and that was in winter, don't the "boys" get cold?!?!?)
#12 Old 07-22-2008, 03:26 PM
DNK
Veggie Regular

I'm against it. As stupid as the style looks, everyone has a right to be stupid in other people's eyes. I suppose we should start outlawing tattoos, piercings, and red colored jackets too because some people are offended or think they look silly?

It's a cultural issue, and cultural issues shouldn't be legislated against. I hope the ACLU sues the city and wins. Some of the things that are passed around here are flat out ridiculous.
#13 Old 07-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

I don't think the way a person dresses has anything to do with them being a criminal and I would hate for anyone to judge me based on my clothing or to stay away from me because of that.

i try not to pre-judge, but dressing in certain ways can further a criminal career. baggy pants and loose long sleeves are really great for scooping stuff off a shelf in a store, and hiding them in. i've watched people steal assorted things like this- bike seatposts, baseball bats, tools, liquor bottles, all sorts. obviously its easier to conceal a gun in baggy pants and oversized shirts than in skinny jeans and a tanktop. baseball caps and hoodies are great for covering your face to avoid cctv too, hence them being banned in some british malls.

i don't judge people because of what they wear, but i'm aware that there are assorted reasons for why people wear different things, and that i can't see or tell everything about a persons intentions or agenda from first glance. i don't assume, but as a store employee, and when working in a social work type job where i face a relatively high level of personal risk from those i come into contact with, i've learned to be aware when around someone who is dresed in a way that could physically conceal something, just like if they're wearing gang colours.
#14 Old 07-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Do Your Pants Hang Low?

Do They Wobble to and Fro?

Can You Tie Them in a Knot?

Can You Tie Them in a Bow?

Can You Throw Them Over Your Shoulder Like a Continental Soldier?

(I couldn't resist, sorry)
#15 Old 07-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I know that song! Apparently it started out as "Do your ears hang low", and then at summer camp, we changed "ears" to "boobs".

*this space not for sale*
#16 Old 07-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Banned

thats not quite the version that my drunken sailor of a father used to sing.
#17 Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Not to perpetuate the criminal thing, but Saturday morning a bus full of young men stopped on a parade route through a downtown area and proceeded to take care of their "community service", most of them had very saggy pants, one white guys pants were actually below his butt cheeks.
#18 Old 07-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

How stupid, especially because the guys showing gym shorts as opposed to undershorts can go on with business as usual, while looking the same as the undershort showing guys.

What's up with the sagging = criminals mindset? Wow... They may have a higher chance of being targeted or caught, but not necessarily of committing crimes based simply on their clothing choices. I can't even imagine what it is like to choose to avoid someone based on what they are wearing - well, unless they are wearing something like an Uzi on their back. I might steer clear of someone like that. And maybe someone wearing a hate slogan. But that would be because they are *saying* something pretty directly to anyone who can/does read.

As for stealing, what about the ladies with the big bags? You could practically fit a coffee maker in some of them. Should women carrying shoulderbags in excess of xx by xx inches be fined as well? Should there be laws against big bags?

Well, I guess I don't care too much for fining people for what they wear, and for making clothing choices illegal. And I'm pretty sick of reading about all this profiling of young men. I don't think that ordinance targets young men of color, but it does target young men who do not choose to dress mainstream. (Although, isn't sagging pretty mainstream by now? It's about three seconds before it goes out of style, probably.)

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#19 Old 07-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not to perpetuate the criminal thing, but Saturday morning a bus full of young men stopped on a parade route through a downtown area and proceeded to take care of their "community service", most of them had very saggy pants, one white guys pants were actually below his butt cheeks.

I don't know. To me, what you said is almost the same as saying most of them had long hair (something we might have heard a few decades ago).

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#20 Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

I don't know. To me, what you said is almost the same as saying most of them had long hair (something we might have heard a few decades ago).

And?????

By the way dressing like this where I come from is very mainstream. It is targeting young men! Because that is who is doing it! Would it be okay for a women to dress like this? Underwear and meant to be UNDER. Its about respect issues here, I feel. I think its very disrespectful to show your ass in public, black , white, young or old! Would you go to work like that? WOuld get hired looking like that. Come on.... It has come down to the point where it must be made illegal in order to get people to actual have some sense and pull up there pants! Again I say, "Pull up your pants!!!"
#21 Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

If this was an ordnance in the city I hail from, then half the population would be in jail.

From how I interpret the OP, African-Americans aren't being targeted per-se (IMHO)...but I won't go into that. The majority of non-whites here are Southeast Asian Immigrants, so I can't vouch for the clothing stylings of Afro-Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartfalafel View Post

If they are gonna do this, I would like them to add to it the chicks that have their thongy asscheeks hanging out as well. I mean, there are undie slipups and then there are just plain blatant atrocities. Yikes.

+1

..and I'm personally guilty myself of having lo-hanging pants, mostly because none of my clothes fit me properly and I don't own any belts.

At least I make sure my undies are decent.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#22 Old 07-23-2008, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not a racial issue, it's a matter of looking decent while out in public.

veganGO -
forum for vegan activists.
#23 Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And?????

By the way dressing like this where I come from is very mainstream. It is targeting young men! Because that is who is doing it! Would it be okay for a women to dress like this? Underwear and meant to be UNDER. Its about respect issues here, I feel. I think its very disrespectful to show your ass in public, black , white, young or old! Would you go to work like that? WOuld get hired looking like that. Come on.... It has come down to the point where it must be made illegal in order to get people to actual have some sense and pull up there pants! Again I say, "Pull up your pants!!!"

I'm not that young, so I remember in the 80's (or was it the 90's) when women wore underwear that showed. Corsets, bras and the like. And then more recently, the low slung pants with the undies showing. When it is in style, yes, I guess women do it too. Maybe that's not okay with you. I don't really have a problem with it, personally. I would not go to work with MY ass showing, no! Horrors!!! I wouldn't go anywhere but the shower with my ass showing, in fact. And I agree that working with your ass showing might not be respectful, but it would depend on what sort of work you're doing, IMO.

"Pull up your pants," hehe, that reminds me of a 90's Vanilla Ice song.

I can't imagine this sagging thing is going to go on much longer. It's been at least 10 years, hasn't it? Surely it is only a matter of time - a short time - until we're on to the next thing. I wonder what that's going to be, though?!

(BTW, just in case you thought my first post was directed at yours, I was commenting on the OP's quote when I said I thought it was stupid.)

#24 Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

I'm not that young, so I remember in the 80's (or was it the 90's) when women wore underwear that showed. Corsets, bras and the like. And then more recently, the low slung pants with the undies showing. When it is in style, yes, I guess women do it too. Maybe that's not okay with you. I don't really have a problem with it, personally. I would not go to work with MY ass showing, no! Horrors!!! I wouldn't go anywhere but the shower with my ass showing, in fact. And I agree that working with your ass showing might not be respectful, but it would depend on what sort of work you're doing, IMO.

"Pull up your pants," hehe, that reminds me of a 90's Vanilla Ice song.

I can't imagine this sagging thing is going to go on much longer. It's been at least 10 years, hasn't it? Surely it is only a matter of time - a short time - until we're on to the next thing. I wonder what that's going to be, though?!

(BTW, just in case you thought my first post was directed at yours, I was commenting on the OP's quote when I said I thought it was stupid.)

No not at all.....

It's just this is very widespread and abundant here....it just reflects poorly on youth and things like this happen. I am in my late 30's and I remember doing the in things in my youth, but no one ever saw my always clean undies. (you never know if you're going to get into an accident)
#25 Old 07-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

..and I'm personally guilty myself of having lo-hanging pants, mostly because none of my clothes fit me properly and I don't own any belts.

At least I make sure my undies are decent.

I generally have saggy britches too, but I have a belt. I have no hips or butt to speak of, and like baggy pants. It happens.
#26 Old 07-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I generally have saggy britches too, but I have a belt. I have no hips or butt to speak of, and like baggy pants. It happens.

Add me to that list but I take great care to not show the unmentionables.
#27 Old 07-23-2008, 10:03 AM

What's wrong with seeing bums/butts? Are naturists just as bad? o_O
#28 Old 07-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

What's wrong with seeing bums/butts? Are naturists just as bad? o_O

Depends on the butt, I think.
#29 Old 07-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

i'm wondering if this sorta thing would ever get passed here in ontario... where its not illegal for women to walk about topless.
#30 Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh reeeeally.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page