Your pants can't hang low - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned

seems silly that you'd be allowed to wander round with your boobs out, but not your kickers showing a bit, to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in a surf/skate city with tons of kids walking around saggin. I couldn't care less but I will admit that after growing up looking at it every day in school and dating these kinds of guys, I am over it. My Husband is from a nice small town and he wears *gasp* nice clothes. I nearly fell over when he walked up to meet me just by how nicely dressed he was. Even our businessmen dress very casual and when not at work, their pants sag. In my city, this law wouldn't be a racial issue.

Years and years ago, I was told that guys who sagged their pants did so in honor of their boys who went to jail and thus had no belts... or shoelaces for that matter. I don't know how true it is (or was) but once I grew up, I appreciated beaing able to see a guys butt in nice pants and not just a bunch of material and fancy boxers
#33 Old 07-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I live in a surf/skate city with tons of kids walking around saggin. I couldn't care less but I will admit that after growing up looking at it every day in school and dating these kinds of guys, I am over it. My Husband is from a nice small town and he wears *gasp* nice clothes. I nearly fell over when he walked up to meet me just by how nicely dressed he was. Even our businessmen dress very casual and when not at work, their pants sag. In my city, this law wouldn't be a racial issue.

Years and years ago, I was told that guys who sagged their pants did so in honor of their boys who went to jail and thus had no belts... or shoelaces for that matter. I don't know how true it is (or was) but once I grew up, I appreciated beaing able to see a guys butt in nice pants and not just a bunch of material and fancy boxers

I think I'd be a little more receptive if this was the case, but I have many times seen tightie whities
#34 Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

I think I'd be a little more receptive if this was the case, but I have many times seen tightie whities

Now, see, that's just wrong. How you gonna bust a sag wearing tightie whities?
#35 Old 07-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen it and they were not in great condition!
#36 Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Every time I see things like this I always wonder why they're even wearing pants. If underwear itself isn't considered indecent exposure -- why not just wear that?

But then I also wonder why a woman will wear a few strings and call it a bikini with so much visible you don't need imagination to picture her naked -- YET the same woman gets all embarrassed and hides if she changes her shirt and has a bra on that covers more than the bikini.
#37 Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

I haven't seen that. That would be point-and-laugh worthy.

Sorry Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Every time I see things like this I always wonder why they're even wearing pants. If underwear itself isn't considered indecent exposure -- why not just wear that?

But then I also wonder why a woman will wear a few strings and call it a bikini with so much visible you don't need imagination to picture her naked -- YET the same woman gets all embarrassed and hides if she changes her shirt and has a bra on that covers more than the bikini.

The bra modesty confuses me too. I think thta's just more about the fact that a bra isn't "suppoes" to be seen. How knows.

What irks me is in the summer these guys wear "shorts" that are so huge and sag so low that they might as well be pants. Seriously, if your "shorts" hit your socks, what's the point?
#38 Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I haven't seen that. That would be point-and-laugh worthy.

Sorry Brandon

Why are you sorry? Playbackguru is the guy who had his eyes burned by the tightie whitie guy.
#39 Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What irks me is in the summer these guys wear "shorts" that are so huge and sag so low that they might as well be pants. Seriously, if your "shorts" hit your socks, what's the point?

That annoys me too!! I can't stand when guys wear shirts that go past their knees either....at least when they wear those shirts you can't see their underwear though...
#40 Old 07-24-2008, 03:06 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

okay. this came up in new orleans as well, where 67% of the city is african american. almost 50% of the city is under the age of 40. Obviously, this law targets young black males, because thats what most of the cities population is. Lynwood Ill to me just sounds like Weird Al and I imagine its the white suburb of Chi(but if i'm wrong, correct me.) the saggy pants, big tee shirts thing comes directly from hip hop culture, which is dominantly black. this ordiance is just another way to slowly destroy this demographic. okay, so in lynwood you get a fine and a ticket, the version i heard before (new orleans version) it would be like a class something mis, which, okay, give the black kid a fine, add something to his record, push him farther and farther down the ladder.

its racism, to me, that's all.

who cares if it looks stupid, that's their choice to make, but when they start using it to further disenfranchise my people, then it gets ridiculous. young black males are an endagered species as it is.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#41 Old 07-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't consider something (law) racist if it applies to all races, and is being done by all races (as in, it doesn't single one race out intentionally).... there'll be a grouping of people more or less for anything -- even if you passed a law that said everyone must wear underwear -- you'll most likely have a higher percentage of one group going without than not.

And this "fad" is done in my town.... with 6,700 people.... in a county with 20,000 people.... with maybe 5% non-Caucasian population.

I personally wouldn't care if they let everyone walk around and shop naked if they wanted to (legally). It'd save a LOT of water and money in the long run as well.
#42 Old 07-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

okay. this came up in new orleans as well, where 67% of the city is african american. almost 50% of the city is under the age of 40. Obviously, this law targets young black males, because thats what most of the cities population is. Lynwood Ill to me just sounds like Weird Al and I imagine its the white suburb of Chi(but if i'm wrong, correct me.) the saggy pants, big tee shirts thing comes directly from hip hop culture, which is dominantly black. this ordiance is just another way to slowly destroy this demographic. okay, so in lynwood you get a fine and a ticket, the version i heard before (new orleans version) it would be like a class something mis, which, okay, give the black kid a fine, add something to his record, push him farther and farther down the ladder.

who cares if it looks stupid, that's their choice to make, but when they start using it to further disenfranchise my people, then it gets ridiculous. young black males are an endagered species as it is.

Maybe you need to look up the demographics of other cities that have been mentioned.
#43 Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

the saggy pants, big tee shirts thing comes directly from hip hop culture, which is dominantly black. this ordiance is just another way to slowly destroy this demographic. okay, so in lynwood you get a fine and a ticket, the version i heard before (new orleans version) it would be like a class something mis, which, okay, give the black kid a fine, add something to his record, push him farther and farther down the ladder.

I see what you mean. The ordinance in itself would ideally(?, for lack of a better word!) be colorblind, because so many people of different races sag nowadays, but maybe it is also true that there is a hidden racism behind it. In any case, I agree with you that people should have freedom of dress, as long as their dress does not interfere with other people's freedoms. And simply not liking a specific style does not take away a person's freedoms IMO. And I also agree about the profiling. It's like a vicious circle. It makes me sick to my stomach.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#44 Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Oh reeeeally.....

Someone planning a trip to Canada?

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#45 Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Why are you sorry? Playbackguru is the guy who had his eyes burned by the tightie whitie guy.

Yeah but, you were the one that said it was "wrong to bust a sag wearing tightie whities". I disagreed and said I'd point and laugh. That's why
#46 Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I find this "style" pretty amusing and do not think laws against certain types of clothing is a good idea. I always smile when I watch these kids trying to walk without their pants falling down! and sometimes they fail!!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#47 Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 PM

Although it maybe distasteful to most, the government shouldn't force people to dress a certain way. I mean what's going to stop them from banning other things in the future if this one succeeds. All types of people dress distastefully, women with thongs showing, really short shorts and skirts, big men wearing Speedos at the beach or guys who wear shorts like Dangle on Reno 911. Should we start giving out fines for those too? How many of us dress or wear things that may not be considered "normal" by mainstream. How would you feel if a ban would force us to change our freedom of expression? Chances are these are just young kids going through a phase. When I was in high school a lot of boys dressed like that and 10 years later they have jobs, aren't in jail, and don't dress that way anymore.

As far as wearing baggy clothes equal criminals is a new one to me! I have worked in retail stores and did my undergraduate studies in psychology and I was always taught to watch people's behavior not their clothes. When people intend to shop lift they behave a certain way. I have seen all types of people try to shop lift from teenagers, to old grandmothers, to housewives, to clean cut business types. Sure there are the obvious if it is 90 degrees outside and someone comes in wearing a winter coat than yea that maybe construed as suspicious. Working in social work you would be more alert with pretty much everyone you come in contact with especially if you worked in probation that and the fact that a lot of people don’t view social workers in a favorable light.
#48 Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah but, you were the one that said it was "wrong to bust a sag wearing tightie whities". I disagreed and said I'd point and laugh. That's why

Ah, gotcha.

You can point and laugh. Tightie whities are ridiculous.
#49 Old 07-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

............I wear my pants low sometimes. Although, not as severely as lots of other kids. Not to mention that I don't actually "show" my boxers, because I wear a shirt.
#50 Old 07-27-2008, 04:24 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

i haven't read any of these last pages of responses but i'm bowing out of this because it makes me too angry.

bye.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#51 Old 07-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

I have 2 quick stories...

My 8th grade history teacher would literally pick boys up by their pants to pull them up (in the air, the teacher was more than 6'7"). We had rules at our school about it.

I once saw this guy who had his pants to his KNEES. How the heck were they still up?

I think the look is completely dumb. I don't want to see underwear, male or female. I think it's a form of indecent exposure in some cases. I don't know if a law is "right" though...
#52 Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not against sagging pants. However, it's how it's done, and by who as to whether or not I find it repulsive. Skater dude sagging is alright, and my sagging is alright, lol, but some aren't. Like the combination of sagging pants with goofy-**** giant shirts that have silver "bling" stuff on them, while at the same time having the pant cuffs tied up. Or, a fat chick with pants that are either too baggy, or too tight to fit properly, resulting in baggage. Ugh......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page