How can us veges be selfish - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Today I was watching a tv programme on food and they were walking around the streets with their camera to ask random people their daily question. Then to my shock the lady wanted an answer to her question ''why vegeterians are considered to be selfish in ones society?'' one woman who was asked this laughed and said they have no appetite, one other guy said he cant understand vegeterians they miss out, but someone made a comment that hit me to state we dont care for children in poverty, we are selfish because we arent thankful for the food on our plate. I felt dissapointed at the show for being so stereotypical and at the fact children suffer with no food, however this has clearly got nothing to do with being a vegeterian or not. I for one do care about children in poverty, infact Im very thankful for my food as its cruelty free and Im thankful to have a healthy and natural diet. I also think by eating lots of soy and tofu we are making a difference to provide work opportunites for poverty workers. And in many cases most of the food that gets donated to people living in poverty consists of beans, and soy soils to allow them to grow fresh food. I think vegeterians are selfish in a good way, we save animals, the enviroment, and our health
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

People make the most bizarre connections between things.

In a local magazine over here recently, there was a piece on the fairtrade scheme (Aberdeen is a 'fairtrade city' apparently). The guy basically said that if you only buy fairtrade products it will put the non-fairtrade farmers out of business and that as they are the ones who use child labour, the children will have to become prostitutes.

So buying fairtrade goods encourages child prostitution.

Figure that out if you can.
#3 Old 07-15-2008, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

We're not selfish. At all.

You can feed many more starving people (Not just children, mind you) with the plants they feed the cows that end up at Mcdonald's than with just the cows themselves.

Vegetarianism is better for the environment, the economy (The fake products tend to be on the expensive side), the people, the animals, and our planet in general.

Just for your information, TV has a very aggressive way of cutting and editing their footage to make it the way THEY want it to be. If you're so angered by this, then write a letter or something. Complaining about it won't really do any good, and I'm sure you realize that none of us are going to think we are selfish.

I am assuming you simply wrote this to vent. Well, vent as you must.
#4 Old 07-15-2008, 03:47 AM

Omnis make a lot of silly comments about veggies especially about depriving ourselves of food. I havent been called selfish by anybody yet.

I found this website www.thehumanpotentialtrust.org that is very interesting about people being selfish.

I also believe the same as you Mrrple about the benefits of being a veggie. Beyond what we eat and why I think were selfish.
#5 Old 07-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

What? Huh?

Not eating something whose life was unwillingly taken from it = selfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

Just for your information, TV has a very aggressive way of cutting and editing their footage to make it the way THEY want it to be.

Yup. And a lot of TV is geared towards the lowest common denominator of society. Don't wanna use too many big words or talk about anything for more than a minute or two or someone might change the channel.....

However, mocking something/someone who's different than you are, now THAT is good viewing!
#6 Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Alright... Lady says that vegetarians are selfish because they don't eat meat-- others are starving.

She may be trying to make herself feel better because she herself eats meat. SO, she's eating to her heart's content while there are food riots in Africa. Hmm.. shove the blame on another group.

It's just a thought.

Plus, other cultures don't have a whole chunk of meat to themselves at meal time. There are plates and plates of veggies, too. The courses are shared. And people wonder about the obesity epidemic in America?

And during famines, help doesn't come in the form of meat. Types of flour and corn/maize are staples. India doesn't want your hamburger, lady.
#7 Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

For those who want to support Vegfam: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=85619
#8 Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

hold on hold on...

We're selfish cause we're NOT eating something? Is it selfish to care for the life of an animal? Since when does the definition of selfish mean to refuse something that causes harm to other beings?

What about all the meat-deprived people? what if there was a hypothetical store that we all had to get our meals from and there was one hamburger left, and I didn't take it but the omni behind me was the last person to have one?

How is that selfish? Why are people so dumb? Please, explain to me. Why the dumbness and ignorance? Why the human superiority complex?

ugh!

<3<3<3
#9 Old 07-16-2008, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Come on guys, I think we're setting the standard a little high here.

Not every adult is capable of critical or even rational thought you know. I only learnt this yesterday, mind you, whilst watching the Miss Universe pageant.
#10 Old 07-16-2008, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

Not every adult is capable of critical or even rational thought you know. I only learnt this yesterday, mind you, whilst watching the Miss Universe pageant.

Ahahaha! I liked Miss Venezuela, and am happy for her that they scored her highly in her bikini, but cannot believe they were so harsh on some of the others. Miss Japan cannot help having shorter femurs than the others

And to stay on topic, I wonder what the individual does to help these poor kids in poverty [Aside from gorging themselves on meat so they don't feel guilty for wasting food] The world needs more people like him/her! [/sarcasm]
#11 Old 07-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular

The whole us not thinking about children in poverty is a load of crap. I don't think a lot of people realise how much is wasted by feeding animalsfor their small piece of meat.

I watched a programme recently about food shortages, where they were blaming China because they suddenly want more meat in their diets. I was thinking 'Hang on, if you're so concerned why don't YOU stop eating meat' but oh no, they couldn't possibly consider that. It's fine to blame China and not look at how much meat they're eating isn't it? I can't stand when people see a problem arising that they could help, and just blame someone else instead of doing anything.

My mother has often called me selfish for being vegan, because she has to go out of her way to buy vegetables. My dads gf said I was selfish for not eating turkey on Christmas day too. I just laughed and ignored them. I never understood vegetarianism before going vegan, so I do see where they're coming from, I just wish people would be educated about it.
#12 Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I've very selfish....
#13 Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

This May, Bush sort of blamed India. India's middle class population is larger than the total U.S. population. He said something to the effect that once people get more wealth, they want better diet. He was assuming that India eats as much meat as the U.S. per meal. Really, tons of countries don't do meals that way. Not everyone gets that hunk of meat as the entree. blech.

I know that many people in India don't eat cow products, but some DO eat meat. It depends on their religion, it's not just an "India" thing.

I don't think this link will work, because I have to sign in to my college thing to get to it, but if anyone wants to read it I'll send it somehow.

http://library.cqpress.com/cqresearc...srre2008062700

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page