Show: Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I love to watch this show; It's really interesting to me.

But he just ate iguana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I think one of my favourite comments that he's made was when eating bulls scrotum... he commented on how with all the onions and garlic and veggies and herbs it was cooked in, anything would taste good. I thought "Oh really?? So it's the VEGETARIAN stuff that makes gross meat appealing?" :P

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 AM

I can't bear this show!

While visiting my parents my dad would watch it speakers a blazin' laughing about the baby duck fetus they just ate just to get me going. Man I really don't like that guys sometimes! LOL I'm just glad my daughter was sleeping so I didn't have to explain things to her!
#4 Old 07-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

It's on again and he's eating live bugs.. he said they "taste like Tutti-fruitty gum."

I guess I can separate myself from these things easily. I can watch people eat whatever, however gross it is. People eating meat and weird things in front of me are the same way... as long as it doesn't touch me or I can't smell it excessively.

And wow.. how on earth can you eat Mosquito eggs? I've never even SEEN them before, let alone ever thought people would eat them. I just like to learn about the things I guess.
#5 Old 07-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I think one of my favourite comments that he's made was when eating bulls scrotum... he commented on how with all the onions and garlic and veggies and herbs it was cooked in, anything would taste good. I thought "Oh really?? So it's the VEGETARIAN stuff that makes gross meat appealing?" :P

I know. Honestly, there aren't many people that will eat an unseasoned piece of meat. It's always doctored up somehow. On the other hand, everybody eats fruit plain, at least sometimes. And not many veggies need much doctoring up. I mean, you CAN doctor them up, but that's just for variety. Veggies and fruits are amazing by themselves-- meat is just.. meat.
#6 Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to watch it occasionally, but it started to be a bit gruesome,especially when he visited a restaurant where each diner could pick out a live guinea pig to be killed and roasted over a spit. After that, I just couldn't take it anymore.

I wonder how this guy's stomach can take all this stuff. I'll bet he keeps a large bottle of Pepto around!s
#7 Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I gotta admit I like this show also. There are a few episodes that I can't bare to watch and have to change the channel but I find the show so intriguing. Its so interesting to see all of the places he travels to and what foods they eat on a daily basis and how they live. I like Andrew Zimmer's personality. I don't know how the hell he stomachs half the disgusting crap he eats though.

Did you see the "stinky tofu" episode?
#8 Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

i like andrew a lot better than that bourdain (sp?) guy.

the stinky tofu episode cracked me up.
#9 Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought the episode where he tried to eat Durian was funny. It's the only thing I've ever seen him spit out!!

I'm fascinated by the stuff people eat around the world. And I agree with Fadeaway... he has a good personality and is fun to watch. He's also really respectful of the people he's dining with and the culture of the place he's visiting.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 07-02-2008, 04:43 PM

I am watching this show now. I admit that I think of all the meat-eaters I know- he is by far the most respectful. He knows that if you are eating a pig/cow/chicken - you can just as easily be eating bats/dogs/iguanas. I feel that because he respects other cultures, I can tolerate the gross stuff he eats. LOL- how awesome that of all the foods he has eaten it was fruit that caused him to get so grossed out that he spit it out!
#11 Old 07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

ahh yes! stinky tofu is a running joke with my boyfriend. He hates tofu, so he always calls it stinky tofu.
#12 Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 AM
Beginner

OMG!!! I watch this show and I respect the guy for trying the things he does, but I wanna . Animal balls .... that's gross. But yet, I keep watching just to see what he will eat. He's nuts LOL. But yet I'm vegan and it makes me sick every time ... what's up with that?!?!?!?!
#13 Old 07-03-2008, 03:42 AM
Veggie Regular

He is a brave soul, and provides an entertaining show, but I also don't like the fact that 100% of the "weird" foods he eats are all meats.

No Reservations with Anthony Bourdaine is the best show on the travel channel. I love Anthony Bourdaine.
#14 Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I love Tony Bourdain too!!! I know lots of vegetarians hate him because he has disdain for us, but I still think he's hilarious and interesting. I'm actually reading one of his books now...it's really good, and totally funny!
#15 Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

DUDE! I did not know this thread existed.

My roommates used to think I was so weird that I would basically only watch the Travel Channel. Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdain are the friggin best!
#16 Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Same, I always watch the Travel Channel.

Tony Bourdaine dislikes vegetarians?
#17 Old 07-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse27 View Post

Same, I always watch the Travel Channel.

Tony Bourdaine dislikes vegetarians?

from his book:

Quote:

\t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t "Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold. Oh, I'll accommodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them, for a 'vegetarian plate', if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine." From Kitchen Confidential, p. 70.

#18 Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Bourdain runs a steak house. Someone walking into a steakhouse and ordering a vegetarian dish would prolly annoy the hell out of me, too.
#19 Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 PM

These two guys are my favorites! I love them both. The only thing (other than the oft-mentioned meat meals) is when Zimmern starts smacking his lips or talking with food in his mouth. That totally grosses me out!

they are both so funny though and they are very respectful of the cultures they visit. I was so grossed out (and so was Bourdain) when he was given the lower rectal tract and anus of an animal to eat by a tribesmen. Even he said it was one of the worst moments he's had (the Hershey Highway he called it) but he was not about to insult his hosts. To me, that was a moment I could respect him but I'll tell you, I would have puked on site.
#20 Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I find Bourdain to be overbearingly pompous. I just don't like his personality.

But I really like Andrew Zimmern. He cracks me up. And the stinky tofu ... wow. Anything that can make him gag is definitely not on my list of things to try. LOL

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#21 Old 07-09-2008, 06:19 PM

just saw the delhi episode. Being Indian, hilarious that anything he ate (besides lamb brains ) was "bizarre". Interestingly he said that milk is a huge part of cuisines (true) and that it IS bizarre when you consider that you are having "cow secretions from mammary glands".
#22 Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

i like andrew a lot better than that bourdain (sp?) guy.

the stinky tofu episode cracked me up.

really i am the complete opposite....I luv Anthony Bordain esp his attitude..hehe and his no reservations show.....cannot stand Andrew Zimmerman...the show grosses me out.
#23 Old 07-12-2008, 08:37 AM

My husband loves that show. I'm not really a fan of it but will sit and watch if I don't have anything else to do. I was watching with my 8 year old son about a week ago and they were talking about how they eat fruit bats in Thailand. My son got really upset when they showed them catching the fruit bats by hitting them with cane poles. He said "That's mean. People shouldn't kill animals like that." I told him that that was tame compared to how we kill animals for food in this country. He looked at me with huge tears in his eyes and said, "I'm never eating an animal again!" It's been a week now and he still hasn't eaten meat, has given up dairy, and refuses Jell-O!! I am so proud!! LOL
#24 Old 07-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Did anyone see the one very recently where Zimmern goes to Malaysia? That one was disgusting.
#25 Old 07-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

It was actually a very old episode that they replayed...yeah, it is gross, I have seen it!
#26 Old 07-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

really i am the complete opposite....I luv Anthony Bordain esp his attitude..hehe and his no reservations show.....cannot stand Andrew Zimmerman...the show grosses me out.

Yeah, the stuff is gross...but Andrew is so sweet! You can't not like his personality. lol. And he is very funny.

I like Bourdain's personality, but more for his wit.
#27 Old 07-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Did anyone see Bourdain's Saudi Arabia episode? It was sick when they ate the baby camel. That was pretty sad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page