Hair Dying Help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

I've been a blond my entire life... I've never dyed my whole head (low lights a few times though). I'm sick of it. I've been told by many people that dying my hair would help thicken it up. I plan on going and getting a haircut tomorrow and after doing that, I plan on dying my hair with semi-permanent dye. I've never done this before, I'm a hair dying virgin, can I get some help/advice? I want to go... SCULLY RED

I want something that will wash out within a month, won't damage my hair, and won't look nasty when it fades out. It has to look natural (for my job) and I don't want something that's going to scare David Duchovny on Sunday

Some people on Yahoo! Answers recommended L'Oreal Colorspa, but I'm afraid I'll pick the wrong shade. I should probably get this done professionally my first time around, but I don't have the money to do it. Someone also said you can go into a place like Sally's Beauty Supply and they'll help pick out a shade there. I'm really afraid. This is a big step.

One more question... I have fair skin with pink undertones and green eyes, what type of shade should I be going for?

Thanks!

PS: I'll come back and post pictures of what I had in mind...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

This is Gillians color for the second X-Files movie:

My hair is a little lighter than this, it's just darker in this picture because it's loaded with hairspray:

#3 Old 06-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that colour would suit you but I have no advice on which colour to buy - I dye my hair a dark brown red but get a hairdresser to do it.

Good luck and I would love to see a photo!
#4 Old 06-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Dark Copper Blonde. I know your thinking that Scully's hair is not "blonde" but in terms of depth/intensity it is. The red is a copper-based red, too, so if you go for something else get a light copper.

ETA: Years back I used to dye my hair that colour. I used this , it's Napro Live Colour's version of Dark Copper Blonde and it's called "Aztec Copper". I have no idea whether they animal test, or they are available where you are but that's kind of what you get if you go looking for "copper blonde", or maybe a bit less red. That photo looks a bit redder that it comes out.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 06-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

When I posted the first message, I was thinking "Scully red" during the seasons, not the newest color. I definately think it's a blonde now... Colorspa Golden Copper or Garnier Light Reddish Blonde are pretty close

I got cold feet last night when I was thinking about dying my hair... I've now decided that I'm going to do it, but on Monday, after I see David Duchovny
#6 Old 06-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you might want to go to Sally's if you can and talk to them. I worked there for several years and giving advice is a big part of the job. The people there are usually pretty knowledgable. There are several products that are temporary or "semi-permanent." You might want to try a temporary color that washes out in a couple shampoos. There are several to choose from at Sally's and the products there are salon quality.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#7 Old 06-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

I've looked online and all of the temporary ones seem to be very limited in the color choice... many seem to be colors like bright red, blue, pink, black, etc. Is there really a bigger selection? I was originally looking into a temp color. I would like to see how I'd look with red hair
#8 Old 06-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Sally's has a lot of choices. You can actually use a "permanent" color with a lower volume developer and it will no longer be "permanent." The people at Sally's can explain all this.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#9 Old 06-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds great, thanks I'll try to make it in today.
#10 Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 AM

If you're wanting to go red, you could try henna. You can get it at some salons too, if you're worried about doing it yourself. The color lasts about 6-8 weeks, ime, and it's less chemical-filled. I have some that I've been thinking about using, for awhile now. It makes your hair nice a full-looking.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 06-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking into it now I definately need something that will thicken my hair...
#12 Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I read the title as "Hair dying, Help!" and I though gosh every pic I've ever seen of you your hair is gorgeous... not dying lol. No advice from me but I wanna see pics after you dye it! I've always always always wanted red hair
#13 Old 06-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I could see it being read that way... just missing a comma (which is commonly missing on MBs anyway)

Why don't you dye your hair? I'm going to semi-permenant probably, only lasts a month.
#14 Old 06-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah it made me giggle until I knew you were talking about dye-ing it, not your hair dying.

I did a semi-perm thing awhile back. J wanted to see what it would look like darker and I was game so I tried it. Luckily it only lasted about a month cause it wasn't the best decision I've ever made. So I recently cut my hiar shorter, put bangs in, and highlights. It's really cute and much more "me".... but I still want it red, or that really pretty fun dark pink color. I didn't dye it for a long time because a few years ago I had a stylist interpret the word "highlights" as "barbie blonde streaks". It was awful and took me nearly $400 to undo it. I'm still a little dye-shy
#15 Old 06-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

LOL. I made sure I was typing it right before I posted... all of the salon places have "Hair dying".. at least the ones I found.

Ooo.. are you going to share with us some pictures of your current hair?

What brand did you use that didn't look good? Couldn't you have just gone back to the same stylist and told her you didn't like it? Highlights aren't supposed to be super blonde unless your hair is already blonde (like mine is). I've had red and blonde streaks put in before

$400?! OUCH. Who charged you that much?
#16 Old 06-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't really have any pics that I like right now. I put up a picture of my butt in the user picture thread that's on my myspace, so you've seen that. Sometimes I'm weird about posting pictures. Can't explain it

The brand I used was something that my best friend picked out for me. She got it at the HFS and it was ok just not great on me. As for the barbie look.... that was complicated. The guy who used to cut my hair was my then-boyfriend's uncle. I adored him (the uncle not so much the BF). I had an appt with him to do my hair but ended up breaking up with my BF the night before. The appt went as usual except he totally f'd up my color. I still wonder to this day if that was on purpose- though I honestly don't believe it was. I couldn't go back to him after that though. He had screwed up my hair and I'd just broken up with his nephew after 5 long years. So I went to the girl my Mom sees who is very pricey but probably the best in the city. She fixed it after about 3 tries and that cost me $400. Moral of the story: don't go to your hairstylist if you've just broken up with someone in thier family. I still miss his family and his uncle and the haircuts though. He really was amazing despite my one bad experience.
#17 Old 06-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Uh, that's a crappy story. I doubt it was on purpose.

I expect pictures soon... get over your posting phobia
#18 Old 06-21-2008, 04:33 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

I used to dye my hair red/ ginger, I guess to more or less the same colour as Scully. I don't think they make the dye I used any more. I did hear that it's harder to get red hair dye these days as they found out the chemical that makes red hair dyes look natural causes cancer. My flatmate has been searching for a decent red hair dye for years. This is in the UK, so possibly different where you are.
#19 Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

My hair is now what I would call strawberry blonde, and since you seem pale like me (do you have freckles? even better haha), I think it would look natural on you...it looks pretty natural on me even though it SO isn't lol. Reddish hair, in my opinion, looks very nice with a complexion like yours.

Personally, I don't know much about temporary hair color, everything I've done has been permanent, yet my hair's still pretty ok. It might be because I use a very moisture-enriching product when I do dye it. If Garnier has temporary hair color, I really recommend the brand--it smells lovely and makes my hair sooo soft and shiny!!!
#20 Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

My hair is now what I would call strawberry blonde, and since you seem pale like me (do you have freckles? even better haha), I think it would look natural on you...it looks pretty natural on me even though it SO isn't lol. Reddish hair, in my opinion, looks very nice with a complexion like yours.

Personally, I don't know much about temporary hair color, everything I've done has been permanent, yet my hair's still pretty ok. It might be because I use a very moisture-enriching product when I do dye it. If Garnier has temporary hair color, I really recommend the brand--it smells lovely and makes my hair sooo soft and shiny!!!

Pale and heavily freckled Twins! I checked and it doesn't appear that Garnier has a semi permanent option I'm about to make another post with what I ended up doing...
#21 Old 06-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

So I went to Sally's Beauty Supplies and talked to a lady... she said that since I've never dyed my hair, I should use a temp to see what I like. She told me that because I was a natural blonde, I could choose from any color and it would look good I ended up buying Fanci-Full rinse. My results weren't nearly as dramatic as I thought they would be, but the look good. The Red color I bought.

My results:

I don't know if I used enough, maybe that's why it wasn't dark at all (although I went back to one chunk of hair and went crazy with the dye, still didn't get bright results like I thought I would). I plan on going back and exchanging the other color I bought (won't do much). I'd like to try a dark brown too. I plan on coloring my hair soon a copper blonde color I love how it matches my skin.
#22 Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

I think you only used a rinse? They only last a wash or two, and I've never had dramatic results from them. They basically just lightly tint your hair. You could use something semi permanent. Though I used some semi permanent brown dye on mine, and redid it a month later, and a month after that. Now the dye isn't coming out! Brown hair- blonde routes- interesting!
#23 Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Heather!! It's so pretty!! That's a really natural light strawberry blonde and it looks good on you It would still be cool to see it darker. And yeah, a rinse or a glaze is really only going to put a little hint of something in your hair. Which is fun for a temporary thing but won't work if you want something really dramatic. It's gorgeous!! I'm so jealous of your color right now

OK so I got over my posting phobia and I just took a pic of my hair. I'm gonna post it in the hair thread. I just woke up so it's uh... not as perfect as it could be lol.
#24 Old 06-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post

I think you only used a rinse? They only last a wash or two, and I've never had dramatic results from them. They basically just lightly tint your hair. You could use something semi permanent. Though I used some semi permanent brown dye on mine, and redid it a month later, and a month after that. Now the dye isn't coming out! Brown hair- blonde routes- interesting!

I'm glad I did the rinse though so I knew the color would come out if I didn't like it I'm afraid that's going to happen with me... I want my blonde back after the red is gone. I'm a low maintance girl, I would hate having to keep something up like hair dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Heather!! It's so pretty!! That's a really natural light strawberry blonde and it looks good on you It would still be cool to see it darker. And yeah, a rinse or a glaze is really only going to put a little hint of something in your hair. Which is fun for a temporary thing but won't work if you want something really dramatic. It's gorgeous!! I'm so jealous of your color right now

OK so I got over my posting phobia and I just took a pic of my hair. I'm gonna post it in the hair thread. I just woke up so it's uh... not as perfect as it could be lol.

Thanks I would love to see dramatic results though... I need a change. The only reason I haven't done it yet is because I'm afraid it's not going to wash out in 28 washes like the semi-perm ones say they will. When I do it, I'm not going to tell anyone and just show up places, see if anyone notices

I saw the picture, it's pretty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page