The 10 Most Worthless College Majors - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned

I read this article..

The 10 Most Worthless College Majors

And I have a friend who majors in dance here! Maybe I'll forward this article along to him...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketomato View Post

I read this article..

The 10 Most Worthless College Majors

And I have a friend who majors in dance here! Maybe I'll forward this article along to him...

What's wrong with dance? I did a bit as part of my teacher training and found it really good for fitness and expanding my horizons.
#3 Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I only glanced at the article, but it looks like it was written by an idiot....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#4 Old 06-05-2008, 02:11 AM
Bof
Banned

I just looked at the list and couldn't find a single one that I'd consider 'useless.'

I do, however, wonder about the American propensity for awarding football scholarships and find it strange that whoever selected the 10 subjects didn't include football.
#5 Old 06-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Veggie Regular

...I'm taking a risk at being tarred and feathered by my fellow VB'ers, but as a current college student* coming closer and closer to graduation and has many friends who have already graduated....

....I can't agree with that article more.

*with none of my majors listed above

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#6 Old 06-05-2008, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

I just looked at the list and couldn't find a single one that I'd consider 'useless.'

I do, however, wonder about the American propensity for awarding football scholarships and find it strange that whoever selected the 10 subjects didn't include football.

Granted I have been away from the U.S. for a while, but I've never heard of a football major. Perhaps that's why it wasn't included on the list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

...I'm taking a risk at being tarred and other feathered by my fellow VB'ers, but as a current college student* coming closer and closer to graduation and has many friends have already graduated....

....I can't agree with more.

But what if your major was #11?

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#7 Old 06-05-2008, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

But what if your major was #11?

I doubt Biology would EVER make that list, unless we decode the entire genome of every living thing, fully understand the cell cycle, discover every biological marker for cancer predisposition, as well as every other disease.............etc etc [I could go on forever], tomorrow. Which most of us are not foreseeing.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#8 Old 06-05-2008, 04:53 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

Granted I have been away from the U.S. for a while, but I've never heard of a football major. Perhaps that's why it wasn't included on the list?

From Wiki: 'An athletic scholarship is a form of scholarship to attend a college or university awarded to an individual based predominantly on his or her ability to play in a sport. Athletic scholarships are common in the United States, but in many countries they are rare or non-existent'.

Maybe those people don't major in sport but study something else befitting their intellect, like macrame or tiddley winks.
#9 Old 06-05-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that music therapy is a great major. The hospital I work in use music therapy all the time. We have 3 permanent music therapists on staff.
#10 Old 06-05-2008, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I doubt Biology would EVER make that list,

Biology? Yep, that won't be on the shortlist anytime soon, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

From Wiki: 'An athletic scholarship is a form of scholarship to attend a college or university awarded to an individual based predominantly on his or her ability to play in a sport. Athletic scholarships are common in the United States, but in many countries they are rare or non-existent'.

Maybe those people don't major in sport but study something else befitting their intellect, like macrame or tiddle winks.

That's harsh. Not too much confidence in the football players' smarts, eh? They do have to pass general classes to graduate, no matter what they end up majoring in. Tiddly Winks 101 is only offered in kindergarten, but some colleges do have classes in macrame - yikes, just as you suspected.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#11 Old 06-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I know people who've worked as dancers, writers, artists and the like. While you may not need these courses to make a living in these careers, if you are going to college anyway (and a lot of people do, for the experience it gives), you may as well do something you will enjoy and that will enhance your career in those areas.

I'm guessing the writer was a tad jealous of people who make a good living in the arts.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#12 Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

I think its interesting that so many of these are in the Humanities (I'm a Humanities / Art major myself). We place little value on them, but what gives us the most daily pleasure? Do we turn on the radio during rush hour to listen to theories on evolution (I know some of us do) or to listen to music?

I totally understand, and to a degree agree that humanities (so called "soft sciences" as I like to call them) are a tad undervalued.

I think the article is trying to emphasize how many college kids do major in them ((again, many MANY of my peers majored in things like soc or psych or English...for what reason I have no clue)) ..and now work at Cumberland Farms.

They are great majors if you want to get into the teaching field or have the brains and means for a higher degree ((I've found that most "sociology" majors lack the latter )).

www.animal-adoptions.org

#13 Old 06-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Awww, mine's not on there. English Lit is close enough, though.

I go to a school that's known for its sciences, and while people don't really say anything about us humanities majors, there's definitely a disparity. Science majors here, especially pharmacy majors, tend feel confident about their future and their ability to make money (whether or not they have a reason to feel that way is another issue), and the rest of us kind of have to fight for validation that we're not just goofing off or taking the easy path through college.

Every time I tell someone where I go to school, they say "Oh, are you studying pharmacy?" And then I say, "No, creative writing," and they're always like "...Oh." Then people get interested, because it's a weird major, but they always adjust their thinking from "Oh, she's going to be rich!" to "Poor thing, she's going to be living in a box."
#14 Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They are great majors if you want to get into the teaching field or have the brains and means for a higher degree ((I've found that most "sociology" majors lack the latter )).

But you need a higher degree in the sciences too if you ever want to rise above being a lab assistant, right?
#15 Old 06-05-2008, 07:18 AM

I don't think any college or university course is worthless if you enjoy it and learn from it. Not everyone desires a highly paid job or to use their further education towards getting a particular job after all
#16 Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

...I'm taking a risk at being tarred and other feathered by my fellow VB'ers, but as a current college student* coming closer and closer to graduation and has many friends who have already graduated....

....I can't agree with that article more.

Exactly what I was thinking, well other than the near graduation bits.
#17 Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

This article is the typical wrong thinking that the only thing gained from college is job training. School is about learning, expanding your experiences, and understanding culture. If you go to college simply to get a job then you're missing out on a lot.
#18 Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Biology? Yep, that won't be on the shortlist anytime soon, I guess.

That's harsh. Not too much confidence in the football players' smarts, eh? They do have to pass general classes to graduate, no matter what they end up majoring in. Tiddly Winks 101 is only offered in kindergarten, but some colleges do have classes in macrame - yikes, just as you suspected.

Not all football players are dumb jocks. College football players get a lot of help so they can focus on whats really important, the game.
#19 Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I only glanced at the article, but it looks like it was written by an idiot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I know people who've worked as dancers, writers, artists and the like. While you may not need these courses to make a living in these careers, if you are going to college anyway (and a lot of people do, for the experience it gives), you may as well do something you will enjoy and that will enhance your career in those areas.

I'm guessing the writer was a tad jealous of people who make a good living in the arts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

I don't think any college or university course is worthless if you enjoy it and learn from it. Not everyone desires a highly paid job or to use their further education towards getting a particular job after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

This article is the typical wrong thinking that the only thing gained from college is job training. School is about learning, expanding your experiences, and understanding culture. If you go to college simply to get a job then you're missing out on a lot.

*this space not for sale*
#20 Old 06-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

haha. i was going to quote all the ones you quoted, too. i agree with all of them.
#21 Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel kind of guilty for not helping dad in the basement. But my brother isn't down there and it's kind of pointless to have puny little me moving boxes if my nearly 6-foot brother is upstairs doing nothing.
#22 Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Exactly. College isn't vocational school. But with a tiny bit of imagination and drive a liberal arts major can go on to explore any number of viable professions. With any one of the majors mentioned you could pursue a career in law, education, business, advertising or public relations, public service, etc., etc. I was an English major and I've done quite well for myself, thank you.
#23 Old 06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with what everyone is saying, however...

I also thought it was really funny, and I'm probably the only one. I didn't take it seriously, and honestly some of the stuff was true...it just shouldn't matter whether you can get a job because of your college major or not.

My major right now is French, which may be useless to some, and I might change it when I go to my new university. I'll probably choose something "useless" but I don't care, because I plan on going to culinary school after for my career. I never thought of college as a place to train for my job, rather, it was a place where I could explore all different subjects and possibilities and learn what I liked.
#24 Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

I agree with what everyone is saying, however...

I also thought it was really funny, and I'm probably the only one.

I thought it was hilarious! The pictures were funny enough, but the job descriptions were the best. Especially the bit about David Caruso. And I doubt very much that it is a serious article. How can anyone not laugh at the bit about American Studies?

Quote:

Why It Wont Help You Get a Job: If youre not named Achmed or Bjork or GDay Mate this isnt a degree, its the last 18 years of your life. If you really want to study us you dont need to go to some stupid class, you need only to sit back and watch a two-hour block of Must-See TV to understand The American. After doing my own research, it seems that this mysterious creature is a pot-bellied humanoid with a hot wife and bad credit who has a penchant for low-calorie beer, Chilis, Applebees, TGIFridays, Dennys, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Dave and Busters, Steak and Shake, Chilis (again) and Red Lobster. Oh and he can totally demolish a White Castle Crave Case in, like, 20 seconds. OK, now give me my degree.

What Job Youll End Up With: To take your American Studies degree one step further, you will be qualified to do 40-50 years of graduate work cleaning tables and taking orders at a Chilis, Applebees, TGIFridays or Red Lobster. Or possibly Dennys.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#25 Old 06-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

lol I read it over the phone to my mom and she was dying!!! I loved that part!
#26 Old 06-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder by what measure they gauge the worth of a major. Potential for monetary profit? Not everyone attends college primarily for a piece of paper to increase how much money they make.
#27 Old 06-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

The "worthless degrees" mentioned in the article are good for people who want to teach or have a career where it really doesn't matter what their degree is in so long as they have one (things like sales, public relations, marketing, stuff like that).

My career (and I'm sure lots of others) absolutely required a degree in one of the hard sciences. If I didn't have a math degree (or computer science or physics, etc), I'd be flipping burgers right now.
#28 Old 06-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

I have a black belt in macrame.
#29 Old 06-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a bachelor's in liberal arts. :P My undergrad didn't have majors.

That has led me to --- a Masters in Social Welfare and now a PhD in Social Welfare (in progress).

Now if you want to talk about useless Grad degrees...

nah, i'll just offend people

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#30 Old 06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I wonder by what measure they gauge the worth of a major.

Well, the author of this article was making a joke. Really. And a pretty darn funny one too. Although there is some truth to it as well.

www.thesaucyvegan.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page