What's your rum of choice? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

If I keep posting threads like this, I'm going to get the reputation of being an alcoholic. I'm not. I'm just curious as to what everyone's fav rum is. I like Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum and Malibu. I really haven't tried much else (except for the generic brand). A few people on here have mentioned Sailor Jerry's as one of their favs. What I'd like to know is how you'd rate your fav and others you've tried. Is it worth the cost? About how much is a regular sized bottle? Favorite drink with it? Thanks!

Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum - To me, it has a vanilla taste to it (not sure if it's vegan). I pay about $13 for a 750ml bottle. BEST drink: Cherry coke and CMSR It is syrupy.

Malibu - Yes, it's the sterotypical teen party drink, but it is for a reason. Good for making tropical drinks like Lava Flow or Pina Colada. I managed to snag a 1.75L bottle for $17 when it was on sale.

Please tell all... I'd love to get a different kind of rum today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Appleton Estates from Jamaica , its pricey, but sipable and delish
#3 Old 05-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

About how much? Is it easy to find in the grocery store?
#4 Old 05-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

MALIBU!<3333

And danak, grocery stores aren't authorized to sell rum, at least where I live. If you want liquor, liquor stores are the best place to go
#5 Old 05-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Here, they can sell anything Some brands are just harder to find than others.
#6 Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi I'm a pirate who is allergic to rum. oh the pain!

I used to like malibu and rummy cocktails =(
#7 Old 05-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Allergic? Really What part of the rum are you allergic to, do you know?
#8 Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Sailor Jerry. Why anyone drinks any other kind of rum is beyond me. In fact, it's just about the only liquor I drink except the occasional vodka tonic w/ heavy lime. I'm a rum & coke drinker and when I ordered that on the west coast I got some really funny looks. I never drink soda except with Jerry. When I first started buying it years ago, it was $15 a bottle and now it's almost $20. That's craziness. Too many people drink it now and it's getting more expensive lol.
#9 Old 05-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

You got funny looks for ordering rum and coke? It's a very popular drink here too. I'm going to try and return the tequila I bought yesterday... I don't need it. I'd rather put that $20 towards fresh fruit... or Sailor Jerry
#10 Old 05-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Get some Jerry pronto. And yeah- We went out a few nights in Cali and a few in Seattle and every time I'd order a rum and coke they'd say "you mean pepsi?" or if they had coke they'd just kinda look at me funny and pour the strongest rum and cokes I'd ever tasted. Blech! It was the only time I missed home actually. I was dyin for a proper jerry and coke and a red headed slut. Mmmm damn that sounds good.

PS- Jerry is pretty strong. It's like 94 proof or something crazy. So be careful lol.
#11 Old 05-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Rum and Pepsi? No way! It seems like most bars, even locally, would only carry coke because it's a more common mixer in drinks (rum and coke, Long Island Iced Tea, etc). Maybe they weren't used to a woman ordering it *shrugs*

Is there really a huge difference between 70 and 94 proof?
#12 Old 05-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a difference of 35% and 47% alcohol. All I'm sayin is watch out cause sometimes Jerry gets ya when you're not lookin

And why is that a man's drink? It's sooo common here and I just felt out of place when I ordered it. It was strange. Plus, everyone was lining up at the bar. Like, in a single file line. Who does that?! It was very odd and I felt my bar etiquette was not up to par lol.
#13 Old 05-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually don't have more than 1/2 an ounce in one sitting. I usually make a drink with 1, but then Mark steals half Piggy men!

Not saying it's a man's drink for sure, but it seems like most girls I've seen at bars have girly drinks like cosmos. I'd drink rum and coke if I went out. I've only been to a bar a few times, but we never did the single file line before, not once. Where in Cal did you go?
#14 Old 05-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok yeah it wasn't in Cali with the single file line; that was in Seattle. It confused me somethin awful lol. I was in Huntington Beach, CA awhile ago and the rum and coke thing wasn't so strange but some places didn't have coke at all. Which isn't that big of a deal really.

Sadly, I can drink just as much as my Husband... and he's 6" taller and built well
#15 Old 05-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

You were in Huntington!? That's not too far from me If you ever come back, we are totally meeting up!

Both my bf and I are lightweights He's only been drunk once before and that was when he was 15 and in France
#16 Old 05-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I was in Huntington about 2 years ago. It was so much fun. First time in an all vegan restaraunt. I seriously got teary eyed . It was for this tournament thing my Husband was in so it was paid for and I have no idea when we'd be back. The only draw to the west coast we have is his family in WA and OR. But I'd love to if I'm ever there.

... and I won't get you too drunk *just jokin*
#17 Old 05-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

#18 Old 05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite is one that I can only buy online in the states, but could get it in stores in the Caribbean: Sint Martin Guavaberry. Mix a little in lemonade or the like. I guess that's what comes from living in the Islands, being introduced to good booze that I can't find here.
#19 Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Appelton runs about 30 bucks a 5th.
#20 Old 05-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to a local liquor shop and saw the Appleton for $31. I got Sailor Jerry for only $14 I also got some Patron (small bottle for 6.99)
#21 Old 05-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Sailor Jerry!

..and Bacardi coconut.

Malibu and Parrot Bay are too sweet for me. I do love rum though.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#22 Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I went to a local liquor shop and saw the Appleton for $31. I got Sailor Jerry for only $14 I also got some Patron (small bottle for 6.99)

Um....I'm jealous!! Unless it was the small bottle and not the liter or whatever size they come in. The handle is $30 and I'm currently workin through one. Make sure you peek behind the label too Let me know what you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Sailor Jerry!

..and Bacardi coconut.

They're too sweet for me too. It's not very often that I find someone else who drinks Jerry
#23 Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

It's not very often that I find someone else who drinks Jerry

We're classy broads, that's why.

I have a Sailor Jerry Rum poster hanging up in my room that they were giving away at the NH State stores. Damn straight! Love that little hula girl! Haha.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#24 Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We're classy broads, that's why.

I have a Sailor Jerry Rum poster hanging up in my room that they were giving away at the NH State stores. Damn straight! Love that little hula girl! Haha.

Yup- sheer class I have a shirt, a few decks of cards, the CD, and an ashtray (which I won't be using anymore). My friend used to work at the liquor store and they had this huge hula girl cutout. I begged and begged her to steal it for me... but no. Honestly, I'm in love with the sailor girl, the one in white. She's so cute but they all are
#25 Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

yep, Sailor Jerry all the way. unless you really want non-spiced for some particular mixing function then you want Myers Dark Rum. then there's Patron Silver for really savoring rum.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#26 Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sailor Jerry!

..and Bacardi coconut.

I'm looking forward to trying Sailor Jerry tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Um....I'm jealous!! Unless it was the small bottle and not the liter or whatever size they come in. The handle is $30 and I'm currently workin through one. Make sure you peek behind the label too Let me know what you think!

It's the really small bottle. I wasn't going to buy it, but it was my birthday and I had pressure from my sister. The guy at the shop gave me a free 99 cent mini bottle of some alcohol for my birthday If I really like it, I'm going to buy the bigger bottle from TJ (cheaper there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

yep, Sailor Jerry all the way. unless you really want non-spiced for some particular mixing function then you want Myers Dark Rum. then there's Patron Silver for really savoring rum.

I had Myers Dark Rum for the first time yesterday in a Raspberry Mojito (I know it was Myers, I'm pretty sure it was Dark). I liked it a lot. Patron Silver is the one I got I'll let you guys know what I ended up loving... if I can find my way back to the computer
#27 Old 05-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

The other night I had Captain Morgan's spiced rum mixed with Gingerale.

It tasted like Christmas candy!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#28 Old 05-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Was it your first time having Captain Morgan's spiced rum? That mix sounds gooood. Did it taste like cream soda a bit? What was the ratio? (cocktail, mixed drink, etc?)
#29 Old 05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Not my first time with Captain Morgan's spiced rum, but the first time I actually liked the taste.

It doesn't taste like cream soda to me at all.

It was a highball. One oz. rum in a rocks glass with ginger ale and ice filled to the top.

You might prefer it in a tall glass though.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#30 Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I found a recipe like the one you're describing and someone said it tastes like cream soda. It's titled "Gillian's Island" on one website, although I think it has less rum than what you had. I'll try it, see if I like it

I tried Sailor Jerry... it's not bad Had it with Cherry coke, but I think I added a little too much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page