Where should i move? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-22-2008, 10:11 AM

I am thinking about moving.But i don't really know where to go. I am thinking somewhere near the coast (any coast) and somewhere with little to no snow.

i can do my job pretty much anywhere so thats not an issue, but i'll obviously be kinda broke for a while so i don't want to go where the cost of living is outrageous. I can get by speaking spanish, and i can survive speaking german...i'd be willing to learn any language though. and i would really enjoy a vegan-friendly area.

help me out, guys! do you love where you live? been somewhere that you wished you lived?

any ideas are much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Wales!

You could live by the Gower - surrounded by beautiful beaches and cliff walks
#3 Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

where do you live now?
#4 Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 AM

i live in the suburbs of chicago...and i absolutely love chicago but i'm looking for a change and some ocean
#5 Old 05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

charleston, south carolina is pretty nice. i'm not sure of the cost of living for most of the area, though. it's right by the water, too.
#6 Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Hawaii

except the cost of living might be an issue

honestly though, as much as i hate winter, i really love Canada and seriously doubt i could ever live in another country. even another province really, i love Ontario.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#7 Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 AM

I'm not an expert by any means, but my opinion is that you should generally avoid the U.S. southeast coast if being in a vegan-friendly area is a top priority for you. It is beautiful, I'll give it that...

I lived in south Georgia for several years, South Carolina for a couple summers, and spent a lot of time visiting areas along the SE coast. BUT - never found another vegan anywhere. Never found a vegan store. Found very few people who actually knew what a "vegan" even was.

Soo... perhaps I was just unlucky or not looking hard enough. But from my little experience, if that's a top priority for you, you may be disappointed with most of that coast/area.

Good luck!
#8 Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

i have friends in North Carolina so i've been checking around to see if there are many vegan restaurants in their area for when i go to visit, and there are actually quite a few. they get very little snow. in fact my friend moved there from up here and at first said she was quite bored and disappointed with the weather cause it's always nice out lol. she said it's so boring, it doesn't rain a whole lot it doesn't snow a whole lot, they don't get storms very often.. how dull she's a nut.

seems to me there are quite a few vb'ers in Portland area, it sounds like a pretty veg-friendly place. i'd suggest actually going through the local threads for each state so you can get a feel for where a lot of vbers live and wether or not those areas are veg friendly

or just move to Canada

~Miyavi "Torture"
#9 Old 05-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

From all the places I've ever visited, the one I definitely want to live in is Portland (OR). My boyfriend used to live out there and I love the city as well as the all the beautiful nature around it. It is also quite vegan-friendly.

I currently live in Washington, DC area which is pretty nice and I love the diversity here, but it is kind of expensive.
#10 Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

move to Victoria or Vancouver BC. Thought cost of living is not cheap...a tiny bit cheaper in Victoria...it is the most gorgeous cities in the world. Vancouver was voted as one of the top 10 most livable cities in the world. I think Victoria was just too small for them Very vegan friendly too!

I would love to move to Costa Rica...tho I don't know how vegan friendly they are. cost of living is dirt cheap! Gorgeous weather!
#11 Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeCiroc View Post

I'm not an expert by any means, but my opinion is that you should generally avoid the U.S. southeast coast if being in a vegan-friendly area is a top priority for you. It is beautiful, I'll give it that...

Agreed, except for southeastern Florida. It's a fairly liberal and veg-friendly area.

As others have mentioned, the west coast might be good, too. California, Oregon, and Washington are known as liberal states, so I'd assume they'd be fairly veg-friendly, though I don't know from personal experience.

--Fromper

#12 Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, Los Angeles, California, of course. It's a no brainer.

or, more specifically, where I am, Santa Monica. You've got ocean, lots of it. It only snows in the mountains, so if you get a hankering for the stuff, you can head for the hills. We've got great weather all year round, and are we vegan friendly? You got it. Vegetarian friendly, vegan friendly, even raw friendly. The people here speak English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, French, Arabic, etc. etc. etc.

And every August, there is a Tofu Festival in Little Tokyo. Mmmmm!

*this space not for sale*
#13 Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 PM

I've done this research for myself already. Do you want to stay in the US?

Check out Puerto Rico I know many there who say it is perfect.
#14 Old 05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

move to Victoria or Vancouver BC. Thought cost of living is not cheap...a tiny bit cheaper in Victoria...it is the most gorgeous cities in the world. Vancouver was voted as one of the top 10 most livable cities in the world. I think Victoria was just too small for them Very vegan friendly too!

I adore Victoria! I don't get out there often but it's just so gorgeous....
#15 Old 05-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Well, Los Angeles, California, of course. It's a no brainer.

or, more specifically, where I am, Santa Monica. You've got ocean, lots of it. It only snows in the mountains, so if you get a hankering for the stuff, you can head for the hills. We've got great weather all year round, and are we vegan friendly? You got it. Vegetarian friendly, vegan friendly, even raw friendly. The people here speak English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, French, Arabic, etc. etc. etc.

And every August, there is a Tofu Festival in Little Tokyo. Mmmmm!

As much as I'd love to second that... it's pricey, crowded, and smoggy Definately vegan friendly though! San Diego is my fav place actually.
#16 Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

charleston, south carolina is pretty nice. i'm not sure of the cost of living for most of the area, though. it's right by the water, too.

I'm in Columbia, SC. There are several veg friendly places, and the cost of living is SUPER SUPER CHEAP!!!! Gas prices are on par with the rest of the US, but apartment rentals are $325-$400 for crummy ones, and $450-$550 for nice ones (many do allow pets).

My energy bill is $74-$115/month...but that varies according to your home. The property taxes on my car were $39, state taxes are low, and we don't have to deal with vehicle inspections.

The coast and it's beaches are a 3 hour drive or less, and in the city there's the expected museums, theaters, parks, etc. that one would find in a capital city.

But...you will have to deal with some very ugly people calling you 'honey' all the time. And, on Sundays, nothing's open until 1:30pm, and everything closes at 6pm...it IS the Bible Belt after all. But, I really don't hear much religious-type stuff here.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#17 Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeCiroc View Post

I lived in south Georgia for several years, South Carolina for a couple summers, and spent a lot of time visiting areas along the SE coast. BUT - never found another vegan anywhere. Never found a vegan store. Found very few people who actually knew what a "vegan" even was.

Soo... perhaps I was just unlucky or not looking hard enough. But from my little experience, if that's a top priority for you, you may be disappointed with most of that coast/area.

Good luck!

There are more veg friendly places out there, but the southeast is slowly coming around. There are a few vegan restaurants now if you can believe it, but my fav place is a health food deli/cafeteria that mostly has vegan, vegetarian, and macrobiotic stuff...with a few meat options for those who think they'll die without it.

And, more and more of our grocery stores have veg*n/kosher sections with specialty items like Earth Balance, Tempeh, Tofutti products, Organic items, Soy/Rice Ice creams, even a shelf or two of vegan snacks and chocolate.

It jsut depends on how rural you are.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#18 Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

i live in raleigh, nc and we've never had an issue...

there's a whole foods nearby...and harris teeter doesn't do too badly with veg products, either...

there are a few veg restaurants around here...and actually, chapel hill has a whole lot more...i dunno if you would dig living in a college town, though

cary has whole foods, trader joes and a couple of veg restaurants...

we're not too far from the coast, either....

but anyway...we love raleigh!
#19 Old 05-23-2008, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

As much as I'd love to second that... it's pricey, crowded, and smoggy Definately vegan friendly though! San Diego is my fav place actually.

Well, you live in the desert. It's a LOT less smoggy by the coast, because of lovely ocean breezes. As for pricey, yes, but the OP can always get a roomate to share expenses. As for crowded, I'll have to agree to that, but that's the price one pays for living in Paradise...

*this space not for sale*
#20 Old 05-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Raleigh is where my friends are actually

~Miyavi "Torture"
#21 Old 05-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

Raleigh is where my friends are actually

woot!! that's awesome! *high five*
#22 Old 05-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Well, you live in the desert. It's a LOT less smoggy by the coast, because of lovely ocean breezes. As for pricey, yes, but the OP can always get a roomate to share expenses. As for crowded, I'll have to agree to that, but that's the price one pays for living in Paradise...

Santa Monica is very nice though, I've been out there before. I've never priced apartments out there, I'm going to do that now...

ETA: Oh my gosh, it's more expensive than San Diego! *falls over*
#23 Old 05-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

San Diego = Heaven

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page