cell phone suggestions? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

So I've resisted getting a cell phone until now, but I think it's time I get one. I'll be doing some traveling this summer, and it's good to have a phone on the road. So does anyone have any suggestions for a phone and a service plan? I'm pretty overwhelmed by the options. My needs include: minimal local calls (I'd pretty much only use it when I absolutely need to, not for idle conversation), 2-3 long distance calls a week (I talk to family and friends long distance, but not on a daily basis). So, as you can see, my phone needs are pretty minimal compared to most people. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

go with a pay as you go service if you don't plan on using it much. and don't skimp on the phone itslef. we've always gotten the phones that are free with a contract and they're always junk. we don't need a lot of bells and whistles we just use it as a phone so we go with the freebie cause it's usually the more basic model, but they always end up being poor quality. the one my hubby and i both have right now has little to no battery life left and the mic is absolutely horrible people can never hear us

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Well how far are you traveling? That's really going to make a difference considering your service plans. That said, I've tried them all and my absolute favorite is verizon. I like the customer service (and I've had to use them), I like my POS free phone that came with it almost 3 years ago, and I've traveled up and down the east coast all the way to Quebec (from Virginia) and got service in most areas. I paid for the roaming fees but I really liked having it. My Husband has a pay-as-you-go phone for back and forth to work, emergencies, and texting which works great for us. We spend maybe $5-10 a month on that one. I know it's silly but I feel a need to have a phone for emergencies. HTH!
#4 Old 05-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Beginner

with alltel you can add up to 5, 10, or 20 people (depending on your plan) to "my circle" which gives you unlimited calls to these people within the united states.
#5 Old 05-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Banned

nokia are really decent phones.
#6 Old 05-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

T-Mobile

Free Motorola Razor

Plan:

300 minutes nationwide.

$29.95 a month.
#7 Old 05-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I use a Blackberry Pearl, but I think that is way more than you need. I am basically attached to my phone, I mean probably a third of my posts on here are done through my phone. Good luck finding something basic.
#8 Old 05-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Beginner

Before I got this leash from work (Blackberry 8703) I used a Motorola KRZR and I loved it. The Motorola's and Nokias are also great for syncing to your computer, even a Mac!
#9 Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosev14 View Post

I use a Blackberry Pearl, but I think that is way more than you need. I am basically attached to my phone, I mean probably a third of my posts on here are done through my phone. Good luck finding something basic.

Same here. Before my bb I've had the plan I've recommended above
#10 Old 05-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Another vote for a pay-as-you-go. Since the OP says she'll be using it minimally, she may not want to get into a contract situation.
#11 Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Another vote for a pay-as-you-go. Since the OP says she'll be using it minimally, she may not want to get into a contract situation.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. So how do I go about doing this? Pretend I'm your senile grandmother when explaining please.
#12 Old 05-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I suggest Virgin Mobile. They have plans that get you a fixed amount of minutes, but it doesn't involve a contract. You can see their plans here.

For Virgin Mobile, you basically need to go to Wal-Mart or Target and pick up a phone. They range in price from $15- $100. From there, you'll need to activate it which means either calling a number or doing it online. You can then buy prepaid cards for service or just buy the minutes online. I've never had a Virgin Mobile phone, so I'm not 100% sure on the process.

#13 Old 05-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. So how do I go about doing this? Pretend I'm your senile grandmother when explaining please.

Katt pretty well summed it up. I use TracFone, which isn't fancy or anything.

I rarely talk on the phone so it works okay for me.

Basically you just need to find a phone (Target or someplace) and get a minutes card for it. You'll be able to activate it online or via a landline phone (it's very easy and just takes a few minutes). Once it's activated you'll just need to input the # from the back of the phone card into your phone and the minutes are sent electronically to your phone.

Long distance is free, so there's no worry there. I use mine for text messages more than actual conversation since it's so much quicker when I just need to say something like "I'm on my way" or "What time will you be here?".
#14 Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I would get then a ToGo Phone (I think is the name)

It's the non contract version of Cingular. There are some small and nice phones for $19.95 (the most less pricey) The coverage is nice and it works nationwide.

You can find this phone even at Family Dollar! No SS no credit checks... just turn the phone one, enter a pin and that's it. (Most of the times, these phones come loaded with $10 worth of minutes -100 minutes probably-)
#15 Old 05-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Another vote for Pay as you go!! It's the best way to go for someone using minimal minutes. DO NOT get pay as you go through a cell company though....it's a total rip off. I'm speaking as someone who was a corporate account exec for a wireless company...don't do it. Go to Target and buy a TracFone...best deal around IMHO. I'm not exactly sure about the traveling though. Make sure you double check your coverage area. Good Luck!! Peace & Love!!
#16 Old 05-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Having worked at RadioShack, I would have to recommend the AT&T Go phones. They are pay as you go, inexpensive, and on a nationwide network. Virgin Mobile is another decent choice. I have used their service and had good luck with it. They use the Sprint network. I would not bother with a contract until you actually want to use the cellphone on a more regular basis. At that point a contract does become more economical as paying by the minute does add up.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#17 Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I got a Tracfone and even figured out how to activate it and add minutes! Thanks everyone.
#18 Old 05-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I got a Tracfone and even figured out how to activate it and add minutes! Thanks everyone.

Which model did you end up getting? (Out of curiosity)

I've got the Motorola C261

http://www.tracfone.com/phone_details.jsp?model=TFC261

It's been pretty good. I liked my previous one a little better, it was a Nokia but I can't recall the model #.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page