Stupid questions : "insiders knowledge" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-22-2003, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Another spin off from here: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...616#post266616

This is the place where you can ask everything that you don't understand but seems common knowledge.

What ever you ask, you will get a serious answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2003, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, I'll start

Tame's by line says : "The Reverend Pimp" what's up with that?

Is he a reverend, and if yes, where is his church or is he really a pimp?

(I know the answer to at least one question but let's see if you know it too)
#3 Old 10-22-2003, 07:04 AM

What's up with the Kurm/Fish jokes? I never was a part of that and really don't get it.

Oh, and if you ever see me post about spanking I actually don't do that rather it's my way to try and lighten things up when they get too tense.
#4 Old 10-22-2003, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Oh, and if you ever see me post about spanking I actually don't do that rather it's my way to try and lighten things up when they get too tense.

Shhh, I'll never tell, baby, don't worry . . . .
#5 Old 10-22-2003, 07:41 AM

hehehehe....but newbies might ask about our "relationship" dear!
#6 Old 10-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

This was asked of you in the other thread 1Vegan, but I'm curious too, so I'll ask it here.

What's with the Alf avatar?

BTW, I chose Kimba coz he was my absolute hero when I was little. I adored him! A few year ago I did one of those daft enlightenment things and chose Kimba as one of my "life heroes". Not long after that I found a bunch of the vidoes at the store, so I thought, what the hey, and took them home and watched them, only to rediscover what I had forgotten. Kimba was a vegetarian!!! There's even a whole episode dedicated to "not eating your animal friends". Always knew Kimba rocked.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#7 Old 10-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, so what does ETA mean? I understand most abbreviations, but not that one. Actually, I'm sure there's another, but I can't remember it now.

Also, I know what veg*n means, but I always think it looks like a swear word.
#8 Old 10-22-2003, 08:24 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I always thought it meant "estimated time of arrival" but I've seen it in contexts where it sure don't mean that.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#9 Old 10-22-2003, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I might be wrong, but ALF could also be interpreted as 'Animal Liberation Front'.
#10 Old 10-22-2003, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I always thought it meant "estimated time of arrival" but I've seen it in contexts where it sure don't mean that.

Me too, that's why I ask. Is it to do with editing?
#11 Old 10-22-2003, 08:31 AM

ETA=Edited to Add
#12 Old 10-22-2003, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finlay View Post

I might be wrong, but ALF could also be interpreted as 'Animal Liberation Front'.

Duh! **smacks herself in the forehead**

Thanks Finlay
#13 Old 10-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

ETA=Edited to Add

Thanks, MsRuthie!
#14 Old 10-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Heart View Post

Ok, so what does ETA mean? I understand most abbreviations, but not that one. Actually, I'm sure there's another, but I can't remember it now.

I didn't know the answer to this until a couple of days ago myself. Whenever I can't figure out what an acronym means, I just pull on over to http://www.acronymfinder.com/ and check it out.
#15 Old 10-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Banned

I have a "stupid" question, but it has nothing to do with Veggieboards. Why do men call the restroom "the head"? I don't see the correlation.
#16 Old 10-22-2003, 03:04 PM

While I was looking for your answer Artichoke, I found this. Pretty funny Quotes from Bathroom Walls.
#17 Old 10-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

What is the deal with the Muh Hah HAh and Slut for Power thread? Apparently I'm not in the "know".

Oh yeah, Tame are you a Pimp or a Reverend?
#18 Old 10-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

What's up with the Kurm/Fish jokes? I never was a part of that and really don't get it.

It's because of those who eat fish while claiming they are vegetarian. I think it's ridiculous, because fish obviously aren't any type of vegetable, fruit, grain, etc., and it makes it difficult for actual vegetarians (who already have it difficult enough). I started making jokes about fish long ago at almost every opportunity and so now they are associated with me (some people here are reminded of me when they are asked if they eat fish ).

Also, during my 5 day break I asked that fish jokes be made on my behalf and..... well, I was not disappointed (to read it in all of its 7 page glory go to here).
#19 Old 10-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Rachael Ray has anchovies, chicken broth and fish sauce in her new vegetarian cookbook.

A shame she's such a doof, because the 'untainted' veg recipes in the book ROCK.
#20 Old 10-22-2003, 03:36 PM

Kurm,

On behalf of those of us who participated in the "fishing", I'm glad you enjoyed it. I can tell you that I know know fish names I didn't know before that thread.
#21 Old 10-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd also like to know why some people don't put anything in their profiles? Even some people who are regulars don't do this, and I get really disappointed when I want to find out where they're from or something.

Also eagerly awaiting the answer to monkeyandbunny's question....
#22 Old 10-22-2003, 05:48 PM

I believe the Slut for Power and Muhaha threads are a way to do a free for all posting. You know, usually within the threads you need to pretty much stay on topic with the exception of those two. With those two there really isn't a topic. It's more of a b/s session.
#23 Old 10-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:

While I was looking for your answer Artichoke, I found this. Pretty funny Quotes from Bathroom Walls.

Those are pretty funny!

I've even asked guys who I've heard call the restroom "the head" the same question, and they have no clue why. Disappointing...
#24 Old 10-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

As for calling the bathroom "the head", I think it's a Naval term. But I could be mistaken.

Slut For Power and Muah are both just free-form off-topic conversation threads. It's just a place to go post silly stuff or talk to others. I like to think of it as a time-delayed chat room, in that some of us aren't able to chat to each other real-time because of different schedule, but we can chat to each other in the thread.

Feel free to jump in whenever!

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#25 Old 10-22-2003, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

As for calling the bathroom "the head", I think it's a Naval term. But I could be mistaken.

Indeed it IS US Navy slang. I always THOUGHT that the term came from the shower head (you know, where the water comes out) but I might be wrong about that.
#26 Old 10-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Banned

Hmm... My sister was in the Navy. I'll have to ask her. There has to be an origin to the nickname; right?

Don't you hate it when you want to know something and can't find out?!!!
#27 Old 10-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyandbunny View Post

What is the deal with the Muh Hah HAh and Slut for Power thread? Apparently I'm not in the "know".

They are also a good place to get to know others.
#28 Old 10-22-2003, 07:08 PM

Why did VW shut down?

I'd only been a member there for about 4 months.. then it shut down.. and no one really said why...
#29 Old 10-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I removed a lot of stuff from my profile after I found out a friend of mine was a little nutty and I heard that he had been stalking other women I knew. It just made me more paranoid in general. However, I give away a lot of info about myself in my posts.

But I agree, I like to know people's ages and locations most.
#30 Old 10-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

Indeed it IS US Navy slang. I always THOUGHT that the term came from the shower head (you know, where the water comes out) but I might be wrong about that.

I thought it came from bulkhead, implying that it was oridginally just a corner between two structural sheets (probably of wood. Military slang can be rather long in the tooth)

Also, on the privicy thing, some people are not known to be veg*n, and would rather that it be kept that way, in thier local comunity. A second reason is that some people would rather not have who they are available on the internet, for fear of attracring the wrong sort of attention. A third possiblitiy is just because it's possible to be anonymous, so why not be? There can be other reasons too, but that's the three that strike me most.

Stuey!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page