Maybe getting a love bird...HELP!!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay so someone just offered my fiance and I a love bird. I haven't had a bird since i was 7 (parakeet) so I have no idea what this would entail. I'll list the specific questions i have but any input would be hugely appreciated.

1. Are they hard to care for?

2. Noisy?

3. Is another bird necessary right away or can it wait 6 months

4. How are they like as pets?

ETA We also have a mini daschund, would this combination be the worse idea ever or could it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't know there was any such thing as a lovebird. Just googled it.
#3 Old 04-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I already responded in the slut thread...I hadn't seen this yet.

I had a lovebird a few years back. She was really awesome!!! I miss her!!!

In answer to your questions, from my experience:

1. Are they hard to care for? I don't think they are hard to care for. They are messy. They leave seeds around the outside of the cage. And you have to keep the cage clean.

2. Noisy? My Jade was pretty noisy if she wanted attention and I didn't give it to her. I hand raised her from a baby so she was very attached to me. She did not have a mate so she treated me like I was "it". Which I pretty much wanted because I've been told if you want it to be attached to a family member, you shouldn't have two lovebirds.

3. Is another bird necessary right away or can it wait 6 months. I'm not sure about this one...are you saying you want to get it mate eventually?

4. How are they like as pets? Jade was extremelly affectionate and craved attention...lots of it. But that's what I loved about her. She would sit with me while I watched tv...she would eat with me. She would even eat out of the same dish/at the same time as my cat Mikey. They were so cute together.

I think it's good that you are giving this a lot of thought. It's really going to depend on the bird and it's personality as to whether or not it's a good idea for you to take it or not. Keep us posted!
#4 Old 04-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for your thoughts Karen! I asked about the mate because I didn't know when I asked that they could be happy alone. I'd always heard that they needed to be in groups. The more I read the more would like to adopt the bird but I'll have to sleep on whether right now is a good time for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page