300 pound inmate sues over weight loss - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
An inmate awaiting trial on a murder charge is suing the county, complaining he has lost more than 100 pounds because of the jailhouse menu.

Broderick Lloyd Laswell says he isn't happy that he's down to 308 pounds after eight months in the Benton County jail. He has filed a federal lawsuit complaining the jail doesn't provide inmates with enough food.

Full Story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I could see suing because a vegetarian inmate was obliged to eat meat or reach an unhealthfully low weight... but not for this.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it opens up some interesting questions. The article says the meals provide 3000 calories a day. A person of his size would likely lose weight on 3000 calories a day. So should the prison be obligated to provide enough food for him to maintain his current weight (or his previous, higher weight)? Or is it more responsible for them to help him lose weight - even if it is against his will? What about counseling? It's obviously very unhealthy to maintain such a high body weight. The fact that he is upset about his weight loss rather than happy about it raises some questions. (Of course, he's likely more upset about not getting to eat as much as he wants rather than the weight loss).
#4 Old 04-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Should health be a primary concern in a jail or prison? I think that's a question behind a lot of this.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Should health be a primary concern in a jail or prison? I think that's a question behind a lot of this.

I think that prisons should be responsible for the health of the inmates. Emotional, physical, mental, etc. Is the purpose of putting people in prison solely to punish them for their actions? Or is it also to help rehabilitate them so they can be functioning members of society when/if they are released?
#6 Old 04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

I think that prisons should be responsible for the health of the inmates. Emotional, physical, mental, etc. Is the purpose of putting people in prison solely to punish them for their actions? Or is it also to help rehabilitate them so they can be functioning members of society when/if they are released?

Those are the questions behind my post, too.

#7 Old 04-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Those are the questions behind my post, too.

#8 Old 04-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think the prison system is terrible right now. On the one hand, here in Canada, it is way to easy for those convicted of assault (child-sexual, spousal, any kind really) to get back out and there is no way that they've learned from the prison experience. On the other hand I think there should be more options for true rehab prisons where the inmates can get outside and work and play and live like in a normal village setting but they can't escape the village. The money from their work would go to pay for their "village". Troublemakers (the real kind) would be sent back to the normal prisons.

Also, restorative justice has been shown to be very effective and yet it isn't being used nearly enough.

I don't know what to make of this 300 lb guy.
#9 Old 04-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Good one dude - sue the county for not NOT keeping you in the obesity to which you've become accustomed

m8itcanw8.com
#10 Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

I think the prison system is terrible right now. On the one hand, here in Canada, it is way to easy for those convicted of assault (child-sexual, spousal, any kind really) to get back out and there is no way that they've learned from the prison experience. On the other hand I think there should be more options for true rehab prisons where the inmates can get outside and work and play and live like in a normal village setting but they can't escape the village. The money from their work would go to pay for their "village". Troublemakers (the real kind) would be sent back to the normal prisons.

Also, restorative justice has been shown to be very effective and yet it isn't being used nearly enough.

I don't know what to make of this 300 lb guy.

That's always been my gripe with prisons too. Their main concern seems to be with just confining people rather than rehabilitating them. And it seems a lot of people who are in prison for fairly innocuous crimes (like being caught in possession of marijuana) are picking up bad habits in prison and then being released. I've heard of people who have gone into prison for non-violent crimes and were different, violent people when they came out. And of course, were re-incarcerated for violent crimes after the fact.
#11 Old 04-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

He's just cranky because he's hungry.

Seriously though? 3000 calories is plenty. Jails should definitely feed people enough to maintain their health, not necessarily their current weight (if it's unhealthy).

It also just might be a ploy for money/attention.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#12 Old 04-29-2008, 01:05 PM

At this point, this has nothing to do with punishment vs rehabilitation. He has yet to go to trial.
#13 Old 04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Banned

hahaha...."you are making me more healthy and i dont like it!"
#14 Old 04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I think 3000 calories is more than enough healthwise. You certainly don't *need* more than that in a day to live (unless you're extremely athletic and run a marathon a day, but I don't think this guy is or does... just a guess), and theoretically the money for his food comes out of our taxes.

I say nay. ^_^
#15 Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Someone on another forum I read brought up a point that might be valid. I can't be bothered to do the math, but apparently he lost a lot of weight in a very short period of time, which can be unhealthy. I don't know what that can do to you, but that's why he's having dizzy spells.

I agree that it's a really stupid thing to sue over, though.
#16 Old 04-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

Someone on another forum I read brought up a point that might be valid. I can't be bothered to do the math, but apparently he lost a lot of weight in a very short period of time, which can be unhealthy. I don't know what that can do to you, but that's why he's having dizzy spells.

I agree that it's a really stupid thing to sue over, though.

Well if you are bothered to do the math (), he's lost roughly 3 pounds per week, not an unreasonable weight loss and about what you would expect for someone of his size. People who've had gastric bypass lose weight a lot faster than that after their surgery.
#17 Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I could see suing because a vegetarian inmate was obliged to eat meat or reach an unhealthfully low weight... but not for this.

If you think vegetarians should be provided with food the prefer but have no physiological requirement for, why not other people who have food preferences?
#18 Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

If you think vegetarians should be provided with food the prefer but have no physiological requirement for, why not other people who have food preferences?

What if the person avoids animal products for religious reasons?

ETA: And there's a difference between "food preferences" (which is different from foods you're morally opposed to eating) and this case.
#19 Old 04-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Is this a serious article? Why is someone allowed to sue for this? I hope he's using his own cash and not taxpayers. "Starved to death"? On 3000 calories? Um.... ok. If anything he should be pleased he's losing weight. 300lb is his current weight, he started out at over 400lb. He should get extra time for frivolous lawsuits.

"Oh my God! I'm becoming healthy! Someone make it stop!!!!"

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#20 Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

He's getting for free what a lot of people have to pay for, why complain?
#21 Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Money?

#22 Old 04-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I would have thought in prison he could come up with some more convincing grievance to use for that than "I'm not as dangerously obese as I used to be". Then again, he can't be too good at planning if he got caught.
#23 Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

From the Smoking Gun

"Laswell claims, is reflected in miniscule biscuits and cake sizes, the small amount of chips accompanying sandwiches, and the occasional provision of "2 small cookies." And just in case anyone thought he was only concerned about junk food, the accused killer also complains about the "drizzle of dressing" placed on his "small side of lettuce."

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...arkansas2.html

#24 Old 04-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

He really must be dying...
#25 Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

From the Smoking Gun

"Laswell claims, is reflected in miniscule biscuits and cake sizes, the small amount of chips accompanying sandwiches, and the occasional provision of "2 small cookies." And just in case anyone thought he was only concerned about junk food, the accused killer also complains about the "drizzle of dressing" placed on his "small side of lettuce."

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...arkansas2.html

Did you see the mug shots? He looks so much better, and healthier now compared to 8 months ago.
#26 Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What if the person avoids animal products for religious reasons?

ETA: And there's a difference between "food preferences" (which is different from foods you're morally opposed to eating) and this case.

It doesn't surprise me that you think vegetarianism is a reasonable thing to value and that maintaining a high weight is a silly thing to value.

Most people consider vegetarianism to be silly though.
#27 Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It doesn't surprise me that you think vegetarianism is a reasonable thing to value and that maintaining a high weight is a silly thing to value.

You didn't answer my question
#28 Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's not silly, it's unhealthy.
#29 Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do you really think he "values" being overweight? It's not about his weight, it's about the amount of food he's getting, which he perceives to not be enough.

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you eat meat?
#30 Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

No, it's not about the amount of food he's receiving. It's about trying to make a quick buck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page