#1 Old 04-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
As Mad Libs turn 50, play an exclusive game

Read about the game’s history and play a _____ one about TODAY

By Leonard Stern

TODAY

updated 1:56 p.m. PT, Wed., April. 16, 2008

Do you remember playing Mad Libs as a kid? As the zany word game turns 50, TODAY has the story about how the game came to be. Plus, author Leonard Stern also wrote an exclusive Mad Lib about the TODAY show just for TODAYshow.com readers (see next page). But first, here's an excerpt about the game's history from “The Best of Mad Libs.”

The creation of Mad Libs is directly linked to my inability to spell hyperbole in a seventh-grade spelling bee. Humiliated and embarrassed beyond words, I ran home to take refuge in the family dictionary, determined to learn the correct spelling and exact meaning of as many words as humanly possible. The dictionary became my constant companion — my roommate. Even today, it’s by my bedside, and on sleepless nights I make a point of learning at least one new word. Last night it was orthogonal.

The first sighting of Mad Libs happened in 1953, and it remains indelibly etched in my mind. I was in my New York City apartment overlooking Central Park working on a Jackie Gleason Honeymooners script. Actually, I was sitting and staring at the typewriter (I still use one), searching for the precisely right adjective to describe the nose of Ralph Kramden’s new boss. After wallowing in clichés for 30 minutes, I was ready to throw in the thesaurus when Roger Price, my best friend, fellow wordaholic, and the most original thinker I’d ever met — one of a kind of which there was no kind — showed up at my apartment.

rest of the story here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24160656&GT1=43001

I LOVED these!

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Me too! Used to have a lot of fun with these as a kid
#3 Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, the many moments of childhood hilarity I owe to Mad Libs! They're good for teaching kids the parts of speech too. My college students today who can't identify what a noun or a verb is surely could have benefited from these...
#4 Old 04-19-2008, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been thinking about them lately for some reason. I kept wondering if I could set up a website that would be fun enough to play this with, or if the fun has been killed by the fancy computer age.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#5 Old 04-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Awww...

I thought it was a fun'n'games fill-in-the-blank...

I was going to say "Happy 50th BabyDaddy!"

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#6 Old 04-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

ha ha ha--I used to love these. e always used to use the words pee or nitro-glycerin if it asked for a liquid and thought we were being very naughty.

These really are a great educational game to teach parts of speech (hmmm....thinking about trying to make some of these up for my students)

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page