Learning to juggle - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I've decided to try my hand at juggling. It's been suggested that it could help my adhd plus it would be a wicked skill to have. A quick search turned up this site. It looks to be a good place to start. How many of you juggle? Any tips/tricks/resources for a desperately uncoordinated beginner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Talk to Fromper.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 04-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I was going to just pm him but I thought that there might be other jugglers on here or other people who want to learn.
#4 Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 PM

Hey, I'm by no means a good juggler, but I did learn how to juggle 3 items (or 2 in one hand) a long time ago. I remember that I initially learned with bean bags. Later, in a PE class in middle school, we "learned" how to juggle with bunched up cloths, or something like that the would slowly float down, so it was like "slow motion" juggling to get the basics.

From what I remember, the hankerchief/cloth juggling was a lot harder than just using real beanbags, so I'd recommend not starting with items that have a lot of air resistance...
#5 Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

no advice but good luck

my brother in law (though never diagnosed adhd as far as i know) always has had an insane amount of energy. his hands are always ALWAYS moving lol. he took up juggling and is pretty good at it. he has the patience to stick with stuff like that and it keeps his hands busy. he also took up drumming and without any lessons got really good really fast, seems he's a natural. he's always been into acting and miming also, combination of his skills landed him in the blue man group!

it seems like something small and trivial but something as simple as juggling can make a huge difference, can really help you learn to focus your energy

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#6 Old 04-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

dirkduck, the slow motion would drive me mad! It hadn't occured to me to try that but now I know never ever to do so.

Ladyfaile, It's awesome that your brother is in blue man group! I love them!! Did you get your username from wheel of time?
#7 Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 AM

I juggle! It took me a little while to learn, but here's some helpful hints:

- First start with one ball and get used to the motion of throwing it from one hand to the other. Next move on to two balls. Throw one ball, pause, throw the other and concentrate only on catching that first ball. Let the other one fall to the ground if you want. Once that's comfortable, work on catching both balls. There's a rhythm to juggling. Throw, throw. Catch, catch. Once you feel good about that, add the third ball. Practice doing your throw, throw catch, catch with that third ball just sitting in one of your hands. Get used to having all three balls in your hands without throwing them all. Then move up to throwing all three balls, but only catching two. This really helped me. I would throw all of the balls, but only concentrate on needing to catch two. Once you have a good rhythm with that, try catching that last ball.

- Juggle in front of your bed so when you drop the balls, you don't have to reach all the way down to the floor to get them!

- Juggle in front of a wall so that you don't keep leaning forward and throwing the balls out, instead of in front of you.

- Use bean bag type items so they don't roll when you drop them

- BE PATIENT (And don't try to learn to juggle with golf balls!)

Hopefully that all made sense.
#8 Old 04-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I know *how* to juggle and can manage about 3 circles (technical word?!) before failing miserably.

itd be really fun to learn!

stop making me want to =(
#9 Old 04-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the tips everyone! I thought I had a bean bag around here but I can't seem to find it so juggling will have to wait another day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page