How to get rid of the hiccups... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

(or hiccoughs, if you prefer )

I've heard of several home remedies, but I'm wondering what y'all have found to be effective.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite trick is to drink a glass of water from the opposite end.
#3 Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 PM

I've never found anything to be effective except time. Sigh.
#4 Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

focusing my breathing usually helps quite a bit; at least makes them not happen as often or hurt as bad as they sometimes can.

i just slow my breathing down a lot.
#5 Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Hold your breath...it's the only thing that works for me...or the water one. That has worked too!!
#6 Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I hang upside down (hang over the edge of the couch, bed, etc.) and either drink water or hold my breath or both. It usually works for me!
#7 Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

The upside down drinking works for me everytime!
#8 Old 04-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Get scared?
#9 Old 04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG My secret obsession! I love hearing everyone's unique ways of curing themselves of hiccups... cause I'm wierd like that I could post a zillion ones but here's some of the funnier and more useful ones I've picked up over the years:

Peanutbutter. Put a big spoonfull in your mouth and try and swallow it little by little.

Sugar water. Same principal. Eat a big spoonfull of sugar and then take a shot of water and try and let it disolve.

Head bashing. Sit under the dinning room table and everytime you hiccup you'll hit your head and somehow this causes you to stop... or the headache wins. I dunno.

Eat a lemon. Take a big bite out a juicy lemon and the "pucker face" you'll make will cure you.

If someone you know has hiccups, to help them you can randomly ask them what their middle name is, especially good if they know you know this because they forget they have hiccups and focus on something else. You can also ask them when the last time they saw a rabbit was.

The only one for me that works is the peanutbutter one and it never fails me
#10 Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh...bb, I've not heard of several of those.

Taking long, slow, very deep breaths, as Jenna described is generally what does the trick for me. Failing that, breathing into a bag (like when you're hyperventilating), or the upside down water thing.

When I worked at the hospital, one of my "moms", a nurse, swore by the sugar, but swallowed quickly (or diluted in water, for babies). She used it several times for herself and for her munchkin, as they were both prone to hiccups.

That peanut butter one is interesting. I have my doubts about the question and answer session though.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never found anything that works. I get them really bad, they shake my whole body.
#12 Old 04-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Swallowing a spoonful of granulated sugar always worked for us when I was little.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#13 Old 04-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Bof
Banned

I put my mac on and go round and 'flash' the sufferer. It works every time.
#14 Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Peanut butter can be somewhat effective. The only way to effectively "cure" hiccups is time. Just wait and they will go away. And try not to think about them either.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#15 Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Eat a lemon. Take a big bite out a juicy lemon and the "pucker face" you'll make will cure you

Heeeeeeeeeeeeey

I thought I invented that!

Was at a pub hiccuping, ate the lemon from my drink - magic theyre gone!

but noooooo someone else got there first, haha.

oh wells

apparently sticking your finger up your bum works, they did a scientific study and everything.. any volunteers?
#16 Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Hold your breath while taking ten small swallows of water. (breathe again after the 10th swallow ) Works every time.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#17 Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If someone you know has hiccups, to help them you can randomly ask them what their middle name is, especially good if they know you know this because they forget they have hiccups and focus on something else. You can also ask them when the last time they saw a rabbit was.

The first time I heard about this remedy, I had the hiccups. My neighbor asked me what color my underwear was. I was so confused I just looked at her and was like "what?". She repeated the question. I stared at her, wondering what that had to do with anything. Then she asked "how are your hiccups" and I realized they were gone.

I've also heard the diversion used in other ways. Like saying "what are hiccups" when someone states they have the hiccups.

Sadly it doesn't work every time. Especially when the person knows what you are doing
#18 Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Ooh...bb, I've not heard of several of those.

Taking long, slow, very deep breaths, as Jenna described is generally what does the trick for me. Failing that, breathing into a bag (like when you're hyperventilating), or the upside down water thing.

When I worked at the hospital, one of my "moms", a nurse, swore by the sugar, but swallowed quickly (or diluted in water, for babies). She used it several times for herself and for her munchkin, as they were both prone to hiccups.

That peanut butter one is interesting. I have my doubts about the question and answer session though.

Everyone has to find their way and technically I don't think you can actually cure what (I think) is just a spasm. Cute story about the middle name question though. My Husband got the hiccups a few days ago, and I offered to go get him some peanut butter. He said no thanks but they just seemed to be the painful kind of hiccups, ya know, real low and ouchie.

So I quickly look at him all confuzzled, and say, "Baby... what's your middle name?" He looked at me, astonished, that I didn't remember this simple thing about him. He started giving me flack about it, how could I not know etc. and I took guesses that were deliberantly incorrect. Finally I laughed and looked at him and asked how his hiccups were. He said, "they're gone but who cares?! My wife doesn't know my name!" When I finally let him in on it (and that I of course know his name) he was really glad they were gone and amazed that I actually pulled it off cause I suck at tricking him

I can sometimes get people to forget about their hiccups long enough with weird questions that they go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

The first time I heard about this remedy, I had the hiccups. My neighbor asked me what color my underwear was. I was so confused I just looked at her and was like "what?". She repeated the question. I stared at her, wondering what that had to do with anything. Then she asked "how are your hiccups" and I realized they were gone.

I've also heard the diversion used in other ways. Like saying "what are hiccups" when someone states they have the hiccups.

Sadly it doesn't work every time. Especially when the person knows what you are doing

That's a good one!! "What color is your underwear?"... I have to remember that And yeah, it won't work if they know what you're doing so now if anyone tries to help someone out who has read this thread by asking random questions, it won't help
#19 Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Hold your breath while taking ten small swallows of water. (breathe again after the 10th swallow ) Works every time.

Ditto. That's what I've been doing for years, and it's worked fine. (ok, maybe I take 13 swallows, but it's essentially the same).
#20 Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

My dad is crazy, and goes nuts if anyone in the house ever got the hiccups...so, I learned how to make them STOP ASAP!!!

The trick is, to stimulate the soft palate in the rear part of the roof of your mouth. MOST of the so-called 'home remedies' do just this, one way or the other... Like, drinking water funny ways, spoonful of sugar, etc...

My hiccups instantly end when I stimulate my soft palate one of these ways:

**Ice-cold beverage...drinking quickly and steady over soft palate to cause 'brain freeze'

**Actually, ANYTHING that causes 'brain freeze' works pretty well.

**Rubbing my toungue really hard over the soft palate.

**Pushing my thumb against the soft palate.

**Holding an ice cube against the soft palate (not a good idea of someone is nearby who might make you laugh)

**Once, I even sprinkled a bunch of salt on my toungue, and rubbed the roughness over the soft palate.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#21 Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Drink ginger ale! Works every time!
#22 Old 04-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Heeeeeeeeeeeeey

I thought I invented that!

Was at a pub hiccuping, ate the lemon from my drink - magic theyre gone!

but noooooo someone else got there first, haha.

oh wells

apparently sticking your finger up your bum works, they did a scientific study and everything.. any volunteers?

Well at least you got rid of them. This guy had them for almost 69 years! The lemon trick actually came from this guy I knew who's Irish grandmother swore by it. I'd never heard of the guy who was cured by uh.... a bum massage but you're right, there was a study and everything. I just looked it up. How weird but I guess it's good he got rid of his hiccups
#23 Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 PM

eating something works for me.
#24 Old 04-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Soda. Every single time it's worked for me. I think it's the carbonation. I used to change my breathing style, but it randomly stopped working.

Another one: If your friend has hiccups, go up to them and say "Let me hear you hiccup." Very effective too.
#25 Old 04-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

focusing my breathing usually helps quite a bit; at least makes them not happen as often or hurt as bad as they sometimes can.

i just slow my breathing down a lot.

Thank you, that worked

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#26 Old 04-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Rub your diaphram and breathe in an out very slowly and tell your diaphram to relax and stop jumping. My dad used to say it was an aggitated diaphram that caused them and if you could reason with it, they would stop.

Once in the queue at the bank when I had a particularly vicious and ongoing bout with hiccups a distinguished bussinessman in a suit and a porkpie hat with a briefcase jumped at out me and shouted "Silly Buggers!!!" and I was so shocked they went away.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#27 Old 04-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Vegan Police Officer

What works for me every single time without exception is taking TINY TINY (and I mean really really REALLY tiny) sips of water.
#28 Old 04-11-2008, 06:22 AM

I take a very deep breath and down a glass of water. Works every time for me
#29 Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

Rub your diaphram and breathe in an out very slowly and tell your diaphram to relax and stop jumping. My dad used to say it was an aggitated diaphram that caused them and if you could reason with it, they would stop.

Once in the queue at the bank when I had a particularly vicious and ongoing bout with hiccups a distinguished bussinessman in a suit and a porkpie hat with a briefcase jumped at out me and shouted "Silly Buggers!!!" and I was so shocked they went away.

That's awesome!
#30 Old 04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sugar water. Same principal. Eat a big spoonfull of sugar and then take a shot of water and try and let it disolve.

That's what I do but I down a whole big glass of water w/o breathing.

Sometimes it takes 2 times but it's pretty reliable for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page