Good 'Ol Home Remedies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Someone in another thread was worried about cat hair on their clothes and I thought a home remedy thread would be useful to us all. Please post any home remedies you know of:

To remove tar spots on cars, make a paste of baking soda and water, scrub on gently with a soft cloth or sponge and remove spots.

Use dishwashing soap to clean windows (2 tablespoons in a gallon of water, scrub on and squeegee off)

For fake jewelry: Coat it with 2 coats of clear nailpolish to protect the finish

Use dryer sheets to pick up pet fur

Used dryer sheets can be used to clean windows lint free

Use dryer sheets to remove lint

Use toothpaste to bleach tiles and white porcelain wares

Toothpaste can also be used to polish fine wood and glass scratches

Use shaving cream to get stains out of carpet and clothing

Use shaving cream to clean mirrors (use a soft cloth) - even repels steam!

To remove silver tarnish - make a hot bath with water and salt or baking soda, placing aluminum foil on the bottom. Keep the bath hot. Dip the silver in the bath for 5-10 seconds and remove. The tarnish will be gone.

You can use white vinegar to clean chrome fixtures.

Carefully (away from heat or flame) use kerosene to remove oil stains.

Baking soda and water with or without lemon juice is useful to clean ovens and stovetops.

Dip a clean cloth in milk and rub on vinyl table cloths or furniture to remove ball point pen marks.

Use old mesh bags (the kind onions come in) to scrub bathrooms.

Keep old spray bottles to mix up and dilute strong cleaners.

To touch up a scratch on mahogany or dark cherry wood furniture, dip a cotton swab in iodine and rub into the scratch. To touch up unshellacked maple or light cherry, mix equal parts iodine and denatured alcohol. Test the color of the scratch cover in an inconspicuous sport, especially before using on light woods.

To prevent odors in picnic coolers, wash out the cooler and let it dry in the sun. Then place an opened box of baking soda inside. After the winter, it'll still smell fresh.

Baking soda boxes, opened, also keep odors out of drawers, the fridge, closets, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Someone in another thread was worried about cat hair on their clothes and I thought a home remedy thread would be useful to us all. Please post any home remedies you know of:

For fake jewelry: Coat it with 2 coats of clear nailpolish to protect the finish

Use dryer sheets to pick up pet fur

w00t!

That's awesome! Thanks for posting that.

Hmmm... let's see... home remedies.

Put vitamin E oil on cuts, scratches.

Take some Eucalyptus, Fir Needle or any sort of camphor-based essential oil and dab it on a Kleenex (tissue) and keep it in your pocket on days that you are congested. Anytime you need to be opened up, just breathe into it.
#3 Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Got any for getting spraypaint off a carpet?! haha (if not anyone got any spare beige carpet!?)
#4 Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Got any for getting spraypaint off a carpet?! haha (if not anyone got any spare beige carpet!?)

Try the shaving cream idea...see if it works.
#5 Old 04-10-2008, 12:00 PM

Gosh, as a single 20-something male some of these tips are great. ANy idea how to get wax out of the carpet? had a little accident in a few places with over ambitious candles.
#6 Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrunner View Post

Gosh, as a single 20-something male some of these tips are great. ANy idea how to get wax out of the carpet? had a little accident in a few places with over ambitious candles.

What you'll need:

Either a brown paper bag or really absorbent paper towels

Iron

-Set iron to lowest setting (warm)

-Place bag or paper towel over spill

-Set iron on top of bag/towel

-The iron will melt the wax and the bag/towel will soak it up

*You may need to do it a few times but it should work

*If you use a bag make sure it has no printing on it, the color may transfer to the carpet

*You will need to move around the bag or grab a new paper towel as the one you're using absorbs the wax. When you get to a new spot use a fresh piece.

Good Luck!!
#7 Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

So not cool... VB crapped out on me after I responded.

To clean showers/tubs... baking soda + vinegar + scrubber!

Before and After.
#8 Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

..Someone in another thread was worried about cat hair on their clothes...

I know a decent skunk odor removal remedy that we tell people to do at work ((and-yes, tomato juice baths are an old-wives's tale!)), just not 'offa the top of my head. So, stay tuned...

...another incredibly insightful Scorpius post....

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#9 Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

toothpaste (not gel) shines sterling silver really well and leaves my earings with a minty smell. ha ha

a can of coke poured in your toilet and left over night and then swished around with a brush the next day cleans a toilet really well.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#10 Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Or, to clean the errosion off your car battery, baking soda and warm water works wonders
#11 Old 04-11-2008, 12:37 PM

by the way guys, I cleaned some trouble spots in the carpet with shaving cream this morning. I'm having an open house this weekend, so I hope that shaving cream gets those spots out! I'll keep y'all updated
#12 Old 04-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

If it does, will you come over to my house and help me with my spot problems?
#13 Old 04-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

If it does, will you come over to my house and help me with my spot problems?

Of course. I'm here for your spots whenever you need me.
#14 Old 04-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Of course. I'm here for your spots whenever you need me.

YAY! Are you near California right now?
#15 Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:

YAY! Are you near California right now?

nope, not for a few months. I'll give you a ring when it gets closer. I'm expecting some yummy vegan food in exchange for me taking care of your spots, btw.
#16 Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have the flu, take off your clothes and wrap yourself in newspaper.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#17 Old 04-12-2008, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=sarahjayn1980]You can also sometimes use Coke (not Diet Coke - no generic) to pour on your battery terminals. It can help get a little extra juice out of a dead battery. (Note: pour it on when the car is off, then wait a few seconds, then start the car.) QUOTE]

OMG! I used to have car that used to just froth battery acid and would conk out while you were driving and I always carried a 6 pack of coke with me so if it conked out I could pour a coke and get back on the road. It was such a crap car, but I loved it so. Probably a death trap, but it was my first car and so it has a special place in my heart.

#18 Old 04-12-2008, 03:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

How does this help? I was always told if you have flu take a hot bath with ginger root in it to sweat the toxins out and then wrap up in your towel and wrap in a blanket and sweat all through the night and then it would be gone by the morning. Never tried it though.

#19 Old 04-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Companion-animal related ((what can I say, its the nature of the buisiness )), but still pretty helpful::

What can I mix up at home for a skunk remedy mixture?

Mix 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide with 1/3 cup of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of liquid soap (ex. Dawn,

Joy, etc). This breaks up the oils in the skunk spray and allows the other ingredients in the solution to do their stuff. You let this set on the animal for 10-20 minutes. The solution should be rinsed off with warm water. You can then shampoo as usual if needed.

Non-pet related::

Using a cloth rag and some Windex to clean up scratched skipping CDs.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#20 Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I hear vinegar can be used for hundreds of different benefits. I'm getting a book about it for my birthday in May so I'll know more about that in the future.
#21 Old 04-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

nope, not for a few months. I'll give you a ring when it gets closer. I'm expecting some yummy vegan food in exchange for me taking care of your spots, btw.

Sounds like a fair trade. You're a vegan right? So you eat chicken and fish?

Quote:

I'll have to try that one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

I hear vinegar can be used for hundreds of different benefits. I'm getting a book about it for my birthday in May so I'll know more about that in the future.

YAY! When in May is your birthday?
#22 Old 04-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

How does this help? I was always told if you have flu take a hot bath with ginger root in it to sweat the toxins out and then wrap up in your towel and wrap in a blanket and sweat all through the night and then it would be gone by the morning. Never tried it though.

Quote:

I'll have to try that one...

I don't recommend it. It's a Bolivian home remedy, probably rooted in the experiences of people who only had one or two changes of clothes, and they didn't want to risk getting vomit on their clothes, so when they got sick they would wrap themselves in newspaper. If you have enough changes of clothes or don't mind washing vomit off clothes, the newspaper should not be necessary.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#23 Old 04-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I don't recommend it. It's a Bolivian home remedy, probably rooted in the experiences of people who only had one or two changes of clothes, and they didn't want to risk getting vomit on their clothes, so when they got sick they would wrap themselves in newspaper. If you have enough changes of clothes or don't mind washing vomit off clothes, the newspaper should not be necessary.

I was totally kidding If I ever do decide to do it, I'll definately send you pictures! (It's going to take quite a few margaritas for that)

Hmmm... very interesting. Theory or something you read about?
#24 Old 04-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I was totally kidding If I ever do decide to do it, I'll definately send you pictures! (It's going to take quite a few margaritas for that)

Hmmm... very interesting. Theory or something you read about?

Something I heard about from several people in Bolivia.

#25 Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

I like interesting facts/stories like that I'm all about the random stuff!
#26 Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 PM

What would be the best to get smudges and scuffs off my painted walls? I saw a magic eraser type thing in the store? The packaging said I would be amazed at the amount of uses it had. Big claims.
#27 Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

I LOVE THE MAGIC ERASER! Give it a try. You can get the generic brand too, but I'm not sure if they work as well. It really cleans grout between tiles too!
#28 Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 PM

omg veggieboards is like a one-stop answer to everything!
#29 Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

I know! One day... actually, it was the day before I left for Michigan... I went on a cleaning frenzy and took 2 brand new magic erasers to my bathroom. Used them all up and had a VERY nice looking bathroom at the end It cleaned most of the marks on the cabinets/drawers/doors. I also use them on the front of the dishwasher and stove. Works well on the refridgerator too. Heck, they're good for just about everything!
#30 Old 04-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What would be the best to get smudges and scuffs off my painted walls? I saw a magic eraser type thing in the store? The packaging said I would be amazed at the amount of uses it had. Big claims.

It definitely works wonders for cleaning but be careful if you ever have kids in the house. Make sure you keep them out of their reach (duh...but I'm just sayin') because kids have been known to rub them on their body and they cause chemical burns...scary stuff!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page