Health reasons someone can't go veg? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Are there any common health reasons someone couldn't go veg? I was talking with one of my omnivore friends about vegetarianism, and she mentioned hearing that someone CAN'T suddenly go veg*n if they have heart problems, that it could bring on a heart attack or something like that. I couldn't reply at the time, because I was speechless, racking my brain for any logic for or against the claim. I've never heard of anything like that.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

There might be something for not drastically changing your diet overnight -- no matter what it is, as it might alter your body's normal functioning or something. And if you drastically alter the nutrients you have by eating bad (such as I'm sure many veg*n's did when they first started), you could put excess strain on your body that if you have a pre-existing condition it might cause problems.

But as I said, I'd think it'd apply for any drastic overnight change for eating.
#3 Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm, well, that makes sense. it's probably easier on the body to make changes gradually. but the meat eater with the bad heart would probably be eating veg foods already anyway, so they wouldn't necessarily have to introduce all new foods at once.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#4 Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't think of any. I've seen almost every excuse debunked successfully either online or in books.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#5 Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I think if somebody had a problem with iron absorption or iron storage then potentially they may need to continue eating meat, as the iron found in meat is a different form than that found in veges...

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#6 Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

They might be better off with a supplement though, as the vast majority of people who suffer from iron deficiency are eaters of red meat.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#7 Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

well, i've never heard of that one, but i do know people who can't be veg because of severe food allergies, severe metabolic problems, and related.

i also know people who should be veg for these reasons!
#8 Old 04-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

The only thing that I can think of that would possibly be a problem suddenly going to a healthy plant-based diet is if they're on meds for bp, diabetes, cholesterol or the like. Your body starts to recover very quickly if you make a radical healthy dietary change and amounts of medication that were appropriate on a typical SAD will be harmful and potentially fatal on a lowfat, whole food plant diet. Tapering off and eliminating certain meds must be done with a doctor. For example, Dr McDougall (off the top of my head here) often reduces insulin by half on the second day for his patients and has 90% and more Type II diabetes off all meds within two weeks because they do not need meds any more. It can be that fast.

Sounds like an excuse to me. ;-) Even if there are some allergies, it's a question of finding which plant foods to eat, not a reason to keep eating meat/dairy.
#9 Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister suffers from hyperthyroidism. She was vegetarian for a while but reverted to meat because 'doctor' told her she needs complete protein. Plus, she is allergic to soy, and thinks soy may have contributed to the thyroid disorder. Doctor also told her that 'animals were put here for us'.
#10 Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, allergies do make things more difficult. I know that from personal experience. And a soy intolerance/allergy is pretty inconvenient for a veg. Coupled with Celiac or something like that would make eating pretty challenging.

#11 Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

well, i've never heard of that one, but i do know people who can't be veg because of severe food allergies, severe metabolic problems, and related.

i also know people who should be veg for these reasons!

I have a friend that is allergic to almost everything food related. Rather than a list of things he can not eat, it is usually easier to say what he can eat. Some of those things are fish, rice, and sometimes bananas.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page