Best Vodka - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

I like to mix drinks and my alcohol collection is missing one key ingredient: vodka! I'm hoping to buy some nice vodka, not too expensive, but not too cheap either. Any suggestions?

I've read a little bit online about the different kinds, but am finding mixed reviews. This seems to be a great review. I don't take shots, it would be used just for mixing. I've read that Smirnoff would be fine for that, but am hesitant. I bought some tiny bottles of Absolut (Pear and Mandrin) today and from the tiny bit of the Mandrin I've had, it's pretty good. I'm not a heavy drinker, never been drunk before, but I really enjoy mixing

Pricing, Smirnoff runs at about $12 for the regular size while Absolut is $22. Worth the difference? Let me know, I'm hoping to buy this tonight!

Also, flavored or regular?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Grey Goose. It's expensive, though.

I do like Cosmopolitans or Lemon Drops made with Absolut.

Skye is okay for mixed drinks.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 02-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Kettle One is great

If you want a good martini vodka go for Three Olive

If you want a straight vodak for mixing Smirnoff will do the trick or Stoli.

I bartended for alot of years and love mixed vodka drinks but would only drink Irish or Scotch whiskey straight.
#4 Old 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

I bartended for alot of years and love mixed vodka drinks but would only drink Irish or Scotch whiskey straight.

Do you like Crown Royal on the rocks?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Drinking is not my forte, but I like any vodka with OJ... I cant do JD anymore since I blacked out...
#6 Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I do, but I would kill for a Jameson's neat right now...
#7 Old 02-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Bushmill's?

#8 Old 02-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Indeed, btw I am in a much better mood tonight.
#9 Old 02-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

#10 Old 02-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Now its even better....

Anyone ever try a caucasion (white russian) with a non dairy milk? I am tempted to go make one!
#11 Old 02-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I prefer good ol' Canadian Whiskey.

Can't do vodka, though. It doesn't like me much.

Though it is good w/Mtn. Dew and/or Red Bull. But then you get wicked ****ed up.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#12 Old 02-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Anyone ever try a caucasion (white russian) with a non dairy milk? I am tempted to go make one!

Soy creamer and coconut milk, Baby!!!

#13 Old 02-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Soy creamer and coconut milk, Baby!!!

That sounds so damn good....Looks like a trip to the store is around the corner.

#14 Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I like Grey Goose. It's expensive, though.

I do like Cosmopolitans or Lemon Drops made with Absolut.

Skye is okay for mixed drinks.

I've heard that Grey Goose is excellent. Mark's Mom used it in Penne Alla Vodka and it was SOOO delicious! The recipe came with an article in her magazine that said they tested many different kinds of vodka and Grey Goose won the best taste award (for this specific recipe). I know it's about $30 for a regular sized bottle.

I've never had a Cosmo or Lemon Drop before, but I've heard good things. I've tried 2 different Martinis before and they were horrible... it was like drinking rubbing alcohol. Maybe it was bad quality alcohol or something... just WAYYY to strong.

Thanks for your input
#15 Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Kettle One is great

If you want a good martini vodka go for Three Olive

If you want a straight vodak for mixing Smirnoff will do the trick or Stoli.

Ketel One was one of the ones I was considering. It seems affordable and got good reviews.

Smirnoff and Stoli were on my list too.

Are Martinis suppose to burn your throat so horribly that you can't talk for a couple seconds?
#16 Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Should I buy flavored or regular?
#17 Old 02-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Ciroc and Absolut Citron.
#18 Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Should I buy flavored or regular?

What kind of drinks are you planning on making?

#19 Old 02-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Ketel One was one of the ones I was considering. It seems affordable and got good reviews.

Smirnoff and Stoli were on my list too.

Are Martinis suppose to burn your throat so horribly that you can't talk for a couple seconds?

Well if you are drinking a true martini, which is mad with Gin yes it is an aquired taste an will burn. If you go for flavored vadkas, I'd lean towards the Stoli.
#20 Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Grey Goose, expensive sipping vodka

Ketel One, good all around

Stolichnaya, authentic russian, not too expensive, good for mixing.

One tip: I've long had a Brita water pitcher and the carbon filter works well with vodka. just keep on filtering five or more times and there will be a noticeable improvement in cheaper vodkas.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#21 Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

The best vodka for my taste is Finlandia. Absolut is my second choice. The reason I prefer Finlandia is it's way smoother than the other vodkas and the hangover never seems to be as bad.

I stay away from Russian vodkas such as Stoli and Smirnoff because they've got that rye taste which I find very harsh on my throat.

m8itcanw8.com
#22 Old 02-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Beginner

Absolut.

Belvedere is better than Grey Goose, in my opinion.

Stoli 100 proof is excellent.

Skyy is okay.

Boy, I wish I could drink Baileys or Cask and Cream, but I'm lactose intolerant, and the fact that it has alkeyhal in it usually results in a bad situation.
#23 Old 02-23-2008, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't care for vodka. But something concerns me.

First you post about family issues ("mother for sale"), then you start talking about alcohol.....

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#24 Old 02-23-2008, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular

#25 Old 02-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

I ended up getting Absolut Cirton. It was on sale for $16. I was going to get Ketel one, but it was $26. The only con I read online about Absolut was it was very overpriced (but still excellent). Since I got a good deal, I couldn't say no

I was going back and forth between regular and citrus, but in the end, I figured cirtus would offer the flavor without the sugar added. One interesting thing I learned yesterday on Wikipedia is that flavored liquors... "are distinct from liqueurs in that liqueurs have a high sugar content, whereas flavored liquors contain no added sugar."

I got home and made a lemon drop martini, a tiny one I had to make it a little weak though because the 2nd sip I tasted burned my ears and throat. Not as bad as the other martinis I've tried though. Must be an acquired burn.
#26 Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I got so sick on vodka last weekend (my friends kept making me do "birthday shots") that I was ill for 2 days afterward. Now I'm doing a liver cleanse to hopefully undo the damage. It will be a long, long time before I ever take another shot.

My favorites are Finlandia and Absolut.
#27 Old 02-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

Grey Goose, expensive sipping vodka

Ketel One, good all around

Stolichnaya, authentic russian, not too expensive, good for mixing.

One tip: I've long had a Brita water pitcher and the carbon filter works well with vodka. just keep on filtering five or more times and there will be a noticeable improvement in cheaper vodkas.

Thanks for the recommendations I'm going to try Grey Goose soon, have my bf bring some to me from his Mom. If Ketel One goes on sale, I'll consider buying it as my regular (non-flavored) vodka.

REALLY? What an awesome idea!!! Whoa, cool Unfortunately, I haven't had the Brita pitcher in years. I have the type that connects to the faucet. Maybe I could pour vodka into our drinking water pipe... oh wait, that wouldn't work
#28 Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Try Monopolova (square bottle with a crooked blue on white label)- You can get it at Trader Joe's for $10 a liter. This is real potato vodka which some traditionalists argue is the only real vodka.
#29 Old 02-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

I don't care for vodka. But something concerns me.

First you post about family issues ("mother for sale"), then you start talking about alcohol.....

I've decided to just become an alcoholic. Yes, it will be a good "career" move for me

I really don't drink much at all, honestly!!!
#30 Old 02-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

I got so sick on vodka last weekend (my friends kept making me do "birthday shots") that I was ill for 2 days afterward. Now I'm doing a liver cleanse to hopefully undo the damage. It will be a long, long time before I ever take another shot.

My favorites are Finlandia and Absolut.

I've never taken a shot before and honestly, wouldn't care to. I have no desire to ever be drunk... I'm scared I'd do something incredibly stupid. I've seen my friends get drunk and they get wild!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page