Best Vodka - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 02-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I NEVER get like that.

I think this is the third time in my life (and I'm not a spring chicken.)

I was terribly embarrassed to be that drunk in front of my friends, but my husband was there keeping an eye on me and he said even though I was blitzed I behaved myself very nicely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't think to check out Trader Joe's... I was just there too.

Everyone: I promise I read all of your posts, I'm just not replying to all because I'd be repeating myself and bugging a lot of readers Thanks for the recommendations!

After seeing this picture, you guys are going to think "Geez... that Heather is an alcoholic!" But seriously, I'm not. I bought some of the these for different occasions and as you can see, most are still pretty full.

Alcohol "Collection"

The generic rum, Captain Morgans, and Jose Cuervo were purchased for my brothers graduation party. My bro gave me the Bacardi because he received it as a gift and didn't want it. The Buttershots is strictly for topping vanilla ice cream The peppermint is for hot cocoa on Christmas Eve (family tradition). The Triple sec is brand new (bought it for a recipe to go with my Absolut). And Midori... that's just my fav Malibu is good too.... made jel shots once with it (not enough to even get buzzed).
#33 Old 02-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

I NEVER get like that.

I think this is the third time in my life (and I'm not a spring chicken.)

I was terribly embarrassed to be that drunk in front of my friends, but my husband was there keeping an eye on me and he said even though I was blitzed I behaved myself very nicely.

I totally believe you If I ever were to even get a bit tipsy, I'd want my bf there to watch me. If the clothes started coming off, then I think I would have reached my limit
#34 Old 02-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not usually a vodka person, although out of the cheaper ones, Absolute is my favorite.

I did discover a fantastic vodka called Chopin, which actually tastes really really good in a martini (a real vodka martini, with just a bit of vermouth).

I wouldn't recommend even trying straight up vodka martinis until you've been drinking for a while. I didn't like them when I was younger. Your palate usually changes and you can stand stronger drinks after awhile.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#35 Old 02-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I say take a half shot of the midori and half shot of the citron over some ice and add some o.j.

soooooooooooooooooo ggggggggggoooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddd!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#36 Old 02-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a friend who is wonderful sober and the biggest slut ever drunk.

She is horrible to be around when she's drinking. She makes moves on everyone's husband (except mine, cause she knows I'd tear her head off.)
#37 Old 02-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

I say take a half shot of the midori and half shot of the citron over some ice and add some o.j.

soooooooooooooooooo ggggggggggoooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddd!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That kind of sounds like the "Sex with an Alligator", that is slowly becoming my Signature Drink.

Sex With An Alligator

Ingredients:

* 1 oz Jägermeister

* 1 oz Melon liqueur [Midori]

* 1 oz Raspberry liqueur

* 1 oz Pineapple juice

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#38 Old 02-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

synergy - Chopin got great reviews, it was just very very pricey I'll work up to that one day.

PlaybackGuru - That sounds good made into a cocktail I LOVE midori.

Music Girl - From the experiences I have had, alcohol makes me very sleepy. Maybe I just need to keep drinking

Scorpius - That sounds YUMMY! If I ever get Jägermeister and raspberry liqueur, I'll give it a try. I can get a tiny bottle of the first for about $1.99.

Yesterday, I made a shot into a cocktail by adding extra soda to it (Midori, Absolut Mandrin, Sprite). It was supposed to taste like a gummy bear... I'm sure it would have with a little less soda or more alcohol
#39 Old 02-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

synergy -

Yesterday, I made a shot into a cocktail by adding extra soda to it (Midori, Absolut Mandrin, Sprite). It was supposed to taste like a gummy bear... I'm sure it would have with a little less soda or more alcohol

That sounds delicious! I didn't read the whole thread but if you got vanilla vodka you should try a pineapple upside down cake shot. Its equal amounts vanilla vodka and pineapple juice with a touch of grenadine. Yum!
#40 Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

synergy - Chopin got great reviews, it was just very very pricey I'll work up to that one day.

Yeah... I just get to drink it for free at work

#41 Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Eristoff and Stolichnaya are good.
#42 Old 02-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I love vodka! Ketel One is my favorite "affordable" vodka. Chopin is my favorite expensive vodka.

I've only encountered one flavored vodka I like, and that's Hangar One Citron. I've never seen it in a liquor store, however.

I had no idea Trader Joe's offered vodka. I thought their liquor store only had wine. I'm *definitely* going to go investigate this $10 potato vodka tomorrow!!
#43 Old 02-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Beginner

I drink sometimes at work (never trashed) and if you learn your limit, you can be 'comfortably drunk' to where you are still processing things as they come along and applying SOME rational thought. In all seriousness, drunk is not bad. Trashed is, but mildly drunk is not. Just keep hydrated and you'll be fine in the morning.

Good pick, btw. Citron makes for some good cocktails, and is pretty smooth as a shot.
#44 Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

DanaSkully-- If you ever want to try Raspberry Vodka (My personal fave) I would go with Smirnoff (even though it's cheap it's GREAT to mix) or Stoli. DO NOT BUY RASPBERRY ABSOLUTE!! It's WAY too sweet and doesn't do well in mixes. I enjoy Stoli Raz and sprite!! It's one of my favorite drinks EVER!! If I'm ever running low on fundage the Smirnoff will suffice and doesn't even really taste bad at all. Happy drinking!! Peace & Love!! Muah!!
#45 Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalmtheory View Post

I drink sometimes at work (never trashed) and if you learn your limit, you can be 'comfortably drunk' to where you are still processing things as they come along and applying SOME rational thought. In all seriousness, drunk is not bad. Trashed is, but mildly drunk is not. Just keep hydrated and you'll be fine in the morning.

I sure hope you work at a bar, or a restaurant. Being intoxicated at work though, I don't think is a good thing.

I drink for free at work, when I am done work. Not when I am actually working. The only thing left for me to do is lock the building.

#46 Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Beginner

I am an exotic dancer so I can have a few drinks on the job.
#47 Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Alas, I was spoiled by having traveled to Russia a few years back and getting to try the real thing. The brands available in the US (even the expensive ones) don't taste very good to me any more.

However, I would go for Absolut, Finlandia, or Skyy. They're all much more agreeable than Smirnoff or similar lower-shelf things. If you are mixing drinks from recipes, do not use the flavored vodkas unless specifically called for, or you feel adventuresome. Since vodka itself is essentially flavorless, most mixed drinks that use vodka depend on that fact, and the other ingredients are chosen so as to produce the desired flavor.

BTW, a properly made martini is not much different from straight shots of gin or vodka. If you're not into taking spirits straight, you'd be better off looking at cocktails that use liqueurs, soft drinks, fruit juices, etc.
#48 Old 02-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

Alas, I was spoiled by having traveled to Russia a few years back and getting to try the real thing. The brands available in the US (even the expensive ones) don't taste very good to me any more.

Agreed! My friend brought back Russian vodka after studying abroad in Russia, and the taste was so fabulous and smooth, much better than any vodka I've ever had before.

As for ones that are able to be purchased around in the US, I have to say my favorite is Svedka. Unless I want the flavored Smirnoffs - I prefer the one that tastes like a Mudslide of these.
#49 Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

That sounds delicious! I didn't read the whole thread but if you got vanilla vodka you should try a pineapple upside down cake shot. Its equal amounts vanilla vodka and pineapple juice with a touch of grenadine. Yum!

Sounds yummy! I saw vanilla absolut in the tiny bottle at the awesome liquor store I went to the day I posted this thread (or the day after, something like that). There wasn't much left, it looked like it was a popular item.

Speaking on pineapple juice, I need to get some, I'm out
#50 Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Yeah... I just get to drink it for free at work

Are you still in the restaurant business? I can't remember.
#51 Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

I love vodka! Ketel One is my favorite "affordable" vodka. Chopin is my favorite expensive vodka.

I've only encountered one flavored vodka I like, and that's Hangar One Citron. I've never seen it in a liquor store, however.

I had no idea Trader Joe's offered vodka. I thought their liquor store only had wine. I'm *definitely* going to go investigate this $10 potato vodka tomorrow!!

When I went to the grocery store, I seem to remember that the prices for Ketel One and Chopin were about the same. Once I work up to drinking expensive vodka, I'll be trying those two (I actually just checked online and the liquor store I go to has their prices... Ketel One is $21.99 and Chopin is $37.99... the grocery store had even higher prices, maybe I'm remembering wrong in saying they were about the same price). I know Ketel One was $28 at the store.

I'll check to see if I can find Hangar One, I'm curious to see how much it costs.

So did you go look for the vodka at TJ? I'm going today, I might check it out. I know their hard liquor section is small, but they have some great stuff!

ETA: I found Hangar One for $37.99 at the local liquor store that's awesome!
#52 Old 02-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

DanaSkully-- If you ever want to try Raspberry Vodka (My personal fave) I would go with Smirnoff (even though it's cheap it's GREAT to mix) or Stoli. DO NOT BUY RASPBERRY ABSOLUTE!! It's WAY too sweet and doesn't do well in mixes. I enjoy Stoli Raz and sprite!! It's one of my favorite drinks EVER!! If I'm ever running low on fundage the Smirnoff will suffice and doesn't even really taste bad at all. Happy drinking!! Peace & Love!! Muah!!

Thank you for the suggestion Smirnoff raspberry actually seems to be very popular... at my local grocery store, it's usually the one that's almost sold out and it's usually on sale too.

I have Bacardi Razz that I mix with Sprite sometime... honestly though, it's not my fav. If I'm going to drink rum, I prefer Captain Morgan's or Malibu.

I bought some Malibu brand Pina Colada mix and have been making Pina Coladas...YUM! Soooo good! I've had other pina coladas that I didn't like at all, but Malibu has it down perfectly! The mix isn't vegan though
#53 Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

However, I would go for Absolut, Finlandia, or Skyy. They're all much more agreeable than Smirnoff or similar lower-shelf things. If you are mixing drinks from recipes, do not use the flavored vodkas unless specifically called for, or you feel adventuresome. Since vodka itself is essentially flavorless, most mixed drinks that use vodka depend on that fact, and the other ingredients are chosen so as to produce the desired flavor.

BTW, a properly made martini is not much different from straight shots of gin or vodka. If you're not into taking spirits straight, you'd be better off looking at cocktails that use liqueurs, soft drinks, fruit juices, etc.

I usually go by the recipe almost exactly (usually dilute, if anything). I do searches for recipes for the alcohol I want to use. I usually go to drinksmixer.com, then go to Glossary, find the alcohol I want to use, then click on recipes underneath. Love it I need to buy regular vodka soon, but I'm going to wait until my alcohol collection clears a bit.
#54 Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadinSacto View Post

Try Monopolova (square bottle with a crooked blue on white label)- You can get it at Trader Joe's for $10 a liter. This is real potato vodka which some traditionalists argue is the only real vodka.

Are you sure TJ carries it? I went to today and didn't see it.
#55 Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Are you sure TJ carries it? I went to today and didn't see it.

They do at the Redlands store (I saw it yesterday), and they used to at the Riverside store by Tyler Mall. It has a crooked white label with blue block letters that look like they were stamped on with a cheap printer. "Monopolova" isn't the largest text on the label. I think "Vodka" is.
#56 Old 03-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

They do at the Redlands store (I saw it yesterday), and they used to at the Riverside store by Tyler Mall. It has a crooked white label with blue block letters that look like they were stamped on with a cheap printer. "Monopolova" isn't the largest text on the label. I think "Vodka" is.

The Riverside store is by the Riverside Plaza, not the mall. I wish they'd build one near my house All of the ones I picked up and read at TJ today were filtered by grains. I wonder if they were out and took the price tag down because of it. I had no idea you lived so close to me (or did I? Maybe I knew that and forgot ). Are you actually in Redlands or live close to there? If I can't find it next time I go to the Riverside store, I'll either drive out to Redlands or ask my sister to pick some up.

This is what it looks like, right?
#57 Old 03-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The Riverside store is by the Riverside Plaza, not the mall. I wish they'd build one near my house All of the ones I picked up and read at TJ today were filtered by grains. I wonder if they were out and took the price tag down because of it. I had no idea you lived so close to me (or did I? Maybe I knew that and forgot ). Are you actually in Redlands or live close to there? If I can't find it next time I go to the Riverside store, I'll either drive out to Redlands or ask my sister to pick some up.

This is what it looks like, right?

Yeah - that's right - it moved. I forgot. It used to be one of the outside access stores to the Mall back when it was Tyler.

Redlands - if you're on the 10 East take the Orange Street exit, go up a block, and it's right next to Vons. The label on the version they sell at Trader's is much simpler, but still pretty obvious.
#58 Old 03-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yeah - that's right - it moved. I forgot. It used to be one of the outside access stores to the Mall back when it was Tyler.

Redlands - if you're on the 10 East take the Orange Street exit, go up a block, and it's right next to Vons. The label on the version they sell at Trader's is much simpler, but still pretty obvious.

It was the Plaza then too (Tyler is about 4 miles down the freeway). It used to be on the backside of the original Plaza before they tore it down and put it the theater, restaurants, and all of the other shops. I vaguely remember the old layout, but it was only about 50 feet from the old store I was sad because by tearing down the old place, they took down a huge part of Riverside history. My Grandpa worked as a photographer at Harris (now Gottschalks, still there) and inside the mall too. Check out this pic... cool, huh? Have you seen those postcard/picture books of our local cities at the bookstores? If not, check them out, they're AWESOME. They have different areas of Riverside and Redlands.

I've been to the Redlands store before with my sister, she used to live right around the corner from it. She recently moved and I don't know where her new place is, but it can't be too far away. I love Redlands... State street is awesome (especially during the holidays). The Gourmet Pizza Shoppe is to die for
#59 Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It was the Plaza then too (Tyler is about 4 miles down the freeway). It used to be on the backside of the original Plaza before they tore it down and put it the theater, restaurants, and all of the other shops. I vaguely remember the old layout, but it was only about 50 feet from the old store I was sad because by tearing down the old place, they took down a huge part of Riverside history. My Grandpa worked as a photographer at Harris (now Gottschalks, still there) and inside the mall too. Check out this pic... cool, huh? Have you seen those postcard/picture books of our local cities at the bookstores? If not, check them out, they're AWESOME. They have different areas of Riverside and Redlands.

I've been to the Redlands store before with my sister, she used to live right around the corner from it. She recently moved and I don't know where her new place is, but it can't be too far away. I love Redlands... State street is awesome (especially during the holidays). The Gourmet Pizza Shoppe is to die for

Ah! I stand corrected. I remember now. It was a while ago, wasn't it?
#60 Old 03-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I didn't mean to keep correcting you, I was trying to be very nice. It was a while ago, that's why it's probably hard to remember. I remember that the Sav-On was next to Trader Joe's and since it was open 24 hours, that's where my Mom went to pick up my prescriptions when I was really sick at night.

I wish the Plaza still looked like that picture I showed you. I LOVE retro stuff. I should have been a 60's girl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page