Looking for Home-Based Animal oriented business ideas! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 AM
DLS
Veggie Regular

I own 20 acres of land situated over 4 miles up a logging road. No power other than solar and a generator. Miles of trails and logging roads off the property. Lakes, creeks and marshes with lots of wildlife on and off the property. I have over 30 years experience with dogs and a lifetime of farming and handling livestock.

Anybody have any uique ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

How about a dog sitting business? Not unique, but it can be quite profitable.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#3 Old 02-20-2008, 02:20 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Thanks Beancounter,

As it is recreational property well off the beaten path and very rustic. No power or running water other than solar and generator, well and water pump. I can not offer any of the usual conveniences. But I was thinking on the lines of a doggy park with owner and dog camping and hiking, or just laying about enjoying the peace and quiet of the wilderness. I would have to keep it pretty simple, but that would be the charm of it.

Also our local SPCA at this time has no facilities here to house animals, all must be fostered. I was thinking of contacting them and see if we can work something out.

All the ideas I can get from all of you would be appreciated. I am not looking to get rich, just help out some animals and make a living at the same time.
#4 Old 02-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=DLS]Thanks Beancounter,

As it is recreational property well off the beaten path and very rustic. No power or running water other than solar and generator, well and water pump. I can not offer any of the usual conveniences.
Quote:
But I was thinking on the lines of a doggy park with owner and dog camping and hiking, or just laying about enjoying the peace and quiet of the wilderness.

That sounds good if the demographics in your area "fit" that mindset. Doggy parks tend to be an urban/yuppie thing. People in rural areas may not have any interest in that.

Quote:
I would have to keep it pretty simple, but that would be the charm of it. Also our local SPCA at this time has no facilities here to house animals, all must be fostered. I was thinking of contacting them and see if we can work something out.

If you can work out an agreement where they will pay you some type of "maintenance fee", I think that would be ideal for you.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#5 Old 02-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I like that you're asking this and wish I had information for you... but I don't. We're looking at eventually buying some land and maintaining it in it's natural state with as little impact as possible. I'd like to set up some sort of sanctuary and/or non-profit organization type thing but the plans are so far off we're still working on getting the house ready to sell in the awful market.

Campsites sound like fun as do B&B type things if you're gonna live there. Just be careful that people don't assume they can hunt on your land if it's very rural. I'd love to know what you work out and wish you Luck!
#6 Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 AM

BeachBnny, I want to get farm land and have a sanctuary type thing, too. It's been my life long dream!
#7 Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Mine too!!! My Husband (the metasaurus) is totally supportive of all of it and wants the same thing which is beautiful. He's thinking about finishing his degree in forestry science (or whatever that's called) so he can be a park ranger by day, sanctuary owner by night lol. He's made calls to parks and we have a general "plan" for how we want to do it. What a wonderful life that would be. *sighs*
#8 Old 02-21-2008, 09:27 AM

Aww! Yeah, it would be amazing. I already live in a country town, so finding farm land isn't a problem. Affording, it, eh. I'm saving up!
#9 Old 02-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Funny! We have the exact opposite problem. We've got the cash to buy land outright but it's finding it and selling the house to move out of the city that is our obstacle.

We should combine forces and accomplish this! lol
#10 Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM
DLS
Veggie Regular

thanks everybody for their ideas

I guess what I am going to have to do first is figure out how much money I need to make a month in order to make a living off this land. I want to keep the business small, something that I will enjoy doing and not be overwhelmed by it. For example: If I did the cabin rental, owner and dog camping idea say for $250.00 a week per cabin and I figured I needed $1500 a month to live on , then two cabins rented for 3 weeks would cover it.

Maybe I should start a survey. LOL

How many people here would pay $250.00 a week for a cabin in the woods were you and your dog could run free and wild.

I know I may have to charge more to cover my costs and still make a living, but time will tell. I think I would offer tent and RV sites as well. It would also be a good way for people to learn how to survive without electricity and running water. As I have lived this way for 12 years now and just LOVE it.
#11 Old 02-21-2008, 12:17 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Thanks Funkified,

I am located in Powell River {the sunshine coast} B.C. Canada.

And yes there are tons of campsites, but none that are specifically for dogs and their owners. A totally off-leash, doggie oriented site is what I am planning. I am sure that most of my clients will be out of town city folk who do not have many places that they can vacation with their pet. I am thinking of offering an agility course and other doggy activities. Plus of course all the miles of hiking available. I could even expand and offer guided hikes off the property, canoeing, scenic saltwater tours as we own an old 40 foot fishing troller as well and the B.C. coast has awesome places to see, as well as all the wildlife. Last time we were out boating I got to watch a school of Dolphins playing around us, they are amazing creatures. Anyway these are just ideas, I hope to get to work on the first cabin soon. We have our own sawmill, so the cabins will be totally hand made by us. I am getting very excited about all this.
#12 Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Hey Funkified, got any ideas for a name? Maybe we should start a name that business post. LOL ANyway I was thinking of naming it after my first Doberman, It would be called "Sadies Place" or how about a play on words like "Ruffing It". What do you think?
#13 Old 02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Good luck! I can vouch that my dogs would *love* visiting your place. However, we could only come for a day, not a week, because I have to have electricity and running water.
#14 Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 AM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Wolfie, for you I would light your candles, and pour water for you too. hahahahaha And remember, I have a suana too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#15 Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the offer, but I need a tv and a shower. And heat, if it's below 70.
#16 Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Wolfie, we have a shower and a TV, plus satellite internet. Did I mention the Sauna? LOL.

And for heat, a nice cozy wood burning stove!!! 70 ha we can probably get it up to 80 no problem.
#17 Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Then that's definitely worth $250.
#18 Old 02-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Totally worth it!!! Sign me up

I'm with Funkified- my Husband and I want to eventually get out of the city, off the grid, and live in a yurt on some land. Hopefully, we'd be able to do some sort of non-profit work with rescued animals.
#19 Old 03-07-2008, 02:23 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Just to update you guys on my business venture. I am waiting for a reply from the Forestry Office about the possibilty of us dropping a couple of Fir trees just off the property to use for building our cabins. I have also enrolled in a Entrepeneural Business program as well as a Web design course. I have done marketing surveys at quite a few froums and have had a great response. There are a lot of people who would love to go Ruffin' It with their Dogs.
#20 Old 03-09-2008, 03:50 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

Thought you guys might like to see some pictures of my place. If not, well here they are anyway. LOL

#21 Old 03-19-2008, 12:35 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

I am thinking of this cabin plan, what do you guys think? The interior would be designed differently to accommodate a small kitchenette area.

#22 Old 03-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Beginner

I love it! How soon can I move in?
#23 Old 03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

hahahaha MsChris, How much would you pay for a stay at my Nature retreat? By the day, week or month? Dogs are welcome at no extra cost too! Price is the hardest thing for me to calculate, as there are very few such places advertised to compare to.
#24 Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Beginner

Well, don't go by any prices I'd quote. There are quite a few dog friendly campsites around here that are way cheap. But I definitely like your cabin arrangement. I don't know what temps are like up there, but I know if it were here and it had a window unit for AC, I'd happily pay $250-$300 for the week or $100 for the weekend. Check out places like http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...amp/camp.shtml for more info about some other locations, maybe that will help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page