Bad Habits? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Have any bad habits?

Do you want to change them?

Are you working on it?

Are you fine with them and don't view them as "bad" but others do?

I'll start:

Mine are all anxiety-related.

Not sleeping enough. I am working on it and want to sleep more. Taking care of the other things (see below) will help me get more sleep.

Procrastinating. *sigh* Need I say more?

Getting angry too quickly. I don't like this and have really been working on it. I have a little road rage-ish issues. I don't go psycho, rather I just get very angry with poor road behavior.

Spending too much time on the computer. Yeah. VB is an addiction too. When I can't sleep or am procrastinating, the computer provides an outlet for the anxiety I feel. About 50% of my work is done on the computer too, so, its a self-propelling issue.

Drinking coffee on occasion. I like coffee. I don't like the after effects of the caffeine (I like it strong, strong STRONG and bitter). I don't feel good about decaf either. Quandary!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Baby Love

The bad habits of mine I'd like to change are:

- My Diet Coke vice

- Procratinating (which involves all sort of other bad habits)

Sometimes, I use my Diet Coke vice as a means of procrastination.
#3 Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Cursing... Do I wanna change it #$% no ! Cursing is great XD Provides a bit of flavor to monotonous plain conversations... Thats right... Oh yeha and Meth, damn meth...
#4 Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I also have the procrastination problem. Can you tell? I also have a really hard time being productive when I am alone. I am alone now... On VB... *sigh*
#5 Old 02-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Smoking and cursing. Either of which I don't want to give up either. I know I should give up the smoking but its my stress reliever. And cursing.. screw that I think the "f" word is one of the greatest words ever.
#6 Old 02-15-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Smoking and cursing. Either of which I don't want to give up either. I know I should give up the smoking but its my stress reliever. And cursing.. screw that I think the "f" word is one of the greatest words ever.

Smoking creates stress. It's how the whole effing nicotine addiction thing works.
#7 Old 02-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Ankle Biter

My worst bad habit is procrastination and lack of productivity. Which is not so great for an artist.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't seem to stop eating. Happy, sad, tired, angry, stressed .... the list goes on. I have decided I'm a very binge-y person; its just that my substance of choice rotates. Sadly, I never seem to binge on exercise. Food, wine, collecting cookbooks, etc. all fair game. Haven't got a clue how to stop.
#9 Old 02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

People class my sucking my thumb as a bad habit, personally i think it's a great habit and it's not going to change.

Other bad habits. Leaving a mess everywhere, that i'd change. Lack of self control when it comes to everything from food to people. It causes far too many problems so i'd love that to change. Besides those can't think of many bad habits. I'm sure to everyone else i have loads.
#10 Old 02-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Beginner

My eating habbits are terrible. I won't eat all day then come about 11pm I eat as much junk as I can find. I am trying to change this by forcing myself to eat healthy during the day, but it's difficult to break bad habbits.
#11 Old 02-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Sugar and coffee.

I have the caffeine addiction kicked - though I do still like a little bit from time to time (I'll put a scoop of regular coffee in with 4 scoops decaf, for example). I don't have the dependency on caffeine any more - I can function without it most days and don't get the withdrawal headaches any more.

The sugar is another issue and it seems to come in phases (and contrary to what I used to think, it doesn't seemt o be linked to my womanly cycle). Just this week I made chocolate chip walnut cookies, banana bread, chocolate chip cookie cake with vanilla frosting, and chocolate mousse with strawberries. Luckily my bf takes most of it to work so we can't eat it all. The banana bread is in the freezer, waiting. I really need to get off sugar.

And I'm a terrible procrastinator. And I don't pay attention to detail - this seems to bother my bf more than it bothers me
#12 Old 02-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Picking my face
#13 Old 02-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

The really annoying habit I really really want to break:

I chew my tongue. Often when I'm stressed, or hungry, or tired... but pretty much all the time. I don't know how to stop. I catch myself chewing my tongue all the time. Often there's no anxiety trigger that I can discern, so I don't know what's up. I only started noticing a couple of years ago. I don't know if I was doing it before.

Help!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#14 Old 02-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Mine are all anxiety-related.

Not sleeping enough. I am working on it and want to sleep more. Taking care of the other things (see below) will help me get more sleep.

Procrastinating. *sigh* Need I say more?

Getting angry too quickly. I don't like this and have really been working on it. I have a little road rage-ish issues. I don't go psycho, rather I just get very angry with poor road behavior.

Spending too much time on the computer. Yeah. VB is an addiction too. When I can't sleep or am procrastinating, the computer provides an outlet for the anxiety I feel. About 50% of my work is done on the computer too, so, its a self-propelling issue.

Drinking coffee on occasion. I like coffee. I don't like the after effects of the caffeine (I like it strong, strong STRONG and bitter). I don't feel good about decaf either. Quandary!

OK, apart from that last coffee bit, that's pretty much me. I've had stress issues for some time now, and also have a ton of other issues I'd like to work on. I'm currently doing CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), which helps a lot in identifying my thought patterns and finding ways of tackling them. Meditation helps a lot, too, but I do tend to put off meditating (just one aspect of my procrastination)!

I've actually found a way of using my internet addiction: it's really hard for me to wake up in the morning; I seriously sleep through my alarms if I haven't had enough sleep, or, if I do wake, I go right back to sleep. So, I put my laptop on standby on my bedside table and turn it on as soon as I'm half awake. I actually care more about checking VB than going back to sleep, so I do eventually wake up fully - and on time!

I do get irritated with people easily. I've got a bunch of pet peeves, and it seems I went and picked the ones that occur the most in the people around me. As a result, I'm always rolling my eyes or going into (futile) arguments with people, especially online. I can't tolerate wild conjecturing and wilful ignorance. Argh. It can be very frustrating.

Oh, and I tend to eat for comfort. Corn flakes, chips and crisps are on the top of my list of comfort foods, and then follow stuff like canned baked beans, bread, tofu/seitan sausages and hummus. Another bad habit I seem to have picked up lately is not eating very well, i.e. resorting to junky food that can be prepared quickly over a proper meal that would take an extra 15-20 minutes. I've working late the past few months and coming home tired and hungry.
#15 Old 02-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I need to drink ice water every day or I get cranky with the cool water that comes from the tap. (Backpacking trips excepted.) This is not necessarily good for my throat.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 02-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Have any bad habits? Smoking too much, drinking too much, swearing too much, procrastinating, stupid eating habits, erratic sleep pattern, anxiety things like NEVER SITTING STILL, and poking and peeling at things on my body when I'm bored....do I have any good habits!?!??!

Do you want to change them? I wish I didn't procrastinate so bad. The others I'll work on later.

Are you working on it? I'm trying too on the procrastination! Especially with school work, etc.

Are you fine with them and don't view them as "bad" but others do? I'd don't see whats so bad with smoking/drinking/swearing, just as long as its done in the approcpriate time/place ((as in, not a work or something ))

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#17 Old 02-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a night person and I like to party. This means I often spend a lot of nights going to bed after sunrise and sleeping for most of the day.

I don't see this as a bad habit, I enjoy living my life that way, but, some of my non-partying friends and family do see it as bad, and have recently been dropping huge hints that it's not healthy or normal for someone in their thirties to be doing that.

They complain that they hardly ever get to see me unless they make an appointment or track me down on the internet. Lately, I've been accused of being self-involved because I wont fit in with their daytime lifestyle

I don't see why going to bed at a different time than most people is a bad habit as long as I'm fit and healthy. *shrug*
#18 Old 02-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Have any bad habits?

Yes

Most of them I keep to myself because they are embarrassing.

One of my bad habits is taking a lot of baths.

I don't feel awake/ready anymore unless I take a bath in the morning. How bad/wastful is that.

I started this nasty habit in response to being sick with bi weekly disease. The bath made it feel better and I thought if I would bath regularly it might help treat bi weekly disease.

I get bored easily with chores and leave them half finnished. It's bad enough that I usually quit things because I'm frequently hungry or tired.

Keeping hobbies stored and never touching them. It clutters up my place.

But no, I can't get rid of all the hobbies and I'm not motivated to do them alone.

Realistically will I ever find someone who wants to my activity partner?.

Buying healthy slow/dried food and then keeping it stored for a long time because ity takea lot of time to prepare.

Responding to some people online who are only trying to get a reaction and not interested in the exchange of information.. Note to me, start igonring them.

Do you want to change them?

I do what I can. Most of them came from responding to bi weekly disease or responding to lack of self empowerment. My cravings for self empowerment were very strong and so I reacted very negatively when the economy stopped me from becoming self empowered.

Are you working on it?

Sometimes yes, espceially the ones which are self harmful/ destructive.

Anything which may interfere with self empowerment or health is a priority with me.

Are you fine with them and don't view them as "bad" but others do?

Nope and I'll hide them from others whenever I can.
#19 Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to agree with the other procrastinators. This is a habit I have as well. I don't think I'm quite as bad as I use to be. I am trying to do better about putting things like housework off so much.

I know I spend way too much time at the computer but I really do not want to change this.

I need to be more active and exercise. This falls under the procrastination I think. I will get around to it eventually. I keep buying gadgets to use for exercise. I have to stop doing this!! I do think the bikes were a good idea though and we WILL ride them!!

I probably should try to stop cursing too...

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#20 Old 02-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

I don't see this as a bad habit, I enjoy living my life that way, but, some of my non-partying friends and family do see it as bad, and have recently been dropping huge hints that it's not healthy or normal for someone in their thirties to be doing that.

They complain that they hardly ever get to see me unless they make an appointment or track me down on the internet. Lately, I've been accused of being self-involved because I wont fit in with their daytime lifestyle

I think the real issue with your family is they're STILL ****ted off about the vegas wedding.

m8itcanw8.com
#21 Old 02-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

My bad habits are: procrastinating, picking at my face, not getting enough sleep, and knowing I have bad time management skills but not doing much about it.

Of course I'd like to change all my bad habits, but it can be hard. I'm currently working on the not getting enough sleep part, though - been going to bed earlier recently.

My mom would add another bad habit to the list: spending too much. I disagree though.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#22 Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Beginner

Wow..thanks for starting this thread because I had no idea how many people have the same bad habits I have.

Picking my face-

Argh....maybe going on Accutane and being done with this once and for all since self control seems impossible at this point.

Binge eating- Eh...it doesn't happen too much, if I didn't feel so guilty about it, it wouldn't be a big deal I think. It happens like once a week, other than the guilt I'm honestly not sure how bad it is for me. I mean, the extra 800 calories or so can't help, but it's usually on a day I didn't eat enough anyway. More insight on this would be helpful.

Internet-This is new in the last 2 months and it HAS to stop. I absolutely LOVE the idea of waking up with it. I am a compulsive snooze-button-er, and if I got up to check online before I start my day, it would wake me up. I think I will start doing that, and limit myself to like 30 minutes each night, other than Skype because I'm in a long distance relationship.
#23 Old 02-18-2008, 03:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Mine also include picking my face and spending too long on the internet!!

Another is i click my joints, and people always tell me to stop and that it's a bad habit (or maybe it just freaks them out). My fingers will click when i open them out and then bend them, same with my toes. I also "knuckle crunch", and my knees, hips, ankles, wrists will make loud clicks as well I'm not sure if i consider it a bad habit, but my friends do!
#24 Old 02-18-2008, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

procrastination, not exercising enough, being dependent on coffee, biting my nails.

I've already cut down the coffee from an amount that had a negative impact on my life (3 - 10 mugs a day depending on the day) to an amount that brings only good things and smiles (1 - 3 mugs a day, usually 1 or 2). I have no intention of giving up completely 'cause I LOVE it I realise some people would consider being dependent on it a bad habit though.

the others, I need to work on. biting my nails bothers me least, the other two are really bad
#25 Old 02-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Procrastination when it comes to my studies and homework. It seems like I just can't make myself sit down and actually study!ARgh!
#26 Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Beginner

Whew, bad habits. I have too many to count!

Top of the list would have to be cussing. I could make a sailor blush. But I gave up drinking and smoking, so it's pretty much my last vice and I'm clinging.

My husband would say that my worst is leaving my socks on the floor. I have super cold feet but I hate to sleep with socks on so I wear them right up until I hop in the bed. So everyday there are two dirty socks right next to my side of the bed and it makes him crazy!
#27 Old 02-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Nail biting, compulsive eating (though you wouldn't know it to look at me), and absolutely-must-win-all-the-time-win-win-win cut throat attitude toward trivial things such as video games.
#28 Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Gee, Soy 6-Pack pretty much sums it up for me too. I've have bitten my nails down to nothingness since I was a young child. I enjoy food more than I really should (and it is showing now). And oh yes, I do like to win! The only thing I'd add to that is Chrissy and I curse like the f'ing Osbourne's.
#29 Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

smoking

cursing like a sailor

drinking

not washing my hair often enough

**** the danger pedal faster

but no, i don't mind any of them.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#30 Old 02-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

but no, i don't mind any of them.

Well, then they are not "bad" at all, are they?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page