Making a Career Change (again!) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Have any of you made a change of career after many years of education, training and efforts had been put into it?

I am really reconsidering my choice to get my degree in Nursing, for many reasons. I may pursue an additional degree in Psychology instead.

I would love to hear from any of you who were well into a career or educational training program but made a change.

What made you change your path?

How difficult was it (financially/emotionally) and how much support or resistance did you receive from your family?

Any advice, thoughts, questions you can think of that may help me is appreciated.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Well not so much with the education and training, but I was at my last job for 13 years. I went back to school (a trade school) to reunite with my first passion, Television. I spent a year in school and decided to quit the job so I could be fully dedicated to my new career. After finishing school I did an internship (unpaid) for a year. So my family was very supportive. I was already divorced by this time, which was a major reason for the change. I have been employeed by the Studio that I did my internship at for the past 4 years and love it. Surely making a change at 31 years old and going into a highly competitive field was scary, but I took the plunge because it was something I love doing. For 13 years I hated getting up, because I had to go to work. Now I get up early. I believe we all are on a path to where we need to be to contribute what we can to this world. That path lead me to where I am, veganism and VB. And I think I am contributing by playing PSA's on the four channels I run from In Defense of Animals and PETA to name a few and also involved with getting local NK Shelters in to present some of the beautiful animals waiting to be adopted.

Change is good, change makes us strong, change gets us to where we are destined to be.
#3 Old 02-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Have any of you made a change of career after many years of education, training and efforts had been put into it?

I am really reconsidering my choice to get my degree in Nursing, for many reasons. I may pursue an additional degree in Psychology instead.

I would love to hear from any of you who were well into a career or educational training program but made a change.

What made you change your path?

How difficult was it (financially/emotionally) and how much support or resistance did you receive from your family?

Any advice, thoughts, questions you can think of that may help me is appreciated.

I actually got my master's degree before I changed fields. I have history degrees, but couldn't find much to do with them. My ex-wife got me a job in mental health just to pay the bills. That was about 8 years ago. Ironically, she has her MA in Psych, but is now working in insurance, while I'm still in mental health. I really enjoy working in the field and I don't see me changing fields again. I've often thought of getting a counseling or social work degree, but financially, its just not practical right now. Maybe in a year or so it will be.

For me, it has been financially very frustrating. Because I don't have a degree in the field, there isn't a lot of mobility. I do love what I do right now though. Emotionally, it has only been difficult when I think about the degrees I have that aren't really doing much for me, but thats kind of a minor thing. Whats done is done.

My family/friends were fine with everything that happened. All were really supportive, they kinda left me to do whatever worked. I did get some "advice" from my parents at times that was unwelcome, but they were mostly supportive.

It hasn't been easy over the years, but I'm comfortable now. I guess the only advice I would give is to continue thinking about it. Take your time and consider what would make you happiest. I know I have a tendency to look before I leap.

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you!
#4 Old 02-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with a psychology degree? How will it benefit your professional goals, does it complement a degree you already possess?
#5 Old 02-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow *Ahimsa*! Aren't you already a nutritionist, holistic health practitioner, doula, massage therapist, and personal chef??? Good on you going back to school!

I never went back to school for a career change, but I did change degrees twice before making up my mind. I started in Anthropology, then made a drastic switch to Electrical Engineering, then finally Computer Science and Physics. It took me seven straight years (summers too!) before I finally graduated, and I don't think I can EVER go back! My last year was such hell (7 straight years will do that to you), so I've sworn off school LOL. I'm sure I'll change my mind after a few years of 9-5 though! (I only graduated in November, so haven't worked in the real world for very long).
#6 Old 02-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Kingsnorkie, it is true that without an advanced degree in psychology it is a challenge to be paid a living wage! I know people with a 4 year degree in psychology that make $15 an hour and are LUCKY to get that. That isn't good enough for me. For me to be paid as I am accustomed to being paid (but full time) and to do what I want, I need a PhD in psychology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with a psychology degree? How will it benefit your professional goals, does it complement a degree you already possess?

Yes, it will complement what I plan on doing (I have a few things in mind) and what I already do with holistic health and wellness and will take me further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

Wow *Ahimsa*! Aren't you already a nutritionist, holistic health practitioner, doula, massage therapist, and personal chef??? Good on you going back to school!

I've never STOPPED going to school, which is why I have more than one degree and numerous certifications.

Those are things I had training for over the last many years and that I continue to be trained in. I am an education junkie. I love doing all those things but need to have the things that will help me buy a house, like a 401K plan, retirement options, insurance etc.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 02-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not yet into my career change to writing (at least, I'm not paid to do it yet), but my fiance went from a corporate job of many years and much money and is now a dog trainer. For her, it was a combination of the dreary office life combined with the need to do something meaningful. We talked about career changes while still only dating, and we both agreed to support each other in the future, for years if need be, while we experiment with new careers and passions. Right now I pull most of the cash in, but that may change if she goes into independent training full time or completes her own book. That help any?
#8 Old 02-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy 6-Pack View Post

That help any?

Yes, that exchange is right up my alley (see above posts about some of the "hats" I like to wear). Thanks!

#9 Old 02-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Kingsnorkie, it is true that without an advanced degree in psychology it is a challenge to be paid a living wage! I know people with a 4 year degree in psychology that make $15 an hour and are LUCKY to get that. That isn't good enough for me. For me to be paid as I am accustomed to being paid (but full time) and to do what I want, I need a PhD in psychology.

No doubt about that. You don't go into this field to get rich. I make just a couple dollars more then that, but I live in an area that is very low cost, so it makes ends meet. But you're right about there not being money in it without advanced degrees, mostly PhD's.
#10 Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnorkie View Post

No doubt about that. You don't go into this field to get rich. I make just a couple dollars more then that, but I live in an area that is very low cost, so it makes ends meet. But you're right about there not being money in it without advanced degrees, mostly PhD's.

AND you have experience AND a master's degree. Think of how bleak it is for those who aren't as educated or experienced as you!

#11 Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 PM

I have a degree in Psychology and unless you are planning on getting your PhD or at least a masters there isn't very much you can do with a bachelors in psychology same applies to sociology and more recently social work.

There is always case work if you are into that and if you network right while you are studying psychology you maybe able to get a position as an assistant to a psychologist or psychiatrist or at the very least it should make it easier to get a position in mental health if that is the way you want to go. That is how I got my first job my juvenile justice professor helped me get the position. It all depends on far you want to take it. It is an interesting subject to study though. Psychology classes make great elective courses !

I'm actually going back to school to get my degree in exercise science!! My ultimate goal would be to have my own gym and of course it will have vegan snacks and smoothies but that is a long way from now though!
#12 Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVeganRunner View Post

I have a degree in Psychology and unless you are planning on getting your PhD or at least a masters there isn't very much you can do with a bachelors in psychology same applies to sociology and more recently social work.

Yes, I agree, as I too have a degree in psychology. That's why I want to go on and get another! There aren't many options at this level that pay well enough to survive.

#13 Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think psychology and nursing is a great combo. I know a woman that was a nurse for many years and then went on to get a phd in psych. It worked out very well for her. She's the chair of the psych dept at her uni now.

Quote:

How far along are you? I'm not too sure how nursing degrees work but I've heard there are 1, 2 & 4 year nursing degrees. Would it be possible to finish up one of those? Again, I think you could make your education as a nurse work with a phd in pysch. I have a friend that really wants to go into nursing (from scratch really but he's an EMT). His primary profession is in computer science and it's difficult for him to leave the field because of $$. Once he is able, he intends to follow that path. We only have one life, follow your heart!
#14 Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Baby Love

Quote:

Yes, I agree, as I too have a degree in psychology. That's why I want to go on and get another! There aren't many options at this level that pay well enough to survive.

My sister has a bachelor's and and master's in pyschology. Once she completed her masters she was tired of school and didn't want to get a PHd. She's had a wide variety of jobs over the years, but I don't think she's ever had a job in the field. In the past several years, she has been using her mental-emotional education to exceed in medical sales and easily earns 3-4 times my salary as an architect *grumble grumble*

I've gone back and forth between jobs that feed my compassionate nurturing side (working with children) and jobs that fit my need to be mentally stimulated, solve spatial puzzles, etc.(architecture). It'd be great to find something that feeds both and pays the bills. So far I haven't come up with anything.

Good luck on your career journey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page